This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Wolf Children

edited March 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, Emily replaces Scott to review Mamoru Hosoda's Wolf Children, which we just saw at the International Children's Film Festival. We also are performing FIVE lectures at Anime Boston 2013!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Another enjoyable Emi episode. I look forward to this movie being released for purchase.
  • edited March 2013
    Just for the record: It was trivial for me to find an english subtitled version of the film using the method I outlined in the thread for the last Mamoru Hosoda film you guys discussed on the show. Not sure why Scott is having trouble. Oh wait, i do, because he dismissed that method out of hand.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited March 2013
    I found it trivially via torrents.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Just for the record: It was trivial for me to find an english subtitled version of the film using the method I outlined in the thread for the last Mamoru Hosoda film you guys discussed on the show. Not sure why Scott is having trouble. Oh wait, i do, because he dismissed that method out of hand.
    I attempted that method when I started watching Utena, but the link in step 3 never worked. Care to clarify?
  • edited March 2013
    Just for the record: It was trivial for me to find an english subtitled version of the film using the method I outlined in the thread for the last Mamoru Hosoda film you guys discussed on the show. Not sure why Scott is having trouble. Oh wait, i do, because he dismissed that method out of hand.
    I attempted that method when I started watching Utena, but the link in step 3 never worked. Care to clarify?
    news.is-fabulo.us is currently down, but this is how I downloaded it yesterday:

so after connecting to #news @ irc.rizon.net you search like this:

!find [search term]

One or more bots will send you some info back in the channel (sometimes its in the server connection window, but usually in the channel window). The info will look something like this:

<chaosof99> !find wolf children
    -HelloKitty- XDCC SERVER - slots:[23/30], Queue:[6/100], Min:100.0kB/s, Cap:11000.0kB/s -
    /MSG HelloKitty XDCC SEND x - Found: #2073:[Zorori-Project] Wolf Children Ame and Yuki [H264][1080p][2.0+5.1AC3][5EA557E9].mkv,5.0G
    #2080:[Zorori-Project] The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki [H264][720p][2.0+5.1AC3][4C294F24].mkv,3.3G

This tells you a bit about the bot itself (i.e. the name of the bot) as well as the packages or files it has relevant to your search term. In this case there are two packages:
    * [Zorori-Project] Wolf Children Ame and Yuki [H264][1080p][2.0+5.1AC3][5EA557E9].mkv
    * [Zorori-Project] The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki [H264][720p][2.0+5.1AC3][4C294F24].mkv

Basically the same film in two different encodes and resolution, subtitled by the same people. It also tells you that the former is 5GB in size, the latter 3.3GB and the file number on the bot you need to use to access the file.

Downloading files always works in this form:
    /MSG [Botname] XDCC SEND #[file number]

In this case to download the first file you have to type
    /MSG HelloKitty XDCC SEND #2073
    for the second file
    /MSG HelloKitty XDCC SEND #2080
    The command sends a message directly to the bot so it will send you the package behind the number to you via XDCC. A window should pop up for you and ask you to save it.

When news.is-fabulo.us returns, it has a decent web interface for a similar search and give a good listing of available files. Clicking on the list should give you a small popup with the message command, which you can easily copy and paste into the mIRC client.

Some versions of mIRC and other IRC clients have some auto-ignore for files via XDCC. To change those options in mIRC go to Tools -> Options and look in the DCC:Ignore category.
  • This is klassy.
  • I don't see why you'd bother when you can do this:
    http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=search&term=ame+yuki
    http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=search&term=ame+yuki
    It's faster and you are not dependent on a seeder as the bots are more commonly up.
  • Well, if I ever need to get a file that quickly I'll give it a go, but otherwise the extra effort is hard to justify, especially when torrents tend to use up most of my bandwidth anyway.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm glad you brought up Scott's Scottiness on the Utena videos. I felt like it was better to not point out little things that didn't really hurt the content.

I hope Scott will learn from this. This is an image of him from you guys recapping episode 2

Post edited by VichusSmith on
    http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=search&term=ame+yuki or
    https://www.tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=ame+yuki
    That's too hard for Apreche. Try this.
  • Thor hasn't encoded this movie. How you watch?
    You've only been given three fucking links to finding subs in the post above you, surely you can't be this retarded. Also, do you mean THORA? GLHF waiting.
    You've only been given three fucking links to finding subs in the post above you, surely you can't be this retarded. Also, do you mean THORA? GLHF waiting.
    No, like the actual god of thunder. He's a big Anime guy, doncha know.

• Emily was great in this episode. She mentioned worries about it being her noob episode, but really she sounded right at home :) It was fun to listen to.
  • Emily was great in this episode. [...] It was fun to listen to.
    We've been screaming for more Gomily for ages now. It was great to hear more.
  • edited July 2013
    DVD release going on shelves here in austria and germany on the 26th. Suck it.
  • You guys brought up how the romantic scenes don't shy away from incorporating Ookami's wolf form, and I agree it was essential, but I have another perspective. You've gotta consider that all furries have one trait in common, their "human" side. One thing you bring up is that Hana is basically fully accepting his personal identity totally by being able to love him even, and perhaps especially, in that form. "Furry" stories have this noticeable quality of the characters interfacing through their personalities more than via superficial traits. A rabbit may end up with a cat. A wolf may fall in love with a goat.

What I'm getting at here, is that in order to understand furry, you have to understand a core theme, a person is not merely a physical object that can be identified trivially. A person is a free will and it's identity, including their body and memories, that cannot be arrested by mundane observation. The father isn't a human that turns into a wolf, he is a person that switches between a human body and a wolf body. They're both part of his identity, neither is insubstantial, but he is more than just the 2 combined. This is how everyone is. We are all greater than the sum of our parts.

I often think about the fact that human and person are interchangeable to our society. This idea is pretty much destined to be challenged, not by Asimov or furry fiction, but by reality. We are going to find aliens or build machines one day that will ask us questions we aren't prepared to answer. People who are not human will make us confront this idea and it will humble us, but also force us to appreciate what we truly are. A person is something with traits that are almost supernaturally preposterous, yet were are confronted with the reality of these facts by simply living as people.

As long as anthropomorphism is used to say that people are more than physical objects it will be misunderstood. As long as character is seen as a passive phenomena of man meat people will struggle with it. What Hosoda has done is tell story of a family so well that that despite all the quirks viewers intuitively catch on it is about people. Viewers don't reject Hana's relationship with Ookami or the person-hood of her children because they see it for what it is. What writers call character is closer to the nature of humanity than anything that can be found in dna. Understanding how to imbue character is the single most important task of any artist trying to tell a story about a person.

Sorry for the long write-up but I had a lot to say about this, though it's really just an extensive essay on a couple simple concepts. Obviously anything dealing with furries or creative writing catches my interest, but in this case I find it particularly fascinating how deeply mutually exclusive an understanding of one is to the other. If you don't get what people are you'll have trouble writing furries and you'll certainly struggle writing human beings.