This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The... Yo-Yo is a lie?

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
Hehe, so I was in a yoyo competition a couple of weeks ago, and for one of my performances I used the Portal ending music.
Here's the vid:
Ue2mhl5yO0E

Hope you like it :)

Comments

edited December 2007
    Song does not fit. At all. It's unrelated and not that good for background music. That said, nice yo-yo skills, though a yo-yo imo is not one of those lousy things that spins down, stays and then after x minutes has to be yanked back up. Yo-yo goes down, and comes back immediately. Awesome tricks in that short time period are way more awesome and require way more skill and will form a very cool continuous motion, unlike the static throw the spun down yo-yo around.

EDIT: Let me also add this, if you had yo-yoed on the music it would've been awesome, true, you start a few times on specific noticeable moments, but nothing major and awesomely skilled timed tricks are done.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited December 2007
    Dude, you need to pull some more tricks and stuff. Jazz it up a bit for the kids.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited December 2007
    Well, I used the music more as a joke seeing as this is by no means my best style :)

Edit: Also, this is a lot harder than it looks. Especially on stage. Maybe you should give it a try :)
    Post edited by MagL33To on
    edited December 2007
    Well, I used the music more as a joke seeing as this is by no means my best style :)

Edit: Also, this is a lot harder than it looks. Especially on stage. Maybe you should give it a try :)
    I know it's hard, hence I said you had nice skills. I just added what I personally would find more awesome than your performance. Ok?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2007
    Not on the music, but the tricks are still awesome! I wish you posted your videos here more often, the stuff in your YouTube channel is pretty damn cool.

[Edit] His Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger video is much, much more on the beat, even though he messed up quite a few more times.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited December 2007
    Aaagh! Not that one! I hate that one -.-

Oh, and nineless. I was being serious. You obviously know what makes a good performance, and a lot of yoyoers at the moment do not. It'd be cool to see more actual good performances than just skilled ones.
    I did do a lot better in my other freestyle, but unfortunately none of the people filming have uploaded all the videos yet...
    Post edited by MagL33To on
  • I read 'Yo-yo' and immediately thought "So Yo-yo Ma really hasn't been playing all these years?"

When it comes to yo-yos my dexterity is like that of a four year old so this is pretty cool for me to watch. Do you sometimes use more than one yoyo?
  • edited December 2007
    I'm a dick who criticizes people without actually being able to do it myself.
    Why, Nineless, that's a mean thing to say!

Cool yo-yo stuff Mag. Best I could ever so was rocking the cradle for a half-second.
    Post edited by Sparkybuzzed on
  • Hehe thanks Sparky, but it really wasn't a great performance, so it's ok.

Tripwire, there are 2 different styles of 2 handed play in modern yoyoing (neither of which I do).
    2A, which is probably the most visually impressive and the hardest to master:

and 3A, which can get you some particularly ugly knots if you do it wrong lol:

These vids are of the current world champions.
  • Why, Nineless, that's a mean thing to say!
    I don't see how it's a mean thing to give constructive criticism with personal preference. That way people can understand the critique better. I personally think it's more mean to call someone a dick in sickly green font. And saying "But it's meant as tongue-in-cheek, hence the green." is the same as people saying that "Sherry Shepherd is a comic". Also, I have never seen anyone except you, Sparkybuzzed, and Jason use green font on the entire internets. The same goes for people who use the ":P" smiley to 'say' "I'm kidding." Use text to tell what the hell you mean!

As for the two-handed vids, also nice skills. I preferred the second one though, 3A, the guy picked a song and followed it nicely, started slow, then a bit more energetic, then a bit slow again. He went of track a bit before the last 10 seconds, but all around very nice. 2A, energetic, also nice skills, but the guy only showed his yo-yo skills and barely any choreographic.

I mean, these vids are just like figure skating, you do tricks with background music. If you can do 10 pirouettes in one leap, nice, if you can't time that amazing jump, screw you, you can do the nice tricks, but have no feel for the whole picture.