This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - King of Tokyo

edited May 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, returning triumphant from Anime Boston, we review Richard Garfield's King of Tokyo. It's a great warmup game, but it made us realize that far too few of you have ever played Yahtzee. We also discuss the new Xbox1 and the GTX780. Stay tuned for ConnectiCon and PAX Australia!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• "I've played many a solo Yahtzee." - Rym
    Best way to end that episode.
  • This episode may as well have been the Yahtzee episode.
    King of Tokyo had might as well be Yahtzee. ;^)
    King of Tokyo had might as well be Yahtzee. ;^)
    It's a somewhat better-dressed version of Yahtzee.

• I played it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I like a Yahtzee mechanic in a game.
  • edited May 2013
    I was worried that you guys were going to rush judgement on King of Tokyo and just call it crap b/c it uses Yahtzee as its core mechanic, but it seems the Garfield name gave you enough pause to give it a chance. You hit the nail on the head with this review. "Push your luck" dice games are a genre unto themselves and King of Tokyo happens to be one of the best.

There's nothing wrong with being a light 20 min game, and Scott is very right to say this is the true definition of a warmup game. I use King of Tokyo to lead into heavier games all the time. The brinksmanship element is very present, and it's nice to have some tension in a warmup game. It's tough to be the one to attack when you could keep rolling 3s, but if nobody does, then Mr. Tokyo is gonna run away with the game.

I've seen all sorts of positive buzz about the expansion, Power Up, but was worried it would try to do too much with it. The buzz is so positive I have to at least give it a try. Basically each character gets a personal deck of superpowers ("evolution" cards, some permanent, some temporary) and you get to draw one if you roll 3 hearts. It also adds a panda which is awesome.

On a sidenote, Alien Frontiers is not Yahtzee at all. You don't get to re-roll any dice unless you pick up some special powers. It's more like Kingsburg in space. Personally I think Alien Frontiers is a pretty good game. Rym's experience of rolling his opponents just means he was playing with chumps.

Also, I'm shocked people haven't played Yahtzee. If you want a good replica of the original edition, I recommend those fancy bookshelf editions you can get at Target. We keep all of the classics on a shelf in our living room for fanciness points, but the Yahtzee one actually gets busted out for play.

Listened during my commute so some other episode thoughts:
    - Microsoft didn't just downplay the 360 PC receiver, they seem to have silently discontinued it some years back. Still not too hard to find one online though, so maybe not fully discontinued?
    - Phoenix Wright games actually haven't been a huge success in the USA as of late, causing Capcom to debate not bringing over the latest title. After some waffling, they decided the only way they could make it worthwhile was to go download-only, so they'll be doing that later this year.
    - Nintendo gave in and translated a lot of the Japan-only Wii games once that console was dead, but this region stuff is incredibly frustrating, especially when they have their Virtual Console and eShop. I still want to play the original Rhythm Heaven for GBA. I subscribe to the Chris Kohler theory of "Nintendo should just release every single game, ever, on their VC shop on day 1" but instead it's this painful trickle of games we've seen time and time again.
    - Xbox One is confirmed to only have one SKU. No cheapo version.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • The wireless Xbox 360 USB receivers you see online are mostly bootleg, and not official. It's not easy to find a real one.
  • The wireless Xbox 360 USB receivers you see online are mostly bootleg, and not official. It's not easy to find a real one.
    I don't know. All these Microsoft logos on this receivers make it seem pretty legit, and it was pretty easy to find form Amazon.

I don't know. All these Microsoft logos on this receivers make it seem pretty legit, and it was pretty easy to find form Amazon.

If you read the reviews on Amazon, a lot of people say they received a non-legit one despite the picture.
  • It's not impossible to find legitimate receivers, you might have to buy it in a bundle with a controller though, I haven't seen a real receiver without a controller for years.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows

It's also on Amazon under that product name, but from 3rd party vendors, I'd wager that it's probably the real thing on Amazon too.
  • This is the the one I purchased last September. It works great and looks legit to me.

It didn't have any shiny stickers on it like the gray one has in the gallery of user uploaded photos.

If it isn't legit, oh well. It works fine. Installation was simple. I don't recall having to use the install CD it came with.
  • Whoops. Used the wrong link. This is the correct one. However, I recently unplugged it to see if there was a shiny Microsoft sticker on it and plugged it back in. Now my computer cannot recognize the dongle at all. T_T

I rebooted and everything. *sigh*
  • I have a legit one I purchased in a physical store long ago.
  • Here's the top review for the one Ro linked.

