This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Yay for new games!

Also picked up this sweet add-on to my drum kit that I'm pretty excited to use this weekend.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • double bass, double bass, double bass.
  • I thought that was some kind of Medieval torture instrument for a second there.

Today I have spent exactly zero money (which is weird for me in NYC), but I recently bought copies of Carcassonne (lost my old set), Puerto Rico, and Engage.
  • I thought that was some kind of Medieval torture instrument for a second there.
    Applied in the right way, it very well could be.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    Just bought an anime film from Discotek that is one of my more recent favorites: Sirius no Densetsu. It is a family film that is essentially anime version of Romeo and Juliet but in a fantasy setting. Said setting a lot of imagination, so many beautiful images, and a story that doesn't talk down to kids or assume they are stupid; no punches are held which is rather refreshing in this day and age. It does have a few flaws in terms of some confusing plot points, but I'm very forgiving of that because what I liked about it made up for it.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Warhammer 40K Dark Vengeance Limited Edition. Pictures? Sure!

And the reason why it is Limited Edition:

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    You can say that again.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about GW further trading away customizability for greater detail in their plastics, but dang those new models are slick.
  • I bought two packs of screw terminals from Radio Shack. They have changed my life when it comes to making stuff with my arduino.
  • edited September 2012
    Recently got a gigantic tax refund after submitting a few years of back tax forms. And what do you do with extra moneys (aside from putting aside a certain amount of it for school)? BUY ALL THE THINGS.

The advantage and disadvantage of working in a nerd store is the sheer amount of things I want that are right there for the buying. Hopefully my willpower is better once money is back down to a more normal level. T_T At least most of this shit was nicely discounted.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • You are awesome Eryn. That is an incredible collection and you have great taste.
  • New 52 Batwoman! I loved the first few issues, but had to drop it for fiscal reasons. Did it stay good?
  • I splurged a bit and bought the Hellboy Library Edition Volume 5, from Dark Horse, which just looks gorgeous and is the biggest one yet. I also bought the Secret Warriors Omnibus from Marvel comics because I'd heard good things and I love Jonathan Hickman.
  • I splurged a bit and bought the Hellboy Library Edition Volume 5, from Dark Horse, which just looks gorgeous and is the biggest one yet. I also bought the Secret Warriors Omnibus from Marvel comics because I'd heard good things and I love Jonathan Hickman.
    I got that hellboy in the mail while I was away. It's the biggest yet. I have all 5. I've read maybe 2 or 3.
    I got that hellboy in the mail while I was away. It's the biggest yet. I have all 5. I've read maybe 2 or 3.
    I have all five as well. I'm looking forward to reading the newest one. I'm wondering if they're going to do something similar with the BPRD and other "Mignola-verse" comics like Abe Sapien or Lobster Johnson, because the format is just amazing and seeing the artwork blown up like that is gorgeous. The somewhat new Plague of Frogs hardcovers are cool, but I'd love to get Library Editions of Mignola's other works as well.
    I have all five as well. I'm looking forward to reading the newest one. I'm wondering if they're going to do something similar with the BPRD and other "Mignola-verse" comics like Abe Sapien or Lobster Johnson, because the format is just amazing and seeing the artwork blown up like that is gorgeous. The somewhat new Plague of Frogs hardcovers are cool, but I'd love to get Library Editions of Mignola's other works as well.
    I'm not going to be getting library editions of the other books unless I win a lottery or something.
  • edited September 2012
    Upgraded 3DS to the 3DS XL. Also bought the New Super Mario Bros 2 to do some co-op.

The transfer of all my purchases and accounts from 3DS > 3DS XL was pretty easy. Took about 1/2 hour and everything transferred including all that Mii Plaza stuff with hats!

I know I didn't need this, but I wanted it, and the 3DS was free to me anyways, so it was only $100 from trade-in credit. Plus that screen size difference is awesome.

