This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need a game for the office

2»

Comments

• It varies depending on the language in which it was released, but if you want to be really super technical, the original French version said it was 2 to 80.

Don't believe me? Check it out yourself.
    Yeah Scott, it's on the box.
    See, I told them this at Anime Boston. They were adamant that I was reading the ages the game is good for.
    At PAX East he insisted one of the games I won didn't count cause there were 7 people. :P
  • Goldeneye: Source is good with 4-8 people on smaller maps.
  • None of these games that nubs can play. Need something more like Tetris that everyone can play.
  • edited September 2011
    http://www.tetrisfriends.com/games/index.php Supports up to 6 players at once. I don't think you need an account, just the link.

Edit; Arena is the one you want, the rest are all against ghosts/random people only.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • TF2 has some maps that work well with 3v3. But, TF2 aside...

Your best bet might be a Gamecube and Wario Ware. Mini tournaments.

Barring that, Rock of Ages. It's simple and quick to do a match, but only two players at a time. Outlaw works if two-player mini-matches are an option.
  • What about something like Worms, or Soldat?

Also if you want to go first person, wasn't there that FPS built off of the Minecraft engine?
  • SCORCHED EARTH!
  • edited September 2011
    SCORCHED EARTH!
    Can we get scorched earth to run well on modern Macs and PCs with LAN play?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • SCORCHED EARTH!
    Can we get scorched earth to run well on modern Macs and PCs with LAN play?
    No LAN play. But it's otherwise the perfect game.
  • Terraria is pretty easy to get into and can be a good casual game as well, and I think it runs on Macs and PCs alike. It's also good for any number of people, and can be co-op or versus as necessary.

Or what about something simple like one of those Scrabble clones out there on the interwebs?
  • It's sad that Geometry Wars 2 never made it to the PC, the first one is single player only.
  • I think it runs on Macs and PCs alike.
    It "works" on Mac, but without easy online; which shouldn't be a problem if they're LANing it up.
  • edited September 2011
    X-Pilot

- Incredibly easy to "get".
    - Very high skill cap.
    - The best networking code in history.
    - Works on everything.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • a1sa1s
    edited September 2011
    SCORCHED EARTH!
    No LAN play. But it's otherwise the perfect game.
    Scorched Earth 3D. I have not played this yet, but i has Mac support (and PC , duh. Also Linux), as well as LAN-paly (Online actually, but I think you can host a server on your LAN so that's the same thing.)
    Post edited by a1s on
  • erraria is pretty easy to get into and can be a good casual game as well, and I think it runs on Macs and PCs alike
    It is made in XNA so I have doubts it will run on macs.
  • erraria is pretty easy to get into and can be a good casual game as well, and I think it runs on Macs and PCs alike
    It is made in XNA so I have doubts it will run on macs.
    My firsthand experience confirms that it most certainly will not.
  • Scott was adamant that I was reading the ages the game is good for.
    That is some revisionist history, Rym. You BOTH were in agreement that I had read the ages, not the number of players. I remember the conversation well. You and Scott were trying to figure out if we (you) had any games that the whole assembled group could play. I said "Jungle Speed", Scott said "I'm pretty sure that's only four players", I said "It says on the box 2-15...", then you said "Are you sure that wasn't the ages the game is good for?"

I couldn't prove you wrong because I only had the bag, not the box.

(Interesting note: I'm reasonably certain the box says 2-15 players, the Official English Rules only specify 8. Still more than Scott was insisting, though)
  • edited September 2011
    Scorched Earth 3d! It's a little more then scorched earth, but It's a lot of fun and runs on anything.
    Post edited by Cramit on
  • Scott was adamant that I was reading the ages the game is good for.
    That is some revisionist history, Rym. You BOTH were in agreement that I had read the ages, not the number of players. I remember the conversation well. You and Scott were trying to figure out if we (you) had any games that the whole assembled group could play. I said "Jungle Speed", Scott said "I'm pretty sure that's only four players", I said "It says on the box 2-15...", then you said "Are you sure that wasn't the ages the game is good for?"

I couldn't prove you wrong because I only had the bag, not the box.

(Interesting note: I'm reasonably certain the box says 2-15 players, the Official English Rules only specify 8. Still more than Scott was insisting, though)
    The original printing with the wooden totem says 6 players. The newest box published by Asmodee has 2-10 on the cover. This game has been through so many damn revisions it's hard to keep track.

• Scorched Earth 3D. I have not played this yet
    I now have played it, and yes, you can run LAN games with it. Also be warned that it is in 3D, which is to say it now played on a surface and not on a line like regular SE was. This takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but actually adds to the fun.
  • Oh, I was dubious of your reading, but I also did not balk at playing with a big group. Scott protests that specific point unduly.
  • One of those "snake/tron" type games where you can have a bajillion players all playing at once. Can't remember the name of the one we used to play, but it used left/right + fire. Obviously you are trying to make people crash into a wall or your tail but pressing fire made a one shot block appear a little bit ahead of your snake as an added bit of fun.

I played a ton of these types on games on the amiga, everything from basic multi snake right up to versions that had multiple weapons/teleports/upgrades.
    Achtung Die Kurve may be a viable option for that. There's also the complex metagame of "how the fuck do you crowd 6 people around a computer". Give it a try, and understand that the game gets exponentially more fun with every player.

Also, Defcon has an office mode (a feature I wish more games would implement). Unfortunately, it costs money.