This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Came_from_the_Desert

This game is totally ruined for me now that I've read on reddit that if you scale an ant up to this large, he will suffocate.

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/11av3j/if_you_scaled_an_ant_up_to_the_size_of_an/
  • A kid a few doors down has literally never eaten anywhere but Gracies.
    A bit late, but I don't.....fucking what? Does this kid know that Commons exists?

• A kid a few doors down has literally never eaten anywhere but Gracies.
    A bit late, but I don't.....fucking what? Does this kid know that Commons exists?

He's "comfortable" there, he says.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    A kid a few doors down has literally never eaten anywhere but Gracies.

Dude, I knew kids who drove home every weekend with their dirty laundry for their mom to wash it for them. I knew kids who only ate at Gracies because they were afraid to change their meal plan. I knew kids who never left their dorm rooms except for class and ate from groceries their parents delivered every few days.

A good percentage (easily 5% I'd guess) of the kids at RIT are sheltered fuckups who have no concept of how to live independently and are paralyzed by the thought of doing anything different.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I only ever knew one guy in person who went to RIT. He was a socially inept, egotistical shitbag, and talked about RIT constantly as if attending there had made him godlike and unassailable in all aspects of life.

Consequently, whenever I hear about RIT that's the strongest association I have. That dickbag.
  • I only ever knew one guy in person who went to RIT. He was a socially inept, egotistical shitbag, and talked about RIT constantly as if attending there had made him godlike and unassailable in all aspects of life.

Consequently, whenever I hear about RIT that's the strongest association I have. That dickbag.
    Did he go for Software Engineering? Please tell me he went there for Software Engineering.

They're shitbags. :D

• Yeah. Software Engineering.
  • HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

AHAHAHAHAHAH

*breath*

HAHAHAHA

Okay.
  • I am against distribution of the male HPV vaccine to minors on the grounds that it hurts like a bitch.
  • Man, it is fucking crazy windy today.
  • Borderlands 2 was patched and now my character is basically invulnerable?
  • edited October 2012
    OMG Muppet, he was an SE major? I'm with the Prof here, I'm dying.

50% of SE is douchebags. They're just the shittiest people who insult any major (IT is for dropouts, Game Design is for stupid babies, CS is social outcasts) and build up their own, telling you how you need to look into some real coding language (like Ruby or something), and that the one you use is lame and closed source.

I'm sure the major is wonderful and has it's great uses...But it attracts dicks. Like a vagina.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Hey. Ain't nothin' wrong with a vagina.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey. Ain't nothin' wrong with a vagina.
    Unless is dentata, then it is kind of dangerous and not fun at all.
    Unless you like to live in

Post edited by Erwin on
  • But it attracts dicks. Like a vagina.
    Hey. Ain't nothin' wrong with a vagina.
    I suppose my analogy breaks down because vaginas are desirable, but a lot of SE students aren't...Hmm...

I suppose my analogy breaks down because vaginas are desirable, but a lot of SE students aren't...Hmm...

No no no. An SE degree, like a vagina, is a desirable thing. But for most of us, dicks (SE students) are not. It works perfectly.
  • Thank you. I feel better now...
  • OMG Muppet, he was an SE major? I'm with the Prof here, I'm dying.

50% of SE is douchebags. They're just the shittiest people who insult any major (IT is for dropouts, Game Design is for stupid babies, CS is social outcasts) and build up their own, telling you how you need to look into some real coding language (like Ruby or something), and that the one you use is lame and closed source.

I'm sure the major is wonderful and has it's great uses...But it attracts dicks. Like a vagina.
    Wait software engineering is different than cs at rit? Wtf?
  • I just found out that anime body pillows/bed sheets are apparently really expensive. I wanted do an otaku variation on the old favorite of a bed sheet ghost costume.
  • I just found out that anime body pillows/bed sheets are apparently really expensive. I wanted do an otaku variation on the old favorite of a bed sheet ghost costume.
    Find cheap knockoffs. They're in the tens of dollars, but apparently not ideal for humping. Check China.
  • Know any good sites for that? I don't need to hump it, just cut it up.
  • No. I only know this from discussions I've come across. I have no personal experience. You're honestly best off asking /a/ or /jp/.
  • I don't need to hump it, just cut it up.
    Just thought I'd take this out of context before someone else does.
  • I've been getting back into Coheed and Cambria lately. Good stuff. They also have a new cd.
  • OMG Muppet, he was an SE major? I'm with the Prof here, I'm dying.

Wait software engineering is different than cs at rit? Wtf?
    I guess at a school that breaks down various areas of technology to as fine a granularity as RIT apparently does, I can sort of see that. At one point, some schools, even highly respected ones like MIT, didn't have separate degree programs for CS. MIT, for example, used to stick it in with electrical engineering (and I think it's still technically part of the EE curriculum there). My alma mater, Brown, had it as part of the applied mathematics curriculum up until the 1980s or so. Neither of the schools have an IT degree -- most of the folks I know who ended up in IT after graduation had CS degrees. RIT may be ahead of the curve in splitting Software Engineering off from Computer Science.

That said, there was a company paid for graduate program in software engineering my last company was offering (note that I didn't stay long enough to take advantage of it). Looking over its curriculum, it seemed much more geared towards managing large projects and such whereas CS always seemed to be much more focused on theoretical concepts such as discrete mathematics, algorithms, etc. Admittedly, a good CS degree should also feature some software engineering as part of its curriculum (my alma mater required all CS majors to take a couple of software engineering classes to get their degree), but the focus of most of the course work wasn't on software design principles.
  • RIT also split out Applied Networking from Information Technology. CE was separate from both CS and SE.
  • edited October 2012
    Long story short, RIT divides up lots of the computing stuff. This sometimes leads to overspecialization, but that works for a lot of people.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • RIT grads I know who actually graduated have never been overspecialized in my opinion.
  • I think many schools now are starting to offer an IT degree as the bastard stepchild of their CS degree which is itself usually a bastard stepchild of the engineering school or something similar.

I went to a state school that added the IT degree after the fact as a sort of lower rung in difficulty than the CS degree, which itself already had two branches of difficulty: one in the engineering school that required all the math required to graduate from the engineering school, and one from the arts and sciences that instead required more humanities/fine-arts/languages. In reality, they need to put IT/CS/SE be a separate "school" than either engineering or "arts and sciences" (itself probably the most bastardized school) rather than department for various reasons, but there's no budget for that here.