This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20111215 How We Do the Show with Rym

edited December 2011 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, it's just Rym talking about how we do the show, which currently involves a Shure Beta 58A, a Shure Beta 87A, 2xShure SM57s, a XENYX 1832, a Samson Scom Stereo Compressor/Expander, 2 Behringer U-Control USB soundcards, a Presonus Firestudio Mobile, a Marantz pmd660, and Adobe Audition 3.0. Mostly, this is a test of how well Rym can talk for twenty minutes nonstop.

http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20111215/how-we-do-the-show-with-rym/

Comments

• Rym, the Things of the Day bumper plays over your voice somewhere in the middle of this episode. Right before you start talking about how you never actually edit GeekNights.
  • Maybe that's just an easter egg :-p
  • I like to think it was a reward for listening all the way through.
  • I thought it were supposed to be an example of two people talking over each other, which he was speaking about at the time?
  • Rym:

I've got a Firestudio Mobile and an SM57 (per your recommendation long long ago). From your experience, does using a hardware compressor produce better sound than (since we both use Audition 3) the multi-band compressor effect? I ask because I use the multi-band compressor on pretty much everything I record to accentuate the "pleasant" frequencies in my voice and minimize the "unpleasant" ones. Is it worth buying an upgrade or is this a case of "if it works for you, why muck about"?