This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon - UPDATED

edited March 2013 in GeekNights
UPDATE - Here are the new rules. So this thread makes sense, the old rules are kept below.

Grand Prix Round 2 - Backgammon (Take 2)

If you read the forum thread, as instructed, you would know that there were many legitimate concerts with the format for round 2 of the grand prix. As state, the grand prix itself is an experiment, and changes are constant. If we ever do this again, it should be a much smoother operation. In the meantime, I have completely rewritten the rules for round 2.

More importantly, I have also decided to sacrifice one of the principals of the grand prix itself. I originally planned each round to last a week or two. Now I realize that is not possible due to the online ad-hoc nature of the competition. Therefore, participants must expect that while any individual round of the grand prix will be somewhat short, the entire competition may last for months. Anyway, here are the new updated rules for the backgammon round.

The backgammon round of the tournament will consist of a swiss tournament of six rounds. Every participant will play six opponents, one per round. In each match the opponents will play repeated games of backgammon until one of the players has scored a total of 5 points. The first player to reach five points is the victor.

The game will still be played according to standard backgammon rules using the doubling cube. One variant to those rules that will be used is the Crawford rule. No other rule variants will be in effect. Any digital or physical mechanism of playing backgammon is permitted.

The first round of the tournament will be seeded by convenience and also randomness. Each player who actually wishes to participate in this first round must email grandprix@frontrowcrew.com before Wednesday, March 20th 2013 New York time declaring that they wish to participate. A lack of any email will disqualify a player from the second round, and they will score zero grand prix points. In that email a player may either declare the name of their first round opponent, or request to be randomly paired. In the case of an odd number of players, a player will be randomly selected each round to receive a bye. Rounds after the first round will be seeded properly based on performance in earlier rounds.

It is up to the players to coordinate with each other and play their backgammon match within 7 days. If the first match must be completed and reported by Wednesday March, 27th 2013 New York time. Both players must submit the final scores by email to ensure they match. The score, and not just the name of the victor, is important for tie-breaking and seeding purposes.

If there is improper reporting, or if a match is not played or reported on time, the match will be scored as a draw. If the reports of both players conflict, it will result in a draw unless one player provides evidence to prove their opponent is lying. Anyone caught lying or cheating even once will be immediately disqualified from the entire grand prix. The opponent of a cheater will receive a total victory for that round. If you trust your opponent, no evidence gathering will be required for this round.

As usual, any questions and discussion that are necessary may be posted in the official forum thread for this round. Good luck.

OLD RULES BELOW

I must say round 1 was truly amazing. I am proud to say that our community is full of so many gaming badasses. Without further ado, let us move on to the much awaited next round.

GAME 2 - BACKGAMMON

Oh yes. The classic game of dice and checkers. Enjoyed by old guys around the world. It is a test of luck and risk management. How exactly will this round work? Read the following instructions carefully.

We are going to have self-seeded four-round swiss tournament. Because PAX East is upon us, this round will last longer than previous rounds. It will officially be over as soon as the clock strikes April 1st in New York City.

During the remaining month of March players are tasked with scheduling their own matches against each other. Part of the test here is being able to communicate and connect with the other players.

Players will play four matches against four different opponents. Each match will consist of five games of Backgammon for a total of 20 games. The games will be played according to the most standard rules with no variants whatsoever. These rules are described at the top of the official Wikipedia page for Backgammon. The doubling cube will be used, and score does matter. Each player's final score will be equal to their total across all 20 games. We may have to arrange a single elimination round in the case of ties. That single elimination round may overlap with round 3.

For each match not played, players will receive -5 points. This is to prevent the case where a player scores big in their first match, and wants to sit out the next three matches to make it harder for opponents to catch up. Non-participants will have a score of -20. With three weeks, you should be able to play all four rounds. Backgammon is a very quick game made even quicker by the doubling cube.

Players can play Backgammon using any means necessary. Webcams pointing at physical boards and dice are just fine. If you are willing to install Java, I highly recommend the implementation at games.yahoo.com. For those who are super serious there is also FIBS. Those going to PAX East or who live near other competitors can play completely offline. Any way you can find to play that is convenient, use it. I trust there will be no cheating because all players should study the rules carefully and settle disputes in a sportsmanlike fashion with their opponents.

After each match both participating players should email grandprix@frontrowcrew.com with the scores. Make sure to include in your reports the player names that are listed on the official scoring sheet. If the two reports for a match are not identical, I will be very disappointed and conduct an angry investigation with severe penalties. Recorded evidence will only be necessary if such an investigation occurs. Only record the game as much as you feel you need to in order to keep your opponent honest.

Again I would like to remind everyone this whole grand prix is an experiment, and rules may change as we work out what works best. It is up to you to keep an eye on the official forum threads in order to follow any changes and clarifications that come up.

Good luck.

Source Link
Post edited by Apreche on

Comments

• OH YISSS
  • Oh, shit! I totally want to play at least one of my games at PAX East.
  • I predict that at any given time at PAX East, there will be exactly one game of FRCF Grand Prix Backgammon.
  • Well, so much for this competition! It wasn't fun while it lasted.
  • Question:
    In the wikipedia article in the section about Doubling cube there seems to be lots of rules named after animals, people and places and from the text seems to heavily imply that they are mostly optional rule variants. Are some, none or all of those rules in use here?
  • edited March 2013
    Question:
    In the wikipedia article in the section about Doubling cube there seems to be lots of rules named after animals, people and places and from the text seems to heavily imply that they are mostly optional rule variants. Are some, none or all of those rules in use here?
    None. No beavers, racoons, Jacobys, etc.
  • I realised I forgot to submit my score or last round - but looking at the leaderboard - I was in the 0 Scoring bracket as well. (and looking at the video now - my proof It is also upside-down.)
  • edited March 2013
    Edited for revisionist history!

