This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110803 - Anime We Want to See

edited August 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the anime we want to see other than Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Third Gig. Otakon was this past weekend and Frank Miller was at Comic Con.

Download MP3

Comments

• Rym, you got the news wrong. The news is that Frank Miller will be at New York Comic-Con. Are you even listening?

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Whos-Coming/Guests/Entertainment-Guests/
  • Frank Miller lives at comic con?
  • Sailor Moon English
    Hmm... Seems, Sailor Moon doesn't quite hold up to nostalgia.
  • edited August 2011
    Anime I want to see:
    - Hajime no Ippo Season 3 (starting with Coach Kamogawa's flashback arc)
    - Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service
    - Durarara Season 2
    - Genshiken Season 3
    - Adolf
    - Eagle
    - a distilled version of One Piece (like Dragonball Kai)
    - and Yotsuba&!

I'd also really like to see an anime about hockey which is really well made. There is no such sort of IP yet as far as I can tell. Also, I'd really like to see the meta manga from Bakuman, PCP, become an actual manga or show.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I'd also really like to see an anime about hockey which is really well made. There is no such sort of IP yet as far as I can tell. Also, I'd really like to see the meta manga from Bakuman, PCP, become an actual manga or show.
    There are quite a few hockey manga.
  • There are quite a few hockey manga.
    Are any of them good, though?
  • edited August 2011
    There are quite a few hockey manga.
    There are, and I've read a few, but I don't think a sport like hockey really works as a manga, due to the speed of the game. It would work much better as a property that starts right off as an anime because motion is a very important aspect of the game which simply doesn't translate to page form very well. Other sports like baseball and football work quite well in manga, because the play is chopped down into smaller bits, like a pitch in baseball or a single play in football. Hockey not so much.
  • There are quite a few hockey manga.
    I couldn't tell you because they are in Japanese and I haven't read them.
  • I couldn't tell you because they are in Japanese and I haven't read them.
    I might look for some scans tonight and report back with links and impressions, but then again, I'm less of a hockey fan than you are, so your mileage may vary.
  • edited August 2011
    I've read two, and neither have been very impressive. There is one manga called Go Ahead! by Daisuke Higuchi who also did the soccer manga Whistle! It wasn't very good art and the story was somewhat lacking about a boy who is a fan of the game getting taken under the wing of a guy who returned to japan after playing junior leagues in Canada and left for some personal reasons.

The other is by Koji Kumeta who now does Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's called Go!! Southern Ice Hockey Club and I actually translated a couple of chapters when I was still an active member of Suimasen Scans, because they do pretty much everything of Kumeta. Plus nobody else had translated anything of the series. Main character is a japanese boy who grew up in Canada and returns to play for a school in Kyushu after he got booted from his league in Canada because he's a cheater.

It's only really nominally about ice hockey, and rather quickly becomes nothing more than a vehicle for juvenile dick jokes and the likes, and doesn't even mention hockey anymore in the later chapters. It was definitely an early work and Kumeta becomes a much better writer and artist later on. It does have some quite nice 80s style character art now and then, but the style transition the art goes through over the course of the series is rather staggering. Here's a comparison between the covers of the first and last volume.

I think there's another manga series about hockey called H2 (though I might be confusing the name with one of Mitsuru Adachi's baseball manga), but I haven't read any of that because I simply couldn't find it on the internet. Not even in japanese. There's also a manga nominally about field hockey called "My Heavenly Hockey Club", but it is basically just an Ouran High School Host Club ripoff about a girl joining a club filled with rich pretty boys.
  • Here's a comparison between the covers of the first and last volume.
    I see no appreciable difference, in both it looks like he's trying to get someone to check out his stick.
    There's also a manga nominally about field hockey manga called "My Heavenly Hockey Club", but it is basically just an Ouran High School Host Club ripoff about a girl joining a club filled with pretty boys.
    I'm tempted to check that out by sheer morbid curiosity, if nothing else.
  • - and Yotsuba&!
    This would pretty much be only anime I would actively get on a weekly basis to watch. The last anime that I did that for was Samurai Champloo.
  • I'm going to be brave and do some Full Metal Panic!? FUMOFFU defending. It is probably one of the best slapstick anime that I've seen for two reasons. The first is that it takes characters you liked from FMP and saw in some dark and intense situations and places them in a slapstick anime. Nothing really effects the main FMP story going forward, we just get the characters we liked exaggerated to a ridiculous level. The second reason is that it takes the one note joke from Full Metal Panic! and stretches it to an absurdist level. Segara has some kind of social retardation in FUMOFFU and it doesn't get any better when that is combined with his access to a seemingly unlimited supply of weapons. Of course, the greatest juxtaposition in any anime comedy is when Sagara turns the cute Bonta-Kun mascot costume into a tiny mech. Gold.

