This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Happened to Programming?

RymRym
edited March 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we wonder why programming just isn't fun anymore (at least for us). In the all-important news, nothing happened, and Windows Seven phone gets Netflix.

Comments

• I haven't listened to the show yet, but we are starting some elementary programming in Qbasic in my computer class and it's kinda fun. Kinda.
  • Offal is the word Scott was looking for, on the PRO acronym.

You in New York at least have a sensible time zone for your location; I live in Indiana, where our Illustrious Governor, Mitch Daniels, after mandating that we adopt DST, then promoted to the various county legislatures that we go to Eastern Time, in order to improve compatibility with New York.

In New York, sunrise occurs between 6 and 7 in the winter, and between 5 and 7 in the summer, under DST. (see the graph in the second section.)
    The same happens in Chicago.
    In Indiana, sunrise occurs between 6 and 8 in the summer, under DST. In the winter, sunrise ranges from 7 to 8.
    The upshot is that in winter, If I leave for work at 730, my car and the roads have had optimally 30 minutes to defrost/de-ice before I have to use them. Before that, I'm waking in complete darkness. Solution: shift working hours to 9-6.

There's more detail here.
  • edited March 2010
    Rym: "I wanna make a gold rabbit!"
    Also, to contribute more to the thread I found a more extensive interview. The translation isn't great but it's still worth a read.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited March 2010
    In the show you were talking about "pi game" or "pie game" or something and I remember you talking about it before but I couldn't find it in Google. Do you have a link or at least the correct spelling? Thanks!

edit: nevermind. py as in python ... duh. http://www.pygame.org/wiki/about
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • Are we going to end up with future generations of programmers who don't understand the base architecture of the system's they are creating and only understand how to string the black boxes together?

I think of it like a translator who might be able to translate another language with 100 percent accuracy, but can't tell you how the language's rules of grammar or structure work.

I know that when I took basic programing it was the last year they were offering C, I don't know what they were moving to after that.
  • edited April 2010
    In response to Scott requesting trolololo mash-up/remix.

Post edited by Alan on
  • edited April 2010
    I personally prefer these:

Post edited by Pegu on