This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm Coming to New York!

edited April 2010 in Everything Else
I'm going to be in New York City from May 19th until the 22nd. So if anyone wants to hang out, then I would be totally up for it.

Comments

• Sadly I work the 19th and 20th, and the 21st I'm playing drunk by noon in a field with some friends. :P
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    I'll see what I can do. I'm there...but only on the 20th... :(
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I'm almost definitely around.
  • Ah man... it's times like this I wish I lived down in the City.
  • Ah man... it's times like this I wish I lived down in the City.
    You couldn't just come down for a day?
  • edited April 2010
    6 hour drive there, 6 hour drive back.

EDIT: Blerg. If it was the weekend I could have possibly stayed with friends, but it's mostly weekdays. I gots to work.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • 6 hour drive there, 6 hour drive back.
    Ew. That's rough. Are you coming to Otakon, though?
  • My friend are pressuring me into it, so I suppose I'll go. I think I can manage PAX Prime and Otakon. Not sure about any other cons this year...
  • I think I can manage PAX Prime and Otakon. Not sure about any other cons this year...
    The real question is if you are going to both Pax Prime and Otakon, do you need to go to any other cons?
  • The real question is if you are going to both Pax Prime and Otakon, do you need to go to any other cons?
    Hmm. Good point. PAX every six months, and Otakon once a year? Maybe some Connecticon? If I move to NYC, I'll go to all of those local cons.
  • Bumping for relevance.
  • Yep, definitely around. Any plans?
  • Yep, definitely around. Any plans?
    I'm going to go to a few museums with my mom and will see Mary Poppins on Friday evening.
  • Okay, whelp. I'm totally free on the 20th and the 22nd. I'll keep checking back to see if there are any hangouts.

(Protip: The Columbus Circle area is rather conducive to hanging out - Park + mall-type thing + lots of food, etc.)
  • Turns out that there is an early dismissal on Thursday so I can come on that day after all.
  • If you want to try to hang out with me while I'm in New York, call me or text me at 443-766-0958. Just be sure to tell me your forum name and real name or whatever you want me to call you.
  • Alright, so the plan at the moment is for me + Geofino + Li to meetup in/around the Nintendo World Store sometime in the mid-late afternoon, and go shopping and such nonsense around there. Li said just now that he's not sure when he'll be getting there, but I plan on being in the general area sometime around 3. If anyone else wants to come, and you are free to come, give me or Li a text or something (my number is 914-648-9665).

See you guys later!
  • You guys should go down to St. Mark's.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    Alright, so the plan at the moment is for me + Geofino + Li to meetup in/around the Nintendo World Store sometime in the mid-late afternoon, and go shopping and such nonsense around there. Li said just now that he's not sure when he'll be getting there, but I plan on being in the general area sometime around 3. If anyone else wants to come, and you are free to come, give me or Li a text or something (my number is 914-648-9665).

See you guys later!
    I'll be getting on the New Haven Union Station train to Grand Central Terminal @ 12:57 PM. I'm unsure as to exactly when I'll arrive at GC, but that's inconsequential since the Nintendo World Store is just a ten minute trip via first walking a bit, getting on a bus, then walking again. SEE YA!!
    You guys should go down to St. Mark's.
    Why? What's there?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You guys should go down to St. Mark's.
    Why? What's there?
    Seconded. Also, it's a long way away. What's going on down there?
  • Fucking awesome Japanese bars, like deshiberu and kenka. It's basically where you go to get the rad Japanese food and karaoke. Also, it is where a lot of punk stores are. I used to live on 7th and it is one of my favorite hangout spots.
  • edited May 2010
    Fucking awesome Japanese bars, like deshiberu and kenka. It's basically where you go to get the rad Japanese food and karaoke. Also, it is where a lot of punk stores are. I used to live on 7th and it is one of my favorite hangout spots.
    Ooooooothat sounds good. Maybe we'll go. You guys gonna be there?
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Fucking awesome Japanese bars, like deshiberu and kenka. It's basically where you go to get the rad Japanese food and karaoke. Also, it is where a lot of punk stores are. I used to live on 7th and it is one of my favorite hangout spots.
    Ooooooothat sounds good. Maybe we'll go. You guys gonna be there?
    I'm sold.
  • Nuri and I will be at this thing on Saturday. You should all drop by.
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    I might as well comment on how everything went. It was awesome beyond awesome. First, I got my tickets in New Haven, hopped on the train, and got to NYC. After I got off, I texted Joe (Prof. Pangloss) and found he was at the Nintendo World Store. We rendezvoused and I found he was with his life-long friend, Faye (she is also a forumite, but one of the Lurkers Clan).

Joe and I hit it off right away and we just started talking about various geekeries and the like. I found Faye to be outrageously awesome; I can describe her as being the yin to Joe's yang (or is it the other way around?). While waiting for Ryan, we got some pizza at Primo's Pizza right across the street; after which Faye had to leave for a bit but said we would meet again at a comic store. After eating, Ryan texted me and told us to meet us at a subway station. Unfortunately the meeting was very brief and we had to part ways after 15 mins. which was kind of a bummer.

After Ryan left, Joe and I started wandering the area around Times Square and we eventually stopped at a Best Buy. Since I had dough to spend, I bought both Fallout 3 and Bioshock 1. Faye called Joe up after we left and there was apparently a miscommunication and she ended up going to the wrong store, and was a little pissed.

We decided to go to Midtown Comics anyway, and found that Faye came anyway despite the fact she was a little annoyed, so we browsed for a little while. There was one item of note that I was drooling at. Originally the base price was $132.00, but it was heavily slashed down to $32.00 presumably because no one cared enough about it to pay the price, but you could bet your ass I would have bought it if I had more cash on me.

Shortly thereafter, we parted ways and I headed on home. I'm definitely considering hanging out with the esteemed Professor again because it was so much fun.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Glad you guys had fun. I was in Brooklyn with some friends hanging around near the park slope area, and we checked out this Indie Market and went to the Botanical Garden.
  • we checked out this Indie Market
    I was underwhelmed by the size of the tent. However, I met a guy involved with the Brooklyn Brew Shop. If you're in the city and interested in giving home brewing a shot, check 'em out. They've got some all-grain kits that sound pretty interesting, and they sell 1 gallon equipment kits, perfect for a small city apartment.
  • Glad you guys had fun. I was in Brooklyn with some friends hanging around near the park slope area, and we checked out this Indie Market and went to the Botanical Garden.
    Thanks. Next time, we're gonna go to St. Marks because it sounds too cool to not be visited. You know of any other areas or places that aren't touristy or crappy?
  • I've been planning a holiday in New York for about a year, where "planning" means "thinking about". The idea was to spend four to six weeks in the city over the second half of August and most of September. I've modified my plans a bit due to work (and another holiday) and now I've just bought my flight to New York for September 2nd. I've not decided how long I'll stay in New York just yet, but or if I can get a flight home via a work trip so I don't have to pay, but I'm at least half-committed to the holiday.
  • now I've just bought my flight to New York for September 2nd.
    You should have bought to Seattle instead. That's PAX West weekend.