This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 1 - CANABALT

edited March 2013 in GeekNights
The moment you have all been waiting for.

GAME 1 - CANABALT

Starting really simple with this one guys. Longest run this week wins. If there is somehow a tie between two or more players, the tie breaker will go to whoever submitted their score earliest.

You can play any version of the game you like whether it is the free web Flash version, iOS, or Android. Yes, there are slight differences, but they are slight enough to not matter. The skill being tested here is not just reflexes, but determination. Anyone who plays it enough will get a high score eventually. How determined are you to win this grand prix? How many times will you play this game this week in order to get the highest score possible? We're about to find out.

Here are the specific instructions you must read and obey exactly. Failure to obey them exactly will almost certainly result in you getting a score of zero for this round, or worse.

Every player must submit their score along with some evidence that it is legit. There are many ways of doing this. The easiest is a simple screenshot of your score. The fanciest would be to upload a video of yourself playing the game with your forum name on a piece of paper in the shot, and to load up time.gov in your browser in the video to prove the time and date. One really good way to prove your score is to play the iOS version (again, not required) and to friend me on Game Center. Then I will be able to see your verified high score. Another decent option is to play on Kongregate and record your high score on their charts under your forum name. Provide the best evidence you can. More is always better. I don't think anyone will cheat, there would be no honor in that.

Submit your evidence via e-mail to grandprix@frontrowcrew.com on or before March 8th New York time. Once it becomes March 9th, any further submissions for round 1 will be deleted. You may submit multiple times. Only your final submission will be considered. All others will be deleted.

There will be a process for dealing with suspect evidence, but I hope we do not have to use it. It will involve me being the sole arbiter and perhaps also the judgement of the community. Just don't cheat, it will be easier that way.

Protip - try not to let other people know what your score is. If they are way ahead of everyone else, they may stop trying to improve their score. If they are below, they now have a target to aim for. If everyone remains in the dark as to everyone else's scores, they will have to spend the entire week aiming for infinity.

That being said, I've been playing for a few days in preparation. My current high score is 6652 meters.

It's also not too late to sign up for the grand prix. If you want to participate, just make sure you register in the official thread before you submit your score. Any submissions for unregistered players will be deleted.

Good luck.

Source Link
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• 18,393 meters. Good luck, y'all.
    Dat gauntlet throw.
  • edited March 2013
    I guess I'll go the Kongregate route.

I think it's important to re-emphasize that the score is supposed to be from this week, so the evidence should also be taken with this in mind - a high score in high score charts is pretty decent evidence, but high score charts don't typically provide a timestamp to you directly.

That said, the "this week" column on Kongregate is fairly likely to closely represent the actual time period of the contest, but it has the obvious downside that the participants' scores are quite likely to show up there in plain sight, which clashes with Scott's "protip".
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I can already tell the buildings with the glass is whats going to make or break me in this.
  • edited March 2013
    I can already tell the part where you jump is what's going to make or break me in this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2013
    Leaderboards on Kongregate, no can see dem.

EDIT: I went temporarily blind. I found it.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I can already tell the buildings with the glass is whats going to make or break me in this.
    Yeah, the office buildings are murder. I've lost more than one decent run to an office with its window far below the height of the building I was on. And don't ask how many narrow buildings I've cleared the same way, falling to my doom without getting the chance to land.

Current high score is 6,030. Got a lot of work to do to catch up to Dromaro's evidence-free score.
  • Evidence, you insist? Leaderboard on Kongregate, you check.
  • edited March 2013
    Evidence, you insist? Leaderboard on Kongregate, you check.
    HAHA no spoilarz here......

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Yes. And the first number was what we in the industry call "Pre-hoc shit talk".

Thanks for spoiling it.
  • I am officially terrible at this game.
  • I am officially terrible at this game.
    Not my best game ether, I just try my best and hope to get in the top ten so I can get some points out of this round, for victory in this round is unlickely.

• Current high score is 6532. The trickiest part is definitely jumping through the glass windows.
  • Evidence, you insist? Leaderboard on Kongregate, you check.
    HAHA no spoilarz here......
    I'm guessing... 8928m, Ren.
  • Since it's one of those games that you will keep playing over and over to get the best score possible, recording yourself playing is not ideal.

