This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Network Sniffing and Programmers

edited December 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about network sniffing and programming. But first, rural landlines are dropping calls, but not for the reasons you might expect. iTunes 11 came out, to the usual fanfare and undeserved anger. CDs are old. MagFest is coming (we'll be there presenting)! Our CS:GO server is live. Enforce.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Music Land is one of my favourite pieces of animation and a huge part of my childhood. It's simply a join to watch. Good thing.
  • For some reason the copy downloaded in my iTunes library shows a 4 hour and 24 minute run time.
  • So is getting a job in the financial sector as easy as Rym says it is if you just know the FIX protocol?
  • I expected this episode to be interesting, but it was boring and I didn't finish it.
  • I enjoy learning about things like this put me down in the "Rym" side of the Monday argument.
  • I was quite relieved that I knew enough about networking to at least pass Rym's cursory approval test. I even remembered (though it's been a while since I used it) that source and destination ports were encoded in the IP packet headers. Of course, I may be a borderline version of one of those "old timers" Rym mentioned due to when I was in school and when I took my networking class. I'm certainly not a Unix Santa, but I sometimes feel like I'm borderline.
  • edited December 2012
    I really enjoyed this episode. It felt like the no-holds-bared tech talk episode you did once, but at a level I could actually understand what you were talking about.

And then, at the very end, it turned into that same kind of thing with the mysterious unix command that you didn't share. Why didn't you just talk about it on the podcast? Now I really want to know what it is!

Not that I'll ever need it for anything, ever.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Right click, Get Info, Options, Media Kind, Podcast.

Easy. Still there in iTunes 11 too.
  • The episodes about tech and about Scrym's jobs are my favorite kind, I get excited about learning new stuff and I actually look up the things I don't know enough about.
  • Or if you have a Zune you just edit the ID3 tag to label it as a podcast and Zune software picks it up.
  • Or if you have a Zune you just edit the ID3 tag to label it as a podcast and Zune software picks it up.
    Do you know exactly which ID3 tag this is and exactly what the value should be? If not, can you make a file that already has this tag set and put it somewhere I can download it?
  • What I use for my custom MP3 tags.
    That's not helping. Is it the TMED tag?
  • Follow your own advice Scott and just Google it.
    Not easily Google'd.
  • Music Land is one of my favourite pieces of animation and a huge part of my childhood. It's simply a join to watch. Good thing.
    Everything you said matches me exactly. Huge part of my childhood and an honestly amazing animated short subject.

Do you know exactly which ID3 tag this is and exactly what the value should be? If not, can you make a file that already has this tag set and put it somewhere I can download it?
    I usually just edit the tag with foobar2000 or Windows Explorer to say "podcast." I believe it's ID3v2 but I could be mistaken. However, if I download a file from a website directly that is tagged as a podcast going in, like those from Live Audio Wrestling, it shows up in Zune as a podcast.
    Not easily Google'd.
    Then follow your own advice and ask it in the most appropriate place, rather than in the FRC forum ^_~

I don't think there's a proper standard, but a quick, small sample size Google search says that the appropriate thing to do is set the "Genre" tag to "Podcast".
  • I'm feeling lazy so. Anyone on here have a good Linux script I can run every hour that checks my login failure logs for repeat attempts from the same IP and then blocks that IP in my firewall tables?
  • I'm feeling lazy so. Anyone on here have a good Linux script I can run every hour that checks my login failure logs for repeat attempts from the same IP and then blocks that IP in my firewall tables?
    Wrong question. The right answer is fail2ban.
  • $ ssh me@myserver.com
    $ tail /var/log/auth.log -n 100

I mean, intellectually I knew, but I didn't grok in full.