If anyone else plans on doing this, you basically have to buy the 3DS XL at full price, take it home or to a place with a wi-fi connection and transfer everything over. After that bring everything back to Gamestop and return the 3DS XL then trade in the 3DS and repurchase the 3DS XL.

It's a bit weird, but it works out.

Also some important things to note for people who own 3DSs, you can only transfer accounts from 3DS to 3DS up to 5 times. Also after you make a transfer, you can't do any additional transfers for 7 days. Nintendo is really trying to make sure people don't game the system.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Man, Ro is buying all the things lately.
  • I also paid off most of my credit cards. :3

Also, hopefully I'll be posting here tomorrow for my big purchase!
  • You must have taken all my moneys. I'm not buying any of the things since I went to PAX and bought a new computer. Saving for Australia 2013.
  • Well other than getting a new shelving unit to replace my current entertainment center, that's pretty much my major expenses for a long time.

I also bought my mother an iPad a week ago, along with Smart Case, App store gift card, stylus, and all that stuff. Also had to teach her how to use her iPad and install iTunes on her computer.

I also bought this 360 controller for my special purchase. It's super shiny.

I've been splurging on electronics lately. I'm definitely done for now, hopefully.
  • Well other than getting a new shelving unit to replace my current entertainment center, that's pretty much my major expenses for a long time.

I also bought my mother an iPad a week ago, along with Smart Case, App store gift card, stylus, and all that stuff. Also had to teach her how to use her iPad and install iTunes on her computer.

I also bought this 360 controller for my special purchase. It's super shiny.

I've been splurging on electronics lately. I'm definitely done for now, hopefully.
    Oh, that's the one with the fancy rotating numpad. Let me know if it's better than the old one.
  • Look what I picked up, for a while 25 cents.

I also picked up an NES controller with one of those Nintendo Power stickers. A little beat up but eh, it was like a dollar.
  • Ro, a word of warning. That 360 controller is pretty good and the d-pad is much better than reqular controller's on usability but the d-pad is super weak. It broke on me after few months of use and googling the issue told me that I wasn't alone. Luckily I was able to fix it with glue, but still.
  • edited September 2012
    Just bought a second 50 inch plasma TV, because you know, I truly needed it. No more tube TVs in the house! (also damn 600 bucks for 1080p plasma at Costco)

and a 2011 Ford Fusion, to replace the totaled 2005 Toyota Corolla.

Also bought two tickets to a 7 day Caribbean Cruise in March with a group of friends gonna be awesome!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Oh, I guess I'm going to buy an iPhone 5. I guess it's possible there could be something awful in the announcement that makes me not buy it, but I doubt it.
  • edited September 2012
    Ro, a word of warning. That 360 controller is pretty good and the d-pad is much better than reqular controller's on usability but the d-pad is super weak. It broke on me after few months of use and googling the issue told me that I wasn't alone. Luckily I was able to fix it with glue, but still.
    That's disturbing to hear. How did it break exactly?
    Oh, I guess I'm going to buy an iPhone 5. I guess it's possible there could be something awful in the announcement that makes me not buy it, but I doubt it.
    Oh mans, I forgot about that too. ^^;;

Relevant: http://thedoghousediaries.com/4552

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • That's disturbing to hear. How did it break exactly?
    When in it's popped out position the + shaped part rests on top of a stick in the middle of the d-pad and is in no other way connected to the rest of the d-pad. While playing, not very d-pad heavy game, I'd like to note, the + shaped part broke and fell off. I was left with d-pad that has little stick in the middle and + shaped hole. Also I just noticed that my fix left it so that I can't turn it to it's flat position anymore, but doesn't matter to me, there is no reason ever to use the d-pad on that position.

Also, because I'm bad at explaining things, I did a little google search and found this. Exactly the same thing happened to me. Only difference was the shape of the hole and even that is pretty close.

• Ever since I got my Galaxy Note I can't even conceive of dealing with a tiny iPhone again. I tried helping my wife with hers the other day and I had already forgotten how to navigate the thing. It's even sweeter now with ICS installed.