This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Shit-Talk of Your Day

edited March 2012 in Forum Game
I thought this forum could use a place for people to mention the stupid, revolutionary ideas that they (most likely) will never follow through with. This is not my shit-talk because I actually made it.

Critique, praise, steal, but do not bitch out people for not actually following through with it.

Earlier today my friend and I were joking about making a F2P team deathmatch game. Anyone who paid would be able to play as jacked up, Space Marine-esque, juggernauts, while the free players played as pathetic grunts, only able to face off against the payers by banding together in huddled masses. If the masses were able to kill a payer, one random player who contributed damage (possibly even someone from the same team!) would resurrect as a Marine for one life. Payers can also switch to grunt mode and pass their marine-y-ness to an ally momentarily.

Comments

• Kill all humans.

• edited March 2012
    Civil and revolutionary war is often tied into or related to strife and taxes.
    Let's call the next one the Tax War.
    Not a war against taxes. Not a war on taxes. A war about which taxation policy is superior!
    The final sales vs. the value added!
    The business interests vs. the consumers!
    The regressive vs. progressive!
    The gross receipts vs. revenue!
    Property vs. income!
    Taxpocalypse!
    Taxation Royale!
    Taxageddon!

The idea is just a setting, but I kinda envision a miniatures wargame with tactical accountant units.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Get caught up with all my backlogs this week during my final week at this job. :D
  • Civil and revolutionary war is often tied into or related to strife and taxes.
    Let's call the next one the Tax War.
    Not a war against taxes. Not a war on taxes. A war about which taxation policy is superior!
    The final sales vs. the value added!
    The business interests vs. the consumers!
    The regressive vs. progressive!
    The gross receipts vs. revenue!
    Property vs. income!
    Taxpocalypse!
    Taxation Royale!
    Taxageddon!

The idea is just a setting, but I kinda envision a miniatures wargame with tactical accountant units.
    Paradropped accountants armed with copies of Excel on thumb drives.
  • Finish that online iOS course so I can start selling iOS apps so I can pay for pilot lessons...
  • Finish that online iOS course so I can start selling iOS apps so I can pay for pilot lessons...
    We have a winner!
    We have a winner!
    I hope not... but I keep getting side-tracked. :P

It's worth checking with your local cadets and scouting movement, because AFAIK, both sometimes have Aviation sections, and by donating some of your time, you can get your license a lot cheaper. I'd have never been able to afford mine back in the day, otherwise.
    It's worth checking with your local cadets and scouting movement, because AFAIK, both sometimes have Aviation sections, and by donating some of your time, you can get your license a lot cheaper. I'd have never been able to afford mine back in the day, otherwise.
    I may be a bit old (35 going on 36) for some of that, unfortunately. The best I've been able to find is free ground school (just bring your own books).

Actually, long term, I'll probably be able to afford it outright on my salary and such. It's just that I have enough shorter-term expenses (house repairs, wife may want to go to grad school, etc.) that I have to put this on the back burner unless I get an additional source of income. :)
  • edited March 2012
    I'll stop calling idiots idiots.

EDIT, FUCK.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Late updating the comic and had to come clean about it. Damn mid terms....
  • I'm confident Scott will fix it at some point. I don't know what point, but some point.
    After PAX probably.
  • I'm going to do a bunch of things!

...after PAX, probably.
  • I'll assume that "after PAX", in the context of this thread, does not reference to the next upcoming PAX, but more of something like "after the last light of the last PAX has ceased to be, then it's time".

"After PAX" will come one day, but that day will be long long time away.
  • edited April 2012
    A persistent MMORPG that consists entirely of a REST API that other people can make requests to. You can play the game using your browser by making get requests and then viewing the response, or by writing code to manage the operations or interface. To move left you might specify site/rpg/username/sessionpassword/left, which would respond with success or fail. If you wanted to see your surroundings, you might have to call site/rpg/username/sessionpassword/look which would respond with all the objects, persons, and creatures in your current location. If you wanted to see more than the top-level description for any of those things you might have to specify /rpg/username/sessionpassword/look/{ObjectID} which would fail if the thing had moved out of the space. Or if you write code, you could build a simple client to handle inventory, looking, fighting, moving, and such.

Maybe not shit-talk. It's easy enough and I've done every individual component involved before.
  • edited April 2012
    Sounds like almost every MUD and browser-based MMO ever.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Organize a Game Jam not based on a theme or topic, but based on materials. For example, on the day of the event, an announcement is made telling designers they need to make a game using 12 dominos, a bunch of chess pawns, and a pack of blank flash cards. At the end of the event, suddenly you have a crazy variety of games that can be played using a seemingly random pile of pieces!

Eccentric rich person version: Have aspiring designers register beforehand, and then you mail out the components to them. I could see a big hubub occurring when the first package arrives at a lucky designer's doorstep.
  • edited April 2012
    Sounds like almost every MUD and browser-based MMO ever.
    Exactly. Just formatted to be really really easy for people to build interfaces or bots for. I have a friend that is really into AI development that actually wants to go forward with this a bit. Also reminds me of the AI Ants challenge thing. Except persistent, with RPG stuff, and massively multiplayer.
  • edited April 2012
    Shit-Talk Successfully Averted.
    Introducing the WiCuBoBS (Wireless Cueing Box Based System)
    Pronounced: Why queue, Bobs?

Edit: Someone I showed the video to says I look like this awesome gent.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I guess this qualifies as a shit-talk and a fail:

The meadery that was going to sell us 110 gallons for $400? Yeah, they don't have a license to sell alcohol with anyone.

I thought one of their other permits had lapsed, but nope - they don't even have a basic license with the TTB.

So there will be no epic journey across state lines to purchase large quantities of mead.
  • Aww... It was not your shit talk; T'was the meadery's.
  • "Chess Game" that consists of boards set up so that there is exactly one move that will result in a stalemate or checkmate. The game is played in exactly two clicks, clicking on the correct piece, and clicking on the space that piece must move to for the desired result.
  • Not exactly the same but you should definitely check out Solitaire Chess by ThinkFun, available in both physical game and iOS app form. Basically, you get a 4x4 chess board with a few pieces sprinkled on it. Your goal is to have the pieces eliminate each other, leaving only 1, in the shortest number of moves possible. Addictive.
  • Might be interesting. I'm not a huge chess person, that idea just came up in a conversation about interview questions and someone said they usually asked candidates "how they would build a chess game" and I immediately thought of how I could simplify it down to something I can write as a one-click "game".
  • I'm thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi and using a Gameboy as the case. This may or may not be shit-talk.
  • Working on converting Marvel Heroic Roleplaying into a kinda Super Robot Wars style RPG.
  • edited June 2012
    Working on converting Marvel Heroic Roleplaying into a kinda Super Robot Wars style RPG.
    You're doing it wrong!
    1) You're supposed to work on it later, not now.
    2) You didn't even imply you were actually going to finish!

Proper shit-talk would be more like "I am going to convert ..."
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Yeah, but I couldn't think of a good thread to post this in, and I wasn't far enough along to make a thread about it.
  • There's a non-shit talk of your day thread burried somewhere in the depths of the forum.