This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Pokemon Go: Initial Thoughts

Tonight on GeekNights, we make our triumphant (albeit coughing) return from running the panels department at ConnectiCon and catching the plague to talk about Pokemon Go!. Lots of updates to come as we ramp production back up, including on the GeekNights Patreon! In the news, Videoball is finally out, and Overwatch had a substantial update that generated a lot of heated discussion.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• It does seem like the Rock Paper Scissors aspect of regular Pokemon is still present in this game. So you can get away with not being the stronger CP.
  • edited July 2016
    Also I made a post On Giant Bomb extending the search for the earliest example of grinding. Might be fruitless but why not.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • So watching that millstone video got me thinking. How come there aren't little bits of rock-dust in the flour? Or are there?
  • Apreche said:

So watching that millstone video got me thinking. How come there aren't little bits of rock-dust in the flour? Or are there?

Depends on the rock. Either yes, or no because the rock is hard compared to the flour.

• Rym said:

Apreche said:

So watching that millstone video got me thinking. How come there aren't little bits of rock-dust in the flour? Or are there?

Depends on the rock. Either yes, or no because the rock is hard compared to the flour.

The rock is grinding against the other rock, regardless of the flour's hardness.
  • I would disagree on Rym stating you can just play on your own and their is no collaboration between members of the same team.

In regards to defending a gym your team has already taken over, same members of the team can train their Pokemon there to build up the level of that gym with prestige points so you can put in more Pokemon there. With the more Pokemon you have in there, it makes it more difficult to defeat that gym. Opponents will have to take down the prestige level of that gym to take it over.

I've seen level 8/9 gyms that haven't changed for days. It takes a lot of collaboration to get it that high and to also take it down.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2016
    That gym coordination is extremely minimal and requires no real-time collaboration like the portal connections in Ingress did. It's just grind out CPs and hours to make the number go up on the gym.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • (Haven't listened to the episode yet, but) - I think you both have a point. Gyms are pure grinding, but coordination is a big component, because there is only so much you can do yourself.

Taking down a Pokemon Gym is MUCH easier than taking down an Ingress portal. First, there's three teams, so it's always two against one. Gyms are much less likely to become entrenched for that simple reason. Second is the fact that you get six Pokemon vs the gym's team, but even beating one of the gym's team members lowers the prestige (albeit slowly). This means any one person given enough time and items can sit there and grind down medium to medium-high level gyms. Completely by themselves if they want to!

However, building up your own gym is much more difficult and slow as a 1 pokemon vs the whole team process. Congrats, you ground down 3 medium level gyms and created 3 Level 1 gyms of your team's color. Even the weakest player can take down your Level 1 now. You need teammates to help boost your gym or it is pointless.

I've also heard that multiple people can simultaneously battle a gym. Not sure how this works, but if it lets you KO the whole gym team, it adds/removes prestige much much faster. This would mean that having friends on-site removes most of the gym grind.

I initially thought I wouldn't be interested in gyms, because simply walking around collecting them all is a nice little activity. However, owning a spot in a gym in Pokemon is much better than owning an Ingress portal. You can hit the "collect" button in the shop every 21 hours, and you are granted in-game currency (gold) and stardust. If you still hold the gym(s) 21 hours later, hit that button again and keep collecting.

I haven't gone out of my way to do gyms because that seems more of a "stand around tapping the phone grind" than "walk around and have fun grind," but I have had come across easy pickings at times. I've collected up to 5 gyms at once. For the record, it popped out 60 gold and a few thousand stardust.
  • You guys really didn't comment about the social aspects of the game where people are meeting other people. Late night Pokemon catching/gym battlings. Lots of fun and awesome social stuff going on because of this game.

I have way too many stories already and it's all been awesome so far. Have yet to meet any shitlords or that guys.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

The rock is grinding against the other rock, regardless of the flour's hardness.
    Yes! In fact, historically there was so much stone dust in bread that it wore down teeth over time. Evidence of this can be found on the teeth of skeletons, particularly from the medieval period.

• There's weird stuff going in your mouth all the time. Think of all the dust in the air that just floats into your mouth and gets caught in your saliva every day. Stone dust seems pretty par for the course.
  • It's different if it's mixed with something you're chewing though.
  • edited July 2016
    Apreche said:

Rym said:

Apreche said:

Rym is right, but for the wrong reason, at least with the large mills, and modern-made hand mills/quern-stones - the stones don't actually touch very much, if at all. Ideally, if the equipment is well maintained and the stones regularly re-dressed, they don't touch at all - they grind with a scissor action. The grind face of the runner and bedstone have a pattern of grooves carved into them called furrows and lands, with the face of one stone being an exact mirror of the other. The stones were harder than the grain, so while they wore, it was very little, and you'd not get much if any grit in your flour, considering how much flour was produced as opposed to stone-dust.

While Grey is correct about tooth wear in the middle ages - something like 80% of people had evidence of serious wear to the teeth - the idea that it was purely milling dust that caused it has somewhat fallen by the wayside as dental anthropology has become a more developed field, and the causes are generally considered more complex. I know a guy in Bradford who happens to be an Archeologist with some expertise in Middle-age England, I might shoot him a message and see what the current thinking is.
    Rochelle said:

I have way too many stories already and it's all been awesome so far. Have yet to meet any shitlords or that guys.

My sister ran into a few, but it only took a few trips out walking with her wearing the leather jacket, big boots, and a suitable glower to nip that shit in the bud right quick. They don't really bother her anymore.
    Post edited by Churba on