Yes It's Fake - But - It Does Work!
  • I also have a real one that I purchased a long time ago. I prefer the corded controller when playing on PC.
  • I think I just may have to go to a Microsoft store to buy one when the time comes.
  • I hope they have a corded version of the new controller I can use on my PC. It's annoying to switch my wireless adapter to the PC the few times I want to play a gamepad game on the PC instead of the HTPC.
  • Alien Frontiers is nothing like Yahtzee though
  • For the record, I have never played Alien Frontiers. Only Rym has.
  • edited May 2013
    Whoa is that what they said in the episode? Haven't listened. Alien Frontiers was succinctly described by Matt. It's Kingsburg in outer space. I think it's a more solid game than Kingsburg and I'm looking forward to play with the new Kickstarter promo cards.

With that being said, this game will be brought to Prime.

Also, very saddened that my off market dongle is no longer working. I plugged it into all the various USB ports on my HTPC and PC and it is no longer being recognized.

/saddest of pandas
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Whoa is that what they said in the episode? Haven't listened. Alien Frontiers was succinctly described by Matt. It's Kingsburg in outer space.
    Yeah but in iruul's defense, my mention of Rym's error was in a wall of text that I splooged all over this thread and didn't actually expect anyone to read.

• edited May 2013
    I think I just may have to go to a Microsoft store to buy one when the time comes.
    Called our local store, they only have the controller with dongle pack for $60. You can get it cheaper on Amazon or NewEgg.
  • I think I just may have to go to a Microsoft store to buy one when the time comes.
    Called our local store, they only have the controller with dongle pack for $60. You can get it cheaper on Amazon or NewEgg.
    That looks like it might be legit... The issue, as you yourself has noticed, is that there are a lot of non-legit controllers on Amazon.
  • I played it once (plus expansion), and the rerolling seemed more prominent than it otherwise would be in a typical game. You're right in that it is much more like Kingsburg.

I think I'm tired of / done with the games that use dice in this manner, however, moreso than I am with Yahtzee games. But, tired nonetheless of both. King of Tokyo gets a pass in that it's elegant and SHORT.
  • I'm a fan of Alien Frontiers just bought the complete set.
  • edited May 2013
    I think I just may have to go to a Microsoft store to buy one when the time comes.
    That looks like it might be legit... The issue, as you yourself has noticed, is that there are a lot of non-legit controllers on Amazon.
    Yeah, the most recent reviews state that its the real deal and not off brand. Jeremy knows a guy who works for MS that can get a discount. If it's cheaper than Amazon, we'll go that route.
  • I've been looking at King of Tokyo with some curiosity, but Skyline left me cold (a little too simple/obvious). I did play Elder Sign last week, expecting to dislike it, but it was surprisingly fun. My favorite press-your-luck dice game is Can't Stop, which manages to be interesting without using the Yahtzee dice mechanic.
  • edited May 2013
    ^ Aha ok this dude just mentioned three more so I guess there's a whole lot of games like that and I just gotta look harder :)
    I played it once (plus expansion), and the rerolling seemed more prominent than it otherwise would be in a typical game. You're right in that it is much more like Kingsburg.

I think I'm tired of / done with the games that use dice in this manner, however, moreso than I am with Yahtzee games. But, tired nonetheless of both. King of Tokyo gets a pass in that it's elegant and SHORT.
    What other decent games use Yahtzee style dice rolling? The only ones I know are the two mentioned in this thread, and I like both of them a lot. I think it's cool + fun as a mechanic for a larger game, wouldn't mind checking out more like these two. I take it Kingsburg uses a similar mechanic as well?

Also I would say Alien Frontiers is super Yahtzee-y since, while there isn't much whole hog re-rolling, you are always rolling for specific sets, whereas in King of Tokyo, you're mostly just rolling for triples.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • ^ Aha ok this dude just mentioned three more so I guess there's a whole lot of games like that and I just gotta look harder :)
    I played it once (plus expansion), and the rerolling seemed more prominent than it otherwise would be in a typical game. You're right in that it is much more like Kingsburg.

What other decent games use Yahtzee style dice rolling? The only ones I know are the two mentioned in this thread, and I like both of them a lot. I think it's cool + fun as a mechanic for a larger game, wouldn't mind checking out more like these two. I take it Kingsburg uses a similar mechanic as well?

Also I would say Alien Frontiers is super Yahtzee-y since, while there isn't much whole hog re-rolling, you are always rolling for specific sets, whereas in King of Tokyo, you're mostly just rolling for triples.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/647374/dice-game-that-plays-like-yahtzee-but-more-fun
  • edited May 2013
    Skyline is a good simple breakout game to play in a short time. If you we're expecting more, you were kidding yourself.