This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Area 88: The Blue Skies of Betrayal

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the 1985 OAV: Area 88: The Blue Skies of Betrayal (directed by the late Hisayuki Toriumi, also known for Lily C.A.T.). In the news, Rym lost his banana, the awful Tenchi Muyo GXP is airing late at night when nobody will (thankfully) ever see it, and the original Tenchi Muyo movie Tenchi Muyo in Love is actually worth watching.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Man, Lily CAT really was awful. That SciFi Channel Saturday morning anime block had some serious stinkers in it.

Sym-Biotic Titan is worth watching, although considerably less so at 2am. The rest of that Cartoon Network lineup (except CB) is somewhere between actively terrible and crap I barely cared about nearly a decade ago.
  • I watched Lily C.A.T. on SciFi. In retrospect, I remember that Harmageddon was way better... That's saying a lot.
  • I don't know if I've ever watched anyone younger than high school play football before. The big helmets and small bodies weirds me out.
  • They sped up the video.
  • They sped up the video.
    I saw several comments on it. It is unfortunate if the recording has been altered to make her appear faster overall, however I don't think it diminishes the fact she's a good athlete. She easily out maneuvers and out runs her opponents repeatedly in that video. Also her tackles were pretty impressive.
  • The video is not sped up to make her appear faster. It is mercifully sped up so that the video isn't an hour long!
  • Threw my arms in the air when Rym said "Thunder Cats is SHIT!" Could not have agreed more. Such sadly squandered potential.
  • The video is not sped up to make her appear faster. It is mercifully sped up so that the video isn't an hour long!
    If I have kids my plan is to get belligerently drunk before every game so I can tolerate how bad it is.
  • Rym lost his banana
    It was obviously Mr. Bananagrabber.
  • As far as ratio of theme music to quality of show goes, my go-to example has always been the ending theme of Himikoden. The song "Pure Snow" -- really lovely pop ballad that sounds like it's sung with more genuine emotion than most similar songs. Himikoden -- GARBAGE IN THE HIGHEST DEGREE.
  • This topic reminds me a lot of the Oh My Goddess! OVAs, Gunsmith Cats, and Vampire Hunter: The Animated Series. They tried their best to show off the mangas/games without trying to compress everything.
  • edited November 2012
    Hahaha, that's what I get for submitting a comment on my phone and not taking the time to find a video link. The full version of the song is even nicer, IMO. The shortened version has some edit points that, while they don't ruin the song, make the flow a little more clunky, I think.

And while I'm here linking videos anyway, here is my other favourite good song/bad anime pairing:

I really, really wish this had been some kind of opener with a ton of effort thrown behind it. This is the kind of song that's designed to pump you up for what you're about to watch! Not wind you down from the shitty-ass moe show you just sat through. :P

EDIT: Oo, Venus Versus Virus isn't absolutely terrible, but going through my songs, I forgot how much I liked its opening. It definitely far outstrips the actual show on the quality scale either way.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • No Banana's Ambition... That is all.
  • New Thundercats is awesome. Cartoon Network itself didn't agree with me, because it's on "hiatus" but it is awesome.

I have not watched Photon. I had to look it up to see what it's about. What I do have knowledge of is Tenchi Muyo GXP, and it is worse. Why? For one, it's bad, an second, it dares to slap the name of Tenchi on the show, when it has almost nothing to do with Tenchi Muyo.

Also, Symbionic Titan is the tits. Or the dicks. Whatever you prefer.
  • I found Thundercats to be tiresome and poorly done. The only good parts about it was the animation and art direction: the stories and dialogue were awful.