This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110801 - Git

edited August 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about Git: the fast version control system. First, Scott discovers the sadness of attempting to develop iOS Applications on our poor old Mac Mini (Core Solo), Rym built his HTPC, and GeekNights has a fancy new Facebook page. In the news, commodity face recognition, data mining, and data aggregation will do exactly what we expected and can, among other things, reveal your SSN. Adobe releases a preview of Edge.

Download MP3

Comments

• Topic branches are awesome. They keep your changes localized and let you choose when you want to introduce your changes and when to deal with other developer's changes.

"Oh good god" is the best response I've ever heard for WebDAV.
    It is easy to shoot your foot off with git, but also easy to revert to a previous foot and merge it with your current leg.
    —Jack William Bell
  • edited August 2011
    Mr Period! Normally the mp3 link is on the word "GeekNight" in the forum and rss posts. Today it is at the end and the rss feed is broken in iTunes.

Sort it out!

EDIT:

It seems like Libsyn isn't working for me, as three other podcasts have failed to download too, and the mp3 file linked to above didn't work either.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Mr Period! Normally the mp3 link is on the word "GeekNight" in the forum and rss posts. Today it is at the end and the rss feed is broken in iTunes.

Sort it out!

EDIT:

It seems like Libsyn isn't working for me, as three other podcasts have failed to download too, and the mp3 file linked to above didn't work either.
    Works for me. Perhaps Libsyn got their shit together.
  • Works for me. Perhaps Libsyn got their shit together.
    Yup, all the podcasts started working again. I'll listen to it later.
  • This blog has a few good articles on how to use git when you are writing papers (or really anything).
  • I know a lot of people seem to want it but when Rym and Scott get really technical my eyes glaze over and I start drooling a bit. Its like that first episode of The IT Crowd where Roy is testing Jen to see if she actually knows about computers and all she hears coming out of his mouth is white noise...
  • I know a lot of people seem to want it but when Rym and Scott get really technical my eyes glaze over and I start drooling a bit
    We didn't get technical in this one.
  • I'm fairly technically oriented, and I would say it wasn't "technical", but it was rather difficult to follow at times. A lot of Scott's description was probably accurate, but needed a visual aid or two to make things easier to follow.
  • I'm fairly technically oriented, and I would say it wasn't "technical", but it was rather difficult to follow at times. A lot of Scott's description was probably accurate, but needed a visual aid or two to make things easier to follow.
    That's always needed.
  • I have the same problem with your board game descriptions. It'd be awesome if you guys did board game reviews with a camera.
  • I know a lot of people seem to want it but when Rym and Scott get really technical my eyes glaze over and I start drooling a bit
    We didn't get technical in this one.
    Hey guys, I wanted to say I'm sorry if I seemed down on you guys I wrote that when I was half asleep and when I reread it just now it sounded way harsher than I intended. I'm not really up on software and development thereof so it all sounds really technical to me.
  • edited August 2011
    I liked this one. It was very "what" and "why" descriptive, with no "how" though, so I've no idea what to do next, even if I want to use this for writing projects rather than coding. I'll look into it in a few weeks when I have time.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I liked this one. It was very "what" and "why" descriptive, with no "how" though, so I've no idea what to do next, even if I want to use this for writing projects rather than coding. I'll look into it in a few weeks when I have time.
    That's because the "how" is a bunch of command line stuff that is relatively unfriendly. Some people have tried to make Git GUIs, but they suck and fuck everything up.
  • This tutorial explains the how quite nicely.
  • Wow, I'm still trudging through your archives and I'm at the point where it's almost the year anniversery of your Mac Mini. Seeing the words "Poor old mac mini" in the description of the show feels almost silly.
  • edited August 2011
    Good episode, though I would've liked Scott to go deeper - assuming there was anything something to go into.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited August 2011
    Good episode, though I would've liked Scott to go deeper.
    Not enough time in the show. Read this PDF instead. http://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/git.from.bottom.up.pdf and this site http://gitready.com/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited August 2011
    Yeah, that's clear enough; the show isn't the right place for several reasons already mentioned in previous posts.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Should we do "how" shows?

We could, but they'd have to be video. That quintuples the production time.

This is in the hopper, but it's fairly low at the moment. (After RFE, Project ST, PAX, NYCC/NYAF, and ConnectiCon video work).
  • Should we do "how" shows?
    Wouldn't be a bad idea. It would be a refreshing surprise to have a video podcast every now and then, especially when it comes to tech stuff.
  • Rym, Scott, this one was great. I really enjoyed it. We're going to stick it in the hackerpublicradio.org feed for our syndicated show this coming Thursday, 08-11-2011. We won't be editing it at all, other than to add our bumper music to it. We'll have links to frontrowcrew.com in the show notes also. is there anything you'd like us to add to the show notes, or would you prefer that we just used yours? Thanks for the show, and for using CC as the license.
  • This site explains visually what's happening when you do various GIT commands. Thought it was pretty cool, and helped me understand some of the things that happen when you do various GIT commands.