This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• It doesn't help that police have to use FMJ bullets by law, IIRC. Hollowpoints are messy, but they don't pass through as easily and you shouldn't shoot at anything you don't want to kill anyway.
  • It doesn't help that police have to use FMJ bullets by law, IIRC. Hollowpoints are messy, but they don't pass through as easily and you shouldn't shoot at anything you don't want to kill anyway.
    I'm pretty sure the convention that requires the use of FMJ is only for active, wartime soldiers. Does NY state law make them use FMJs? Cus I'm pretty sure that there's no restriction, legally, on law enforcement using Soft or Hollow points.
  • Says exactly that on the wikipedia page. Such war conventions don't apply to domestic affairs.
  • edited August 2012
    Regardless, even a 9mm JHP is going to over penetrate at that range.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • My boss is trying to corner me into saying that I quit. Dealing with stupid people is irritating.
  • Possibly the most poignant thing to come out of the Empire State Building shooting? This Onion article, originally from two days ago.
  • Regardless, even a 9mm JHP is going to over penetrate at that range.
    Yeah, true. At any rate, I'm 99% sure that CPD doesn't allow JHPs, but I could be wrong.

Still, no excuse for this lack of training. Given that officers deal with the civilian populace, I feel like they should be at least as capable as Marines with regard to their marksmanship. That might be overkill, but way too many kids in Chicago have caught strays (from gangs *and* CPD cops) for me to care.
  • I can't seem to install Windows on my Mac through Bootcamp, due to "windows software not available." So I can't get anything to working. Without that, no Guild Wars 2 and not spending time with my girlfriend.

This might seem too much, but this has easily been one of the worst weeks of my life, from Last Sunday to Today. Car Wreck, Payments, Taking Care of Uncle's Dogs during Interview (Which he probably didn't get, so he's going to move in), School Starting on Monday, Car Availability Drama, Paying for Tuition and Parking Permits, and my oven breaking along with this.

Fuck you, August!
  • @chaosof99: The stupid! It burns!
  • I'm sorry, we live in a day and age where you can know anything instantly. GOOGLE IT!!!!!!
  • I'm sorry, we live in a day and age where you can know anything instantly. GOOGLE IT!!!!!!
    Unfortunately, those people still exist and won't go away as long a human has the capacity to be stupid.

• On the first day of school last night, one of my school's incoming freshmen fell out of her fourteenth-story dorm window. It's suspected to have been a suicide.

I... don't have words.
  • Okay, forgive me for sounding insensetive but, Girl! You already paid your tuition! WTF!?
  • With respect, given the recent situation with one of our longest and best-loved members, I don't think that's entirely appropriate.
  • With respect, given the recent situation with one of our longest and best-loved members, I don't think that's entirely appropriate.
  • Syllabus day must have been some heavy shit.
  • I'm not sure I would associate the event with the word "fail"
  • Oh yeah, man. The stigma attached to depression which prevents people from seeking easy-to-obtain therapeutic and pharmaceutical treatment for a disease which causes them to take their own life? That's not a fail for society. Neither is the fact that a young girl on the first day of what many describe as "the best years of [their] life" threw herself out a window.

Sure.
  • So she failed at life? Is that what you're saying?
  • Matt, stop trying to joke about this. Someone killed herself.
  • edited August 2012
    No, man. As someone who has thought about suicide, knows people who have attempted suicide, and knew someone who committed suicide, I'm saying it's probably not okay to joke about this if the funniest you can manage is, "Syllabus day must have been some heavy shit."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Anytime an Innocent person dies it's a fail. Don't be a dick, dude.
  • Thanks for the perspective, guys.
  • edited August 2012
    First off, you haven't actually confirmed that it was a suicide.

Second off, two of my very close friends have tried to commit suicide. One who succeeded and one who did not. I find it offensive that something like that would be put alongside tweets of dumb bimbos who don't know who Neil Armstrong is as well as associating it with a word whose Internet connotation has become synonymous with stupidity. Now while I'm offended I chose not to say anything about it because I know that wasn't the intention and instead opted to make a casual observation on the matter in my second post, which you apparently did not pick up on.

Lastly, my joke was half in jest and half ironic since I would assume there was more to her depression than "the first day of school" (if she truly committed suicide).
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • ┌(┌ಠ_ಠ)┐

This is for fails of all magnitude. When the missiles fly, someone will post it here.
  • I don't want to agree with Matt, but I kinda do. The word "fail" has lost all sense of scale. Putting a suicide and the Empire State Building shootings along side stupid people on the internet feels demeaning.
  • If you look back through this thread you'll see that it's full of death and horror, alongside the standard stuff. The tone of the discussion always changes with the topic. It's par for the course. You're getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.
  • If you look back through this thread you'll see that it's full of death and horror, alongside the standard stuff. The tone of the discussion always changes with the topic. It's par for the course. You're getting your panties in a bunch over nothing.