This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Februrary 2014 Nidhogg Tournament

This will be a double elimination tournament. Rounds must be scheduled at a reasonable time agreeable to both opponents in a round. Rym is the sole arbiter of what is reasonable. Rym will arbitrarily resolve all disputes. If you experience lag and cannot agreeably resolve it with your current opponent, Rym will arbitrarily decide how to handle the situation.

We're in no rush. If it takes all month, whatever. I want the best person to win. I expect that I will win.

Good luck.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1b_Q08tMYUFvmVX1QFzmK0okzoktTfaR2e0AoWd5_y-o/viewform

Comments

• Left Nidhogg matchmaking on while I played NES Remix tonight. Place is a damn ghost town. 1-2 online at all times. Got 4 opponents in an hour and three obviously didn't know how to play, while the fourth was just bad.
  • Played for the first time tonight. Beat Rym a couple times though and definitely learned his strategies ;)
  • Run as fast as possible, jump over the other asshole, sometimes throw the sword, stab behind at all opportunity. ;^)

Andrew did beat me twice in all of those games. I'm very disappointed in myself for that.
  • edited February 2014
    You guys probably already know, but if you do a quarter-circle forward motion while moving forward, you do a cartwheel which when finished will immediately disarm anyone in sword range, you can also do it mid thrust to boost yourself forward. If you come out of the cartwheel out of sword range you are instantly in guard posture.

Also if you lag against your opponent you can sometimes phase right through them and keep running or kill them.

It seems because your leg sticks out, a low thrust will always win.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • edited February 2014
    I played around with it more, it's just tapping down twice in the middle of the run (backwards or forwards to cartwheel), you can attack in the middle of the cartwheel to gain yourself huge ground, plus you move faster.

I scared off all the players online wtf is this, these guys were only marginally better than the AI and easier to predict.

I guess the downside of these types of games is that people feel that they don't have any other options and give up rather than work out what they can improve on. It must be similar situation to high level Street Fighter where everyone knows the moves and combos but its more about working out how your opponent plays and how to take advantage.

Damn I'd love to play but I doubt my 240+ ping would let me be anything but fodder.

Oh yeah I also found out as soon as your enemy goes into high stance and their isn't a sword coming at them they're pretty much dead, either roll, cartwheel or dive kick can kill them.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I have not tried this cartwheel. Sounds interesting.

I will say that I haven't had much luck divekicking into an opponent with high stance. I often wind up diving just a bit too soon and go right into the high sword. My key is to be unpredictable though, sometimes rolling under, sometimes fake-jumping backwards after a dash, and sometimes saying fuck it and going for the divekick anyway on the high sword.
  • Matt said:

I have not tried this cartwheel. Sounds interesting.

I will say that I haven't had much luck divekicking into an opponent with high stance. I often wind up diving just a bit too soon and go right into the high sword. My key is to be unpredictable though, sometimes rolling under, sometimes fake-jumping backwards after a dash, and sometimes saying fuck it and going for the divekick anyway on the high sword.

It is possible to dive kick a high sword guy, but you have to basically kick his back sholder.
  • I switched to using my joystick. The game is infinitely better.

However, I have now discovered how badly lag affects high level play. The techniques I developed using the joystick are almost impossibly to use if there's lag.

I need to experiment more. But for the tournament, I will probably use my regular level tactics.
  • Rym said:

I switched to using my joystick. The game is infinitely better.

This seems to be the case with many fighting games.
    It is super annoying that no one is playing this anymore on the servers in Australia (or I'm searching at the wrong time).
    Apreche said:

It is possible to dive kick a high sword guy, but you have to basically kick his back sholder.

You can change the angle of your dive kick depending on the jump. You can get a more acute angle and divekick under the sword and onto the opponent's foot.

Seriously, it'll be fun. I'll have a dumb prize. Double elimination! No real time limit to finish once we start, but you have to be signed up BEFORE we start.
  • You had me at dumb prize.
  • I'd love to play, but I really think I would just get frustrated due to lag, being on a wireless connection and all.
  • Lag and bullshit all the way. I suspect a little bit of dumb luck will be in play in terms of who actually wins ;^)
  • Just play anyway. I don't understand this mentality. It seems like people who feel they have no chance of winning decide that it's better to not compete at all. That's ridiculous. First of all, you at least have a miniscule chance no matter what. Secondly, even if you know you are going to lose, you get to play a bunch of Nidhogg against people, which is more fun than no Nidhogg at all, or against random Internet fools.

I see this a lot at Netrunner tournaments. People who are completely new and bought one box don't want to play in the tournament that they will almost definitely lose. Why not? It's swiss. You get to play a ton of Netrunner. You know you aren't going to win, so you won't even feel disappointed when you lose. Just show up and have a ball.
  • edited February 2014
    What the fuck is "fun"? I play to win.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I'd play, but I don't want to play $15 badly.
  • Andrew said:

What the fuck is "fun"? I play to win.

You can't win if you don't play.

• Time's running out. Sign up. ;^)