This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110817 - Arrietty the Borrower

edited August 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider Studio Ghibli's Arrietty the Borrower (借りぐらしのアリエッティ). In the news, Redline is now available on Booray with English subtitles in Japan, and Black Dynamite has a cartoon.

Download MP3

Comments

• Hmm... Redline sounds like my kind of movie...
  • My goodness, have I been looking for Arrietty for SUCH a long time... I've heard such fantastic things.. it has been only recently that I've been able to procure it on the internets.
  • Rym: Yes, it is that good.
    Scott: ...I'm not even going to bother.
  • When Scott was going on about how Valve "releases their games for the whole world at the same time with great fanafare at the same price" I was expecting to Rym chime in and say "6 months after they said they would release it".
  • When Scott was going on about how Valve "releases their games for the whole world at the same time with great fanafare at the same price" I was expecting to Rym chime in and say "6 months after they said they would release it".
    Look at the game companies in the world that almost always make hits. Valve, Blizzard, Nintendo. What do they have in common? They take their sweet ass time. Granted, taking your time can sometimes go to the extreme, like Duke Nukem Forever. But if you take your time with discipline you will always have the most polished product with the best chance for success. Those three companies rarely have showstopping bugs in their games, and everything about them is polished to the extreme. That's also why they don't even announce release dates at all until they know the game is ready.
  • edited August 2011
    I wasn't meaning to knock Valve at all with this, Scott. I simply remarked on a joke that I expected to be made. Though of course, delaying releases could also be a form of botching releases. Of course, having a better game on a later date is preferable to having a worse game on an earlier date.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Rym's Thing - 25 Greatest Unscripted Scenes
    The Han Solo "I know" line is my favorite. Such a pimp move.
  • Booray is a horrible video form. It only plays when your back is turned to it. :)

I don't care if Scott doesn't like Archer, but to say there were no laughs to be had in the show is hard to swallow. I think Scott's hyperbole buff hadn't worn off yet.
  • I don't care if Scott doesn't like Archer, but to say there were no laughs to be had in the show is hard to swallow. I think Scott's hyperbole buff hadn't worn off yet.
    There's just this certain type of humor I don't enjoy that a lot of the Adult Swim shows have. That Sea Lab one was the worst.
  • Heh, Scott doesn't like Archer, I'm not surprised. But he did have some sort of weird relationship with a spygirl once..... So I figured he might be able to relate.
  • edited August 2011
    Good for Archer, then, because it's not an Adult Swim show. ;)

I don't see Archer as an Adult Swim style comedy. I think it's much more restrained than those shows like Frisky Dingo or the live action shows. It's telling jokes, not just getting crazier and crazier with bizarre occurrences. So is it the comedy, or the flash style animation?

Speaking of Frisky Dingo, I almost felt like i had woken up in an alternate Earth, because Frisky Dingo is not listed in Jon Benjamin's roles ANYWHERE. Anyone ever come across a little oddity like that?

So, while I'm here, do you like Bob's Burgers, Scott? Has Geek Nights ever done a how on sitcoms?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • So, while I'm here, do you like Bob's Burgers, Scott? Has Geek Nights ever done a how on sitcoms?
    I never heard of Bob's Burgers.
  • So, while I'm here, do you like Bob's Burgers, Scott? Has Geek Nights ever done a how on sitcoms?
    I never heard of Bob's Burgers.
    Its a new show Fox and its pretty... strange.
  • Okay.

For me, it's filling that long vacant hole where The Simpsons once resided.
  • huh, I like Kristen Schaal... Will have to check this out.
  • Rym, if these compilation videos are your speed, then you will love this one:

• Rym, if these compilation videos are your speed, then you will love this one:

That's a favorite. I love Nicolas Cage, both before and after he turned into Nicolas Cage.
  • I hate anyone who says Nick Cage can't act.

I can't wait until Nicholas Cage Pees Fire comes out.

I can't wait until Nicholas Cage Pisses Blood comes out.

I can't wait until Nicholas Cage Screams At Someone for Three Hours comes out.
  • edited August 2011

Smart alecks. :)
    Post edited by VichusSmith on

I can't wait until Nicholas Cage The Movie comes out.