This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111020 - Making Sushi Special

edited October 2011 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, in a short special (since Rym is preparing to leave for Japan for a couple of weeks), we talk about our adventure making sushi for the first time. We also talk at length about the TSA's expanding reach, the inability of political discussion to go anywhere (in Scott's opinion), and a proposal to let wealthy land-owners bypass our immigration queues.

Download MP3

Comments

• I've steered away from actual rolls and mainly been sticking with nigiri or sashimi. My favorite is salmon and seared salmon that has the spicy mayo on top. My local kaiten sushi place also serves some awesome black-peppered seared tuna nigiri.

I noticed they finally serve toro (fatty tuna), but they ran out. It is my goal to see if toro is as wonderful as various manga claims it to be.
  • I've steered away from actual rolls and mainly been sticking with nigiri or sashimi. My favorite is salmon and seared salmon that has the spicy mayo on top. My local kaiten sushi place also serves some awesome black-peppered seared tuna nigiri.

I noticed they finally serve toro (fatty tuna), but they ran out. It is my goal to see if toro is as wonderful as various manga claims it to be.
    Fatty Tuna is great, but not as good as kobe beef.
  • edited October 2011
    That's apples and oranges.

I have had kobe beef with a berry dressing of some sort and it was divine.
    Rym's Thing - Bike ThiefScott's Thing - NBA Lockout Fundraiser
    Those were wonderful. The ending got me.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • This are the best types of meat acoording to my sushi chef.
    1. Toro
    2. Eel
    3. Plain Tuna

Also, Toro is delicious! :D

I think I am gonna get me some sushi tomorrow for lunch :D
  • Fatty Tuna is great, but not as good as kobe beef.
    That's apples and oranges.

I have had kobe beef with a berry dressing of some sort and it was divine.
    Let me rephrase that: While I greatly enjoy fatty tuna, I much prefer kobe beef as I find it tastier.
  • I think Scott fell victim to the perfect world fallacy.
  • I think Scott fell victim to the perfect world fallacy.
    Scott has always fell victim to the perfect world fallacy.
  • Rym's Thing - Bike Thief
    It's called the bystander effect. Basically, if a person is part of a crowd and something bad is happening (that one person can deal with, like stealing of a bike, for example) they expect someone else will deal with it, and don't do anything.
  • edited October 2011
    Im pretty sure this bike thief video was already used when Scrym's bike was stolem months ago.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I loved Scott's argument for a fascist world government. You guys should really do more political shows.
  • Is this week's podcast a special episode about making sushi, or is it about how to make sushi more special?
  • It's a documentary about the Sushi Special.
  • Fun fact about flight security:
    Already more people died in car-crashes in situations, where they could fly but chose not to, specifically because they were afraid of terrorists, then died in 9/11. So Fear mongering is the real danger.

And:
    10 years without new laws? Coming from a tec-guy? Especially someone who uses to complain, about that the laws we have today aren´t up to date, and that politicians have no idea, how the Internet works, or about technology.
    What if they did that 10 years ago? No new laws since 2001. When people where still predicting, that Music-pirating will be no big deal, and there was no "wikipedia".
  • Napster was over before 9/11 happened.
  • So Fear mongeringdrunk driving and other leading causes of auto accidents are the real danger.
  • edited October 2011
    @CapnAllesBananeTim: You're right. Didn't know that. I started downloading with Kazaar. I just remebered a story about downloading from that time, where the tv-magazine predicted, that that wouldn't matter in the future...

@Andrew: Still. Flying is much safer, than driving. Even without the unreasonable security measures of the TSA.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2011
    That's apples and oranges. I have had kobe beef with a berry dressing of some sort and it was divine.
    Let me rephrase that: While I greatly enjoy fatty tuna, I much prefer kobe beef as I find it tastier.
    Toro is just as incredible as most manga would tell you it is, but I won't order it anymore due to massive bluefin overfishing. Those fish are apex predators that swim at 65MPH, and they're rapidly nearing extinction just to fulfill the desires of people who love food. That isn't too cool. I'll eat toro again when we figure out how to farm or vat grow it.

Kobe beef, on the other hand, is delectable and easily kept in large quantities. Hell, it's a stock animal; the cattle are bred to meet both those criteria. I'll eat Kobe beef or any wagyu (as I understand it, there is a subtle difference) any day of the week.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'll eat Kobe beef or any wagyu (as I understand it, there is a subtle difference) any day of the week. Except for my scheduled day to not eat meat to save the environment.
  • I'll eat Kobe beef or any wagyu (as I understand it, there is a subtle difference) any day of the week. Except for my scheduled day to not eat meat to save the environment.
    Or that, I suppose.
  • Tennessee is actually a surprisingly awesome state to drive across. Start on the east end in Chattanooga where there are some awesome caves and mountains you can explore. You can head east through Knoxville and ooo at the Sunsphere and make Simpsons wigsphere jokes, stop at Pigeon Forge for touristy entertainment (Dollywood is surprisingly fun. Full of really good historical artisan demonstrations and a bald eagle preserve. I spent some time learning glass blowing). Lynchburg has the Jack Daniels distillery (although it is a dry county, wtf), Nashville has country music (eh) but is nice, and Memphis is awesome for more reasons than I can explain, but I will say the Gibson Guitar Factory has a good tour and that Graceland is actually really really interesting, even for me who knows nothing about Elvis. Maybe that's why it was interesting to me, because it's so well preserved and did a great job telling the story of such an iconic guy that I knew nothing about?

For bonus points, detour south as you loop back through the buffalo zoo and banzai tree farm in Tupelo, Mississippi, and stop at the shithole that is Huntsville, Alabama to go to the NASA museum and see the space shuttle. You can also follow a pretty good National Park System native american heritage site trail.
  • I really enjoyed driving through Tennessee the one time we did it as a family, for most of the reasons Matt mentioned. You can also cut through into Kentucky and do the Bourbon Trail, which is what some of my friends and I are planning to do for my 21st birthday.
  • Chattanooga is just fun to say. Chattanooga. Chaaaaa-taaaa-nooooga.
  • Seems people really like driving through Tennessee, but don't much like getting out of the car.
  • edited October 2011
    Seems people really like driving through Tennessee, but don't much like getting out of the car.
    Everything I suggested should involve at minimum a few hours outside of the car. The reason you talked about "driving through Tennessee" is that there is all sorts of awesome stuff all separated by 1.5-3 hour distances. I would never go there to see any one thing, but if you like the idea of the all-American road trip, you'll have 100x more fun going straight across Tennessee than you would Kentucky to its north, or Mississippi/Alabama to its south. Edit: if you go on a road trip and don't get out of the car, you're doing it wrong.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I spent a significant portion of my youth growing up in North Carolina, and my family vacationed in Tennessee several times. There are some really great places to visit, particularly the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

I think its a mistake to write off an entire state that you've never had an opportunity to visit or bothered to read up on.