This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Internet Relay Chat

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss IRC (Internet Relay Chat), from a historical, functional, and cultural perspective (which we've lectured on before). We also consider the uproar around advertisements in Ubuntu (and its ramifications for the state of Desktop Linux, nevermind the idea that the worst computer users need the best hardware) and Twitter takes a nice tack on copyright takedowns. Rym acquired some delicious Applejack, Gchat never truly replaced AIM/ICQ, and a fox with bombs reminds us to celebrate Guy Fawkes day.

Most importantly, Ponies are coming.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• By the way, that applejack I purchased? Utterly delicious. It may be what I bring to MAGfest if I don't acquire anything else special.
  • By the way, that applejack I purchased? Utterly delicious. It may be what I bring to MAGfest if I don't acquire anything else special.
    Can you get that stuff anywhere other than the distillery?
  • There was a thing in this episode that I was going to disagree with. I can't remember what it was.
    I don't recall if they ship outside of New York (I don't think they do). I could always bring a bottle when I come to AB. ;^)
    I don't recall if they ship outside of New York (I don't think they do). I could always bring a bottle when I come to AB. ;^)
    Cool. Never had applejack before, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. :)
  • I've only had applejack once, but I remember liking it quite a bit. And that was just the regular applejack you find at most cocktail bars.
  • The "core vodka" is quite tasty as well. I'm really done with "neutral" vodkas. If it truly doesn't taste like anything at all, why not just go all the way to Everclear?
  • The "core vodka" is quite tasty as well. I'm really done with "neutral" vodkas. If it truly doesn't taste like anything at all, why not just go all the way to Everclear?
    I can agree with this, though I'm getting kind of tired of all the sweet vodkas out there (whipped cream, cake, etc.). Best thing: infuse your own vodka. So far Katie and I have tried fresh cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans, let those sit in the vodka for a couple weeks. It was delicious.
  • edited November 2012
    The "core vodka" is quite tasty as well. I'm really done with "neutral" vodkas. If it truly doesn't taste like anything at all, why not just go all the way to Everclear?
    Everclear is illegal in some states, like MA (though you can get it easily enough in RI). However, I mostly agree with your sentiment -- if you want no-flavor alcohol, you may as well use Everclear or water-cut Everclear (to bring the proof down).
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Many thanks for putting up the sweet tune at the end of the show. Been dying to hear that with my own ears!
  • Many thanks for putting up the sweet tune at the end of the show. Been dying to hear that with my own ears!
    It was partly a test to see who listens to the stinger, and how much that overlaps with the forum. ;^)
  • edited November 2012
    According to Ron Swanson, real men don't drink clear alcohols.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Is the stinger where the simultaneously meme comes from?
  • I think the stinger refers to the wrap up at the end. It's what's after the stinger in this one that gets me...
  • What is the name of the song played at the end of the show?
  • So we finally know where simultaneously comes from.

Sort of.
  • edited November 2012
    Is the stinger where the simultaneously meme comes from?
    I imagine, although I had no clue as to what I was actually listening to.
    There was a thing in this episode that I was going to disagree with. I can't remember what it was.
    I think this happens to me at least once per episode, although not always pure disagreement. Often a briefly mentioned thing I want to further discuss, then forget.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • That exists in its entirety on maybe three hard drives in the world.

I actually have a number of things like that lying around.
  • what was that song at the end of the show - sounds like its some sort of Rym mashup - any way of getting hold of this Rym? or can you point us to the main tune, thanks
  • I think I may have developed a Pavlovian response to the word "simultaneously" after listening to Geeknights for 6-7 years. Fuck you, Rym.

Also, some really techie workplaces have set up IRC servers for everyone to chat on, though it's a bit of a hassle. Once everyone's lurking on the channel though, it's very convenient, especially if you have people working from home. Most places I've worked at just use gchat (and possibly hangouts / skype for teleconferencing).
  • what was that song at the end of the show - sounds like its some sort of Rym mashup - any way of getting hold of this Rym? or can you point us to the main tune, thanks
    Kenjura can tell you more. It's a relic of inside jokes from more than a decade ago. ;^)