This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080915 - IPv6

edited September 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we talk all about IPv6, even though we will probably never see it implemented. In the news, Apple tries to put DRM in sneakers, and some brave souls fight to bring us over the air podcasts!

Scott's Thing - Robot Spyplane Carries Medicine
Rym's Thing - Logan's Run vs. Running Man

Comments

• Finally, I've been waiting for this (and Zombies: part 3) for ages! Thanks!
  • This episode put me to sleep.
  • The file's not coming through on iTunes yet. Will direct download for now.
  • Hmm.. doesn't seem to have come up in the RSS feed yet either.
  • Heh, works for me.
  • A story with Thanos is the backup in Logan's Run #6. The main story in Logan's Run #6 has no tie-in to the Marvel U (at least as far as I can Tell). Maybe the Annihilation Classic Hardcover only reprints the backup?
  • OMG I have the podcasting program! I am getting podcasts over the air without iTunes! It has happened!
  • The "billions of IP devices per cubic yard" reminds me of Vernor Vinge's Deepness In The Sky and the Localizer concept.
  • This episode put me to sleep.
    You sir do not have a technology geeks heart. This was an awesome show, from the Apple bashing, the call to arms, to a nice explanation of IPv6
    Finally, I've been waiting for this (and Zombies: part 3) for ages! Thanks!
    Pretty please?
  • OMG I have the podcasting program! I am getting podcasts over the air without iTunes! It has happened!
    Woo! Now if only I had an iPhone.
  • If this functionality existed without some dodgy hack I'd probably get an iPhone.
  • edited September 2008
    You guys are dicks. I do in part agree with you with the shortcomings of Apple technology, but it's a hell of a lot better than the other crap that is out there; (I'm looking at you windows).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2008
    You sir do not have a technology geeks heart.
    You are correct.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • About the wireless sync rant, the Zune can do wireless sync, but it seems limited to your computer. I don't have a Zune or similar device myself, so I can't really say much about it, but perhaps the Zune wireless sync help or this year old article on it (with video) can.

Enjoyed the cast, thanks.
  • Zune can do wireless sync, but it seems limited to your computer.
    Thus entirely defeating the purpose and remaining useless.
  • edited September 2008
    Zune can do wireless sync, but it seems limited to your computer.
    Thus entirely defeating the purpose and remaining useless.
    Yeah, this is pretty useless. However, I'm pretty sure you can buy things out of the Zune marketplace from anywhere with a wireless connection. I know even with my computer off I can use my wireless connection to browse and download off of the marketplace. Also, the Zune software seems just as good, at least to me, at aggregating podcasts as iTunes is. I think Microsoft is working in the right direction, and I really don't think it will be long before we see wireless podcast syncing from any WAP.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • However, I'm pretty sure you can buy things out of the Zune marketplace from anywhere with a wireless connection.
    As you can do with the iPhone. The discussion is about podcast downloads on demand on the go.
  • However, I'm pretty sure you can buy things out of the Zune marketplace from anywhere with a wireless connection.
    As you can do with the iPhone. The discussion is about podcast downloads on demand on the go.
    I wasn't aware that you could do that on an iPhone, as I only own a Zune. Also, I was just trying to make the point that the connection is already there, so it's ridiculous that you can't do this already, but with this new knowledge, I guess I can see that this is the reason everyone is pissed off that it isn't possible.
  • I'm not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but with quite a few Nokia phones you can download podcasts over Wifi/ 3G.
  • The problem is that a Nokia phone is a terrible audio player. Sure, it can do it, but it doesn't do it well. Seriously? Nokia N95 as a primary portable media playing device? Give me a break. Sure, it's a good phone, and it can do a lot of things, but on a portable device, user interface is key. If the user interface for a feature isn't amazing, you might as well not have the feature.

Look at something like the Nokia N810. The Nokia N810 is a portable device that runs Linux, straight up. It's absolutely amazing. If it had a cellphone in it, I might have bought it. However, the user interface on it is horrendous. Sure, it can play mp3s, and subscribe to podcasts, and the whole thing. However, it's a pain to do it. It's not worth the trouble.

The iPhone sucks. Yes, we all know. I knew how it would suck before I bought it. The thing is, when you take user interface into account, it actually has more features than anything else out there. And just because I buy the iPhone, and accept that it has shortcomings, doesn't mean I'm not going to fight the man.
  • For me as a student buying a cheap Nokia E51 is a really cheap solution. ^^
  • As a disclaimer, I myself listened to this episode on a PSP for which I use to listen to every podcast I want to listen to. At any rate i've never used my ipod for podcasts as it seems like a whole lot more work to actually sync it and the like, but thats just me. In regards to why Apple seems smitten against podcasts working with the iPhone, I personally think it might be something as naive as their having a device in the works (like a e-reader or something) that they will also market to have podcatching and make that as a selling point. Not that I think this theory is all that plausible, but its the only one I could come up with that didn't make them out to be entirely evil.
  • I just discovered something. Let's say I take my iPhone and go to frontrowcrew.com in Safari. If I click on the link to an mp3, it downloads it and plays it within QuickTime within Safari. I can't save it for later, but I can listen to it.

So anyone who says that the reason they deny the podcast application for bandwidth reasons is wrong.
  • I was going to mention that the s60v3 Nokias have a downloadable podcasting app, but that's been said. I agree.. Nokia's music player is not good. I am hoping someone will make a good app for Google Android. Also, I went to a NYC S60 event on Wednesday, they announced a coding contest like the google one. I am expecting mobile innovation and openness soon.
  • I just discovered something. Let's say I take my iPhone and go to frontrowcrew.com in Safari. If I click on the link to an mp3, it downloads it and plays it within QuickTime within Safari. I can't save it for later, but I can listen to it.

So anyone who says that the reason they deny the podcast application for bandwidth reasons is wrong.
    Yeah, every now and then I listen to an episode on my Treo when I forget my Zune at home. Bandwidth has never been an issue.
  • A story with Thanos is the backup inLogan's Run #6. The main story in Logan's Run #6 has no tie-in to the Marvel U (at least as far as I can Tell). Maybe the Annihilation Classic Hardcover only reprints the backup?
    Just listened to this episode..

This story is, in fact, the first SOLO Thanos story. It is only about 6 or 8 pages, and is a pretty simple Drax the Destroyer vs. Thanos story. I believe it may also be Thanos's second appearance, his first being Iron Man 55, but I am not sure about that.

I had this issue, but recently gave it to a friend of mine who is a huge Thanos fan.
  • When Scrym mentioned conspiracy theory, I immediately thought of crab people from South Park.
  • It's IPv6 test day, are you ready?

I'm not, my ISP says they're fully IPv6 ready. I now have a task for next weekend, figure out why I haz no IPv6.