This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2012: When the Game Plays the Player

edited September 2012 in GeekNights

PAX Prime 2012: When the Game Plays the Player

At PAX Prime 2012, we presented three mini lectures as part of Short Subjects in Gaming on Friday in the Wolfman Theater. This is the first of them

"When the Game Plays the Player" explores rhythm games, such as Dance Dance Revolution, both from a historical and game design perspective. Dive deep into the sometimes surprising mechanics of these games, a genre often ignored by theorists, and see how their concepts can be applied in places you would never imagine.

For more GeekNights lectures, see our Convention Lecture Youtube Playlist!

Source Link

Comments

• Here is a Pop n Music review from someone who made an ASC for the game.
  • I miss DDR...
  • edited September 2012
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • This inspired me to hook my xbox up and play DDR for the first time in like, 2 years. I'm happy to say I didn't ever have to think about the notes, my feet just did em, but I got way too many missteps and my feet kind hurt after only a few songs. But I'm definitely going to be playing every day again because it's oodles of fun. (I only stopped because the Xbox got put in storage and I got a new gaming PC at the same time.)
  • I'm getting old though, for sure. I worry that, within a few years, I will be physically incapable of passing MAX300, let alone the later MAXes.
  • Eh, it will be more that you can do one or two, not 10 in a row.
  • No... It's that I'm finding I know what to step, but physically can't move my legs fast enough anymore. The oldening.

You try MAX300 on Maniac. ;^)
  • IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOUUUUUUUUU.......
  • Despite playing DDR for years and years in high school, I stopped short of passing MAX300 on maniac. I couldn't even do it using a Playstation controller. No other song in DDR (at least up to MAX) gave me that problem.
  • You are probably pretty out of practice at this point Rym...
    Nah, I play pretty regularly. I've also doubled down on exercise. Biking to work every day, running almost every day, weightlifting at least three times a week, pushups and bicycle curls every morning... ;^)

Nope. One foot in the grave. Give up, Rym. It's Carousel time.

• It's Carousel time.
  • edited October 2012
    You are probably pretty out of practice at this point Rym...
    Nah, I play pretty regularly. I've also doubled down on exercise. Biking to work every day, running almost every day, weightlifting at least three times a week, pushups and bicycle curls every morning... ;^)

Err, I would note that I've never been able to do that level of DDR and I am at or near my peak fitness achieved at this point. What do you define pretty regularly? because you used to do it a lot. I'm sure it can't be more then weekly these days.

Post edited by Cremlian on
  • My grandfather still plays the original zelda on a regular basis, but he can no-longer react fast enough to make it through the game. It is a sad thing.
  • My grandfather still plays the original zelda on a regular basis, but he can no-longer react fast enough to make it through the game. It is a sad thing.
    How old? Oh god, the horror... at least I'll have turned based strategy games... I almost think to myself "Play all the shooters and reaction games now, and spend my twilight years playing the slow games.
  • edited October 2012
    69 now.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on