This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061010 - Atari Game Reviews

RymRym
edited October 2006 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we review a pile of Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 games, including Ice Hockey, Warlords, Slot Racer, Maze Craze, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Outlaw, Combat, Crystal Castles, Pitfall, Yar's Revenge, and more. In the news, Gillette's free razors aren't news, and the PS3 was available for preorder.

Comments

• I can't download the episode.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    The enclosure for the feed was created last night, and I downloaded it as a test. I downloaded it again this morning from work. I can't see any problems.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    Pac-Man for the Atari 2600 was broken. There was a certain route you could travel where you would never get killed. You could do this route over, and over, and over...

It's a bummer, because I;ve never been more excited for a game release than Pac-Man. We were looking forward to that thing for months.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Happily, the 7800 version of Ms. Pacman was quite excellent. The skills I gained playing that as a child proved quite useful against Scott in Albany last Sunday. ^_~
  • AbZAbZ
    edited October 2006
    iam aussie lol and u make me cry with ur attempt of aussie accent lol...btw all aussiez dont talk liek dat
    Post edited by AbZ on
  • Crikey g'day mate, g'day mate mate. G'day crikey mate crikey, crikey mate g'day; mate mate g'day crikey.

WTF, mate?
  • That attempt at our accent was woefully classic. Please, please do it again on another episode of Geeknights. In fact, if you did a whole show in the Australian accent I would probably die of a serious case of Funny.
  • iam aussie lol and u make me cry with ur attempt of aussie accent lol...btw all aussiez dont talk liek dat
    oh god zod...please tell me that was intentional.
  • We're much worse with British accents, a fact which came into stark illumination after participating in a duet of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" done entirely in various forms of British.

Someone should make a podcast that's nothing more than recordings of people from various places playing at the accents from various other places. Comedy gold.
  • Crikey g'day mate, g'day mate mate. G'day crikey mate crikey, crikey mate g'day; mate mate g'day crikey.
    I don't know why, but I laughed so hard it hurt upon reading that...
  • Could that someone be you Rym? Or even Scott for that matter?
  • I can't believe you trashed Crystal Castles! That was the game of my youth - I remember that game more fondly than SMB3!

I made it to the last castle but couldn't beat it; from what I remember it had four towers (with that dancing ghost) and a large open area where the trees could easily kill me. I bought a disk of Atari's classic games for the PC a few months ago so I could try again, but it'll never feel the same as playing it on our redesigned Atari 2600 when I was seven years old.

I fell asleep during my commute this morning so I don't know if you reviewed/mentioned Centipede/Millipede, only for the fact that my grandmother kicked every-one's a double-s in Millipede. Both of the above-mentioned games, as well as the 2600 version of Dig-Dug were the best games of my early youth.
  • edited October 2006
    Haha you paid for Atari games. Ever heard of an emulator? Myabe I'm just a cheap ass.
    (Jason votes for River Raid with a Sega Genesis gamepad.)
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I've been very tempted to buy this.
  • edited October 2006
    I just downloaded an Atari 7800 emulator. I'm surprised that the games don't seem much better than the 2600. I was expecting NES quality, but they certainly are not. The ROMs appear to be about 1/4 the size of a Nintendo ROM, so I guess they musn't be as good.

One question about the original Pitfall. Could you actually win the damn thing, or did you just keep running and walking into an infinity of crocodiles and scorpions?
  • Oh, to answer the question about pinky fingers that came up during the show; the pinky finger is quite important in kendo, almost as important as the thumb. The pinky, ring, and middle fingers are used to provide a fine level of control in conjunction with the wrist.
  • I've been very tempted to buythis.
    I've seen that and was also briefly tempted, but I don't think you'll ever catch me shelling out $30 for Atari 2600. If, however, anyone ever finds a similar stand-alone Duckhunt game built right into the gun for $20 or so (that plugs directly into the TV), let me know. I've been dying to play that one lately.
  • When I was a kid we had an Atari but for the life of me I can't remember any of the titles. Not much of a geek am I? Today at work I had to ring one of our offices and they put me on hold and it was that Atari-esque music. My co-workers didn't understand why I was laughing.
  • Some of my happiest childhood memories involve Atari 2600:
    • Christmas 1978 (probably 1978, I think I was in third grade. That would make me eight years, twenty-one days old), and hearing the rumbling sound of the tanks in Combat for the first time on MY OWN ATARI 2600. Up to then, I had been floating to around the various houses of friends in the neighborhood who had an Atari. Now my brothers and I had our own!
    • Having a friend come by offering to lend me all of his "tapes" (as he called them), in exchange for my Pac-Man cart.
    • Finding the "Transdimensional Dot" in Adventure, after reading how to do it in a magazine. That might be my first contact with an Easter Egg in a game.
    • Playing Pitfall II with the sound off and the song "Saving the Day" from the Ghostbusters soundtrack on the record player.
    We never got a 5200 or a 7800. The next console we had was a Colecovision (1980?), which must have been less cool, since I can't remember a single game I used to play. After that, I started to get more into PC games, such as they were back then: the Infocom text-based adventure games (the Zork series, Infidel, and similar) were my favorites. My next console, was an N64 that I bought in 1998, a PlayStation in 1999, and a PS2 last year. I stay -- by choice -- behind the curve on that stuff. I don't have that much time these days anyway (says the guy who played Lego Star Wars II with his son for three hours on Saturday, and six hours yesterday).

Ah, youth.

Cheers,

Hank
  • edited October 2006
    This show is costing me money! It could also send me to divorce court!

I finally broke down and got an IPod. Now I want a DS Lite. I also want a Wii. It's safe to say that I wouldn't have thought twice about any of these if it weren't for Geek Nights.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2006
    I'll note that Scott lost 11 of the 12 games of Mario Brothers we played last night. ^_~

Granted, he can blame the controller as usual. He has no excuse for Warlords, however, which uses the paddle, and where he lost spectacularly...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I finally broke down and got an IPod. Now I want a DS Lite. I also want a Wii. It's safe to say that I wouldn't have thought twice about any of these if it weren't for Geek Nights.
    Just wait for Ferrari week.
  • Why the hating on Yar's Revenge? That game was awesome. After you get over its initial lameness it has quite an addictive quality to it. Cool audio on that game! I recommend gutting it out for half hour and then see how you feel about it.
  • So now that it is 2011, it is time for Scott to dig up his 20-year-expired coupon for a free pizza hut pizza and try to redeem it.
  • So now that it is 2011, it is time for Scott to dig up his 20-year-expired coupon for a free pizza hut pizza and try to redeem it.
    Where does this coupon come from? TMNT2 for NES instruction manual?
  • Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is what you said in the episode.
  • Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is what you said in the episode.
    I have it still.