This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110926 - Link Rot

edited September 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about the problem of link rot. But first, we talk at length about MySQL in light of the nerd rage at its closed extensions (Apple no longer includes it by default). Also, scarily, kernel.org is STILL DOWN despite being hacked almost a month ago.

Download MP3

Comments

• edited September 2011
    On Scott's Thing:

The radius of Jupiter is 71,492 km, and the distance from the earth to the moon averages at 384,403 km, so Jupiter could fit in the space between the earth and the moon about two and a half times. The sun, with a radius of 695,500 km, would engulf the earth when placed at the moon's location (i.e. center of sun placed at the center of the moon.)
    Post edited by Frank on
  • The radius of Jupiter is 71,492 km, and the distance from the earth to the moon averages at 384,403 km, so Jupiter could fit in the space between the earth and the moon about two and a half times. The sun, with a radius of 695,500 km, would engulf the earth when placed at the moon's location (i.e. center of sun placed at the center of the moon.)
    So Jupiter isn't bigger than I thought, the moon is further than I thought.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2011
    It appears that the MySQL site was hacked post-announcement and is serving up malware.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have a problem with links to slashdot and reddit instead of the original source, but not only because of credit or link rot issues. For some reason I often find it surprisingly non-trivial to find the link to the original news story or content on the slashdot or reddit page. Is this just me? I click on things that I think are links to the original content and I'm taken back to the same page, or more discussion, or just in loops. It's super annoying!
  • The radius of Jupiter is 71,492 km, and the distance from the earth to the moon averages at 384,403 km, so Jupiter could fit in the space between the earth and the moon about two and a half times. The sun, with a radius of 695,500 km, would engulf the earth when placed at the moon's location (i.e. center of sun placed at the center of the moon.)
    So Jupiter isn't bigger than I thought, the moon is further than I thought.
    I remember being surprised when I saw this pic, like most people I didn't realize how far away it is.
  • I have a problem with links to slashdot and reddit instead of the original source, but not only because of credit or link rot issues. For some reason I often find it surprisingly non-trivial to find the link to the original news story or content on the slashdot or reddit page. Is this just me? I click on things that I think are links to the original content and I'm taken back to the same page, or more discussion, or just in loops. It's super annoying!
    Normally you can click the title at the top, and unless it's a self-post(In other words, it's text that links to itself, rather than a link to something outside reddit), it should take you right to the content in question.
  • Canned pumpkin has a million uses. There is one cookbook that I read where the woman who wrote it is absolutely nuts about canned pumpkin and puts it in everything:
    Pumpkin for Lunch or Dinner? YUP!

This squash shouldn't be restricted to b-fast and dessert, people...

Surprise, It's Pumpkin! Enchiladas - This recipe's the result of a kitchen accident. (No one was injured.) We love it so much, we had to tell everyone!

Totally PUMPin' Fettuccine - Make your Girlfredo-style pasta dish even richer and more delicious with canned pumpkin. Do it!

Pumpkinlicious Veggie Soup - This soup's so easy to make (and so crazy-low in calories) that it's hard to find a reason NOT to make it!

Chunky Veggie Pumpkin Chili - Got HG 1-2-3? Lucky you! Grab it and make this hearty-yet-mellow crock-pot chili.
  • Pumpkin pie is the best pie and pumpkins can be used for many different awesome foods.
  • It maybe strange but my family has always used Butternut Squash rather than pumpkins for the "pumpkin" pie. I always liked it more but that is just my bias from growing up with it.
  • It maybe strange but my family has always used Butternut Squash rather than pumpkins for the "pumpkin" pie. I always liked it more but that is just my bias from growing up with it.
    Most people do, or consume pies that do. Actual "pumpkin" pie isn't super common.

It's much, much better to use a real pumpkin in my opinion.
  • I have never had pumpkin pie, but I had pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin porridge as a child (my grandma would make those with pumpkins she was growing, so there's not even the "store bought crap" excuse here). I can honestly say I prefer the non-pumpkin varieties of both.
  • Get off the internet and go eat a pumpkin pie.
    And eat some cider donuts too. An alarming number of people I know have never experienced the cider donut.
    And eat some cider donuts too. An alarming number of people I know have never experienced the cider donut.
    There's a distinct lack of cider with which to donut in Florida.
    Oh good lord. This comment is directed at all of you NYC people on the forum. When you are cruising down the Garden State Parkway on the way to your fist-pumping Jersey shore weekend, you absolutely must take a 5 minute detour and eat donuts and drink cider at Delicious Orchards. They didn't name it that because it tastes like shit.
  • When you are cruising down the Garden State Parkway
    Fuck that. Come up to the Capital Region and farther north. We gots mad apples, yo.
  • When you are cruising down the Garden State Parkway
    Fuck that. Come up to the Capital Region and farther north. We gots mad apples, yo.
    This is further north of the capital. There aren't many gardens left, but the garden state is still NJ.

• Thanks to me asking I managed to save this film from link rot, already downloaded it and thinking of adding it somewhere else to maintain its availability.
  • Coldguy said:

Thanks to me asking I managed to save this film from link rot, already downloaded it and thinking of adding it somewhere else to maintain its availability.

If it's public domain or creative commons, archive.org would be the best place for long term preservation.