Also, if played on Linux, this game is heavier than emulating Twilight Princess.
  • If you are like me and buy every Humble Bundle and then immediately ignore every game you just bought Good News! You already own Canabalt for Android!
  • edited March 2013
    Since it's one of those games that you will keep playing over and over to get the best score possible, recording yourself playing is not ideal.

Also, if played on Linux, this game is heavier than emulating Twilight Princess.
    Are you perhaps using one of those open source Flashes instead of the real Adobe one?

If your computer is powerful enough to emulate Twilight Princess, maybe it would work better with the real Flash in wine or a Windows VM in VirtualBox? It really makes no sense that you have a hard time playing a game where all you do is run sideways. This is Mario 1 territory.

As for recording yourself, just keep the camera on all the time. When you run out of battery or storage space, cut out the video of the highest score you got and delete the rest. Then swap the batteries, or have the camera plugged in all the time. Repeat.
  • I feel pretty good about this one. Never played much Canabalt beyond "oh that's cute" for 5 min, but if you're going to rock the repetitive high score challenge, might as well do it to Danny Baranowsky music
  • I feel pretty good about this one. Never played much Canabalt beyond "oh that's cute" for 5 min, but if you're going to rock the repetitive high score challenge, might as well do it to Danny Baranowsky music
    It's a similar skill set to Super Hexagon. You should be OK.
  • I'll admit that I HATE games like this.

Super Hexagon gives me a little more control, and I feel a much greater sense of flow. One-button platformers and games like that tomb runner thing just feel like a pointless grind to nowhere.

I'll compete, but I'm hating every second of it. ;^)
  • edited March 2013
    I'll admit that I HATE games like this.

Super Hexagon gives me a little more control, and I feel a much greater sense of flow. One-button platformers and games like that tomb runner thing just feel like a pointless grind to nowhere.

I'll compete, but I'm hating every second of it. ;^)
    Hopefully everyone will have at least one round they hate. If someone scores points in two rounds in a row, it's going to get very boring, very fast. The game for the next round is in a totally different universe.
  • edited March 2013
    I kinda want to call shenanigans on this because of the combination of procedural generation and no error margin; so far in my plays have been limited not by my jumping ability but simply how long it takes before a satellite lands directly on top of me. The game is less "jump the buildings" and more "hope the angry fist of god doesn't snuff out my existence." My long runs of 5k-ish have been almost completely defined by long roofs and lack of satellites rather than any particular action on my part.

I'm not saying there is no skill involved, because I am slowly improving my run lengths, but it feels like the most important hueristic is "Remember to pray to Space God not to drop shit on you."
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited March 2013
    I kinda want to call shenanigans on this because of the combination of procedural generation and no error margin; so far in my plays have been limited not by my jumping ability but simply how long it takes before a satellite lands directly on top of me. The game is less "jump the buildings" and more "hope the angry fist of god doesn't snuff out my existence." My long runs of 5k-ish have been almost completely defined by long roofs and lack of satellites rather than any particular action on my part.

I'm not saying there is no skill involved, because I am slowly improving my run lengths, but it feels like the most important hueristic is "Remember to pray to Space God not to drop shit on you."
    Point the first, I said that this is mostly a test of determination. If you seriously want to win, just keep playing a lot. Eventually you will get an awesome run due to a procedural generated easy board.

Point the second, there is a way to tell when a satellite is coming one building in advance.

Every round will test something completely different. I chose determination for the first round to figure out who is really serious about this, and who is just signing up because whatever.
  • Then isn't the skill being tested here "How much free time to you have to play this game?" rather than "How skilled are you at pressing X?"
  • I will just say that windows are bullshit.
  • I will just say that windows are bullshit.
    Little known fact: These were Steve Jobs final words.

• Yeah, there were several occasions on the iOS/iPad I couldn't even clear the first jump.

I did better on the computer.

This reminds me a lot of Super Hexagon. Just going to keep trying throughout the waiting lines at ECCC tomorrow.

And yes, windows are fucking bullshit.
  • Actually I can't fucking believe the fucker who made this fuck didn't realize how fucking bullshit the fucking windows are.
  • This game is awful/great. I love/hate it and will/won't play because of how awful/great it is.

That said...
    http://gifs.gifbin.com/272909002.gif