Of course, comedy is the most subjective art and I doubt you guys like anything made by KyoAni (with the exception of Haruhi) so I conceit those points.
  • Me? I'm not going to be as subtle.

You like Gasaraki, which is only remembered because science had decreed it a cure for insomnia, and then with the other hand trash Full Metal Panic Fummofu?

Really?

I was going to recommend and link (via hulu) Tiger and Bunny which is made by the Big O guys but you know what? Sod it, you can goggle for it yourselves.
  • Me? I'm not going to be as subtle.

You like Gasaraki, which is only remembered because science had decreed it a cure for insomnia, and then with the other hand trash Full Metal Panic Fummofu?

Really?

I was going to recommend and link (via hulu) Tiger and Bunny which is made by the Big O guys but you know what? Sod it, you can goggle for it yourselves.
    I also kinda like Gasaraki! Granted, I haven't seen it in years...

What I've seen of Tiger and Bunny is pretty great.
  • From Full Metal Panics I like the Second Raid most. It's kind of the total opposite of Fummofu, it has minimum amount of school comedy bits and ramps the serious mecha scifi action up a lot. I rewatched it recently to see if I still like it and yes I did. Maybe I should be fair and do same for fummofu, I liked it least of all Full Metal Panic seasons, but I still remember liking it.
  • edited August 2011
    I liked Full Metal Panic when I was a teen only because it combined the crazy mech guy (who reminded us of Heero from Gundam W) fighting scenes and also put him in funny high school. However, because it lacked the darker bits, I got bored with Fumoffu. It had nothing serious to compare the light hearted shenanigans to.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Lupin III: Green vs. Red was awesome. I have no idea why people would dislike that. Great Lupin action, great inside-jokes about the show, a totally ridiculous and trippy plot...I loved it.
  • You talked about comedy for a bit. Have you watched Nichijou? To describe it, I would say it's somewhat like Seinfeld. Everyday events are exaggerated to a ridiculous extent.
  • You talked about comedy for a bit. Have you watched Nichijou? To describe it, I would say it's somewhat like Seinfeld. Everyday events are exaggerated to a ridiculous extent.
    Seinfeld with robots. And talking cats.
  • Well there's only one robot and talking cat. Nichijou is conservative.

If superman was animated, it probably have a robot in it.
  • I'm so enjoying Tiger and Bunny! Oh man, it's like everything you want guys, but I'm not giving the link because fuck Gasaraki.
  • edited August 2011
    Tiger & Bunny is really good. I recommend it as an intro to anime for superhero fans. You can fuck Gasaraki all you want (I don't know why), but T&B is on Hulu! You think this is 1983?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • Getting ready to watch Lupin the III vs Detective Conan. ^_^ So awesome!
  • I'm so enjoying Tiger and Bunny! Oh man, it's like everything you want guys, but I'm not giving the link because fuck Gasaraki.
    I just want to spite you for continuing to be a passive-agressive dick about cartoons of all things, at this point. :V
  • This reminded me of "what pen and paper RPG do you want to see." Scott reminded me of the "Space Train" RPG, where you have a sort of episodic campaign on rails. I also have long-wanted a mecha-based RPG that my group actually enjoys. All experiments so-far have been failures, either for lack of interest or overwhelming rules density.
  • You guys expressed interest in an El-Hazard-like original fantasy world with a plot and constant low-level comedy. You might want to check out Ruin Explorers if you haven't seen it already. It's this super old OAV, and it's been like a million years since I've seen it so I can't completely vouch for the quality, but as I recall it's kind of a wacky-episode-of-Slayers level of silliness without so much of the battles. The main characters are this sword-fighting girl who turns into a mouse when she uses magic for some reason, her partner the elf shaman and they hunt for treasure in ruins. There's also a long lost prince and this shady merchant dude who hangs out with basically the dog from Wacky Races.
  • Ruin Explorers
    Seen it. A straight B to B- anime. Decidedly average. Not bad, mind you, not at all.

I don't think Scott has seen any of it.
  • Started reading Vinland Saga once again, and that is another property that is dearly missing an anime adaptation. The authors previous series, Planetes, did get one, and the series is still running so there is a small spark of hope, but the series has also been running for quite a while now and it's rather unlikely it will ever be animated.