Fuck. No.

I haven't played in years! I probably suck now!

That said, I'm out if the loop for today as far as matches.

What if no one responds to my request for games? I foresee a situation where someone may be forced into incomplete games. Perhaps refusal to play with me on the grounds I'm the current Grand Prix leader?
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • edited March 2013
    Fuck. Yes!

I used to play Backgammon all the time! Quick story. I took a class trip to New York my Junior year in high school. I forgot my travelers checks in the car and it would take three days to get money to me via mail. A friend loaned me $40 until I could get my cash.

I snuck out of the hotel on the second night so I could do some late night, solo exploring of the city. Whilst on my adventure, I found a group of Armenians playing backgammon, one thing lead to another and I ended up taking them for almost $300.

That said, I'm out if the loop for today as far as matches.

What if no one responds to my request for games? I foresee a situation where someone may be forced into incomplete games. Perhaps refusal to play with me on the grounds I'm the current Grand Prix leader?
    That's entirely possible. Maybe you should have not just claimed to be very good at Backgammon? Also, if people have a hard time finding opponents, and you are the only one available, they have a strong incentive to play you. It is still better than playing nobody. You get five points just for playing somebody, even if you lose completely. Players who are very good also have a strong incentive to play you, lest they risk having you play against a scrub. I don't think it will be an actual problem.
  • Well shit. I've never played backgammon before.
    I'm not going to fall for that.

I'm not going to fall for that.

And now the seeds of doubt are sprouting.

• edited March 2013
    Why would you not believe that I've never played backgammon? It's not like everyone's always playing backgammon these days. I can figure it out pretty quickly I bet.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • This reeks of way too much meta. No one can keep Michael Schumacher off the track when he's in a Grand Prix race by simply saying, "I refuse to race you." But whatever, I'll do my best.

• Why would you not believe that I've never played backgammon? It's not like everyone's always playing backgammon these days. I can figure it out pretty quickly I bet.
    The basics, sure. It's really a subtle game, however. Playing AI won't teach you much. You should read books and practice against humans.
  • Well I'm not reading a strategy book that's for sure.
    We should match.
  • I've never played it before either (not officially anyway, I used to just mess around with my parents' set for fun), so I'll gladly play the other noobs.
  • I would almost like this more if it was chess even though I'm not good at chess. At least I could complete a game. Btw why was backgammon a consideration?
  • This reeks of way too much meta. No one can keep Michael Schumacher off the track when he's in a Grand Prix race by simply saying, "I refuse to race you." But whatever, I'll do my best.
    I recognize the meta, but it is logistically necessary. If you want me to pair everyone off and properly reseed each round, I can do that. But what if I make a pair that can't coordinate with each other? If enough of you are willing and able to play who I tell you to play, we can do that.
  • If anyone wishes to schedule with me please fell free to message me so that this can be arranged.
  • I recognize the meta, but it is logistically necessary. If you want me to pair everyone off and properly reseed each round, I can do that. But what if I make a pair that can't coordinate with each other? If enough of you are willing and able to play who I tell you to play, we can do that.
    If each match is essentially 1 week, I think that's enough time to coordinate. If they cannot, give them both the draw. Incentivize the behavior of participation. This also has the bonus of keeping with Swiss Tournament mechanics and matching winners against winners, losers against losers, so forth. As it is now, someone could be 3-0 and randomly pick a 0-3 player for their final match.
  • I played but never used the double die before so I didn't realise how it worked...simple enough betting mechanic. I have got a FIBS account now (under the same name as here)...going to play some random games to get use to the interface.
  • If you want me to pair everyone off and properly reseed each round, I can do that.
    I am SO okay with Scott making the matches.
  • Random thought whilst in the shower... If you plan on doing Swiss style things for future Grand Prix, seeding by championship points would seem appropriate. Like poling in Nascar, kinda.
  • Does anyone NOT want me to seed? I'll give it a day or two for people to discuss.
  • I'm perfectly fine with seeding. In fact it takes away one of the big parts that seems like a Pain in the ass to me.

Also this round is going to suck for me. I've played backgammon before and I don't think I've ever won.
  • edited March 2013
    The doubling cube will be used, and score does matter. Each player's final score will be equal to their total across all 20 games.
    You probably mean "...their total across all of the 20 games from matches that they won." Or do you perhaps mean "...their total of the four matches."

Otherwise the only sensible course is to immediately, at the start of each game, double up to 64 points.

PS: Also, getting stuck with a person who won't play means you get how many points? 1? 64? The mean of all the other game's played?
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • This is a tricky situation. The hardest thing being predicting *who*, out of the lower scores (and zeros) will not be participating in this round due to lack of interest or just bailing on the GP.

If Scott Seeds, does that mean we have to WAIT before we can play rounds 2, 3 and 4 of Back Gammon? Wait for the bracket to complete?

GIven none of us are "seeded at Backgammon" anyway, I would be 100% happy to be matched against 4 other random entrants who I know want to play.

Then just go hard over one week and play all my games.
  • Does anyone NOT want me to seed? I'll give it a day or two for people to discuss.
    I'm okay with it.