This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How much would you pay for this forum?

Comments

• Well Vanilla hosting doesn't even fit your requirement 1 so it doesn't seem like the way to go.
    There is no way to go. Going to have to sacrifice something.
  • It looks like moot.it would fit the bill except for the data import. According to their update section importing is about 2 months away. I like how it looks for mobile it's very clean and minimal.
    https://moot.it/forum/
  • What is your main problem with vbulletin?
    It's a piece of shit, looks like shit, and smells like shit.
    The look can be customized.

The current version has a compete CMS package tossed in and it is more of a social network suite now.

• I don't comment too often, but I'd be in for $1/month.

Have you considered using something like subbable to get a better idea who/how much people would pay?
  • Subbable seems pretty cool, though I don't know if it's a good fit here.
  • Subbable seems pretty cool, though I don't know if it's a good fit here.
    I tend not to trust any startups like that.
  • Understandable, though there's fairly good evidence of it being a safe bet.
  • I'd pay 5 dollars a month, but only if there was proper search. Also some kind of way to display all my posts in a single topic, in order, without anyone else's comments in between, all on one huge page. That would be awesome.
  • edited September 2013
    I'd pay 5 dollars a month, but only if there was proper search. Also some kind of way to display all my posts in a single topic, in order, without anyone else's comments in between, all on one huge page. That would be awesome.
    Profile > Comments, or is that not what you mean?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That only shows 30 at a time.
  • I'd pay 5 dollars a month, but only if there was proper search. Also some kind of way to display all my posts in a single topic, in order, without anyone else's comments in between, all on one huge page. That would be awesome.
    Not really. I want to see ALL the comments by me in a SINGLE thread displayed in a single page without anything else in between. Something more like this. I've put a lot of data into this forum in many different threads, and I'd love a way to get all that data out easily. I have reviews of 99% of the movies I've watched in the last five years or so. That is something for which I'd gladly pay good money.
  • Scraping the site is NOT the way to get your data out.
  • I only did that once, as an experiment.
    Not really. I want to see ALL the comments by me in a SINGLE thread displayed in a single page without anything else in between. Something more like this. I've put a lot of data into this forum in many different threads, and I'd love a way to get all that data out easily. I have reviews of 99% of the movies I've watched in the last five years or so. That is something for which I'd gladly pay good money.
    Ravelry has awesome forums that can do this. It is incredibly useful. (You can also use it to look for all comments in a thread by another author, or search in just one thread, or view only posts with images, etc etc etc.)

• Ravelry is well put together in general. Their pattern search is super useful and user friendly.
  • They also have a team of coders and UI developers, and have been actively developing the site for years. So nobody is saying you have to be like that, Scott. ;)
  • Well Vanilla hosting doesn't even fit your requirement 1 so it doesn't seem like the way to go.
    There is no way to go. Going to have to sacrifice something.
    I suggest a good, strong calf.
  • edited September 2013
    There are many updates to Vanilla that we simply do not have.
    Why?
    Maybe some small and tasteful flair?
    Please, no. But I understand that having a visible sign of "Second Row Crew" status may go a long way toward driving interest in it, so maybe it's necessary.
    I could also create a members only thread category, but I like to keep our content on the open web for all the lurkers, as they are actually the largest audience. Thoughts?
    I like this idea. I also agree (easy for me to say, I know) that keeping Geeknights open is the way to go. One question: how many unique posters do you get a day? I'm speculating, but I would guess people not motivated enough to register aren't going to be chipping in too many dollars to fix the forum.

Also, you trashed like 4 of your rules upgrading from vanilla 1 to 2.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited September 2013
    I'd definitely pay $5 a month for improved search.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I'd be willing to pitch in but I feel like there must be a better solution.
    ^^^
  • I'd throw in 15 bucks a year.
  • I'd pitch in $5 a month.
  • edited September 2013
    I'd be willing to pitch in but I feel like there must be a better solution.
    ^^^
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited September 2013
    Having to pay to get in would definitely make the barrier to entry more like the Ivory tower we'd all like to think this forum is, but I worry about the reduction of new people such a system would create. As long as it's optional, I'd be down for it. I'd happily kick in $1 a month.

Additionally, perhaps, rather than a subscription, the forum could hold bi-annual pledge drives? For those of us with less than stable incomes, it may prove easier to kick in $6 twice a year than $1 every month. Perhaps those who donate could get interesting perks? Such as the ability to edit thread names after the post editing time has passed?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • The problem with most perk ideas is that I find it hard to approve of giving them to some people and not others.
  • They are incentives. If everyone got them then they wouldn't work as incentives.
  • I understand that.

It's simply that it bothers me to intentionally deny some people useful functionality for the purposes of a perk.

If it's not an issue of functionality, it doesn't really bother me, though; e.g. simply receiving a bit of flair seems OK.
  • I'd pay some amount of money for this place. Def more than $1/month, but not much more.
  • Maybe we should do a print run of Tshirts. It's been a while. I can figure out, at current prices, how many shirts we'd have to sell to cover a year or two of upgraded forum.

With Tshirts, we can also Kickstart it.
  • You should charge for the podcast and subsidise the forum.

I couldn't say that with a straight face. :p

I'd probably end up drifting away. I tend to skirt the edges of several communities rather than get deeply involved with one.