This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Those Anime Badasses

edited July 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the Boba Fett, as presented in various shows. That secondary character, such a badass, that everyone loves to love. King Kazma, Bunta, Professor Fujisawa: you know the one. Mu La Flaga, Roy Fokker, Hughes. Aramaki. Why does everybody love Boba Fett? In the news, Naoko Takeuchi (the creator of Sailor Moon) consented to her first interview in over a decade, and Image Comics takes a big step into digital.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• I'd suck those vowels any day, but I would rather get an erection instead.

• edited July 2013
    I have beaten your Brick [Brick Smash] Smash with a time of 3:47 and 7 balls in play at the end.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • I beat it with 2:00 right after the show.

I didn't realize that you could safely lose balls in the yo dawg bricks the first time I played, so I thus played suboptimally.
  • New record 3:00 with 9 balls, not sure if the speed run is more of a score or the number of balls you have at the end, or a combination thereof.
  • 2:17, 3 balls. I focused on speed instead of balls.

There's a "that's what she said" joke somewhere in there.
  • 1:49 and 13 balls is the new personal record.
  • I had 11 balls with my 2:00.
  • Second time beating it, got 1:51 with 16 balls. Once you really get a bunch, the cascade effect is very quick.
  • Why does everybody love...
    Because they make the impossible possible?
  • edited July 2013
    1:38 and 13 so far. Feels a bit down to chance at the end. Really good to get a ball or two stuck on top of the bricks.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • 2:40, 21 balls. The plan to do it quickly didn't work, but it certainly resulted in a lot of balls!
  • edited July 2013
    I hope the other major publishers will follow Image, because iTunes is taking a 30% cut and Comixology is taking up to a 50% cut. Also, Image will never drop sorta-successful titles because their model is being paid a fee up front by the creators to publish. Personally I do pay for digital comics right now, but I view it as a fee to keep series I like going without piling up crap in my house. $3-4 per issue isn't that bad in an era of $10 movies. I read the pirated versions because you can get a better interface.

I don't know if Boba Fett really fits the badass archetype you're talking about. I think I mostly liked him because he seemed completely unconcerned with the larger conflict and had some unique tech. That plus the fact that he never takes his mask off.

1:37 and 32.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • RymRym
    edited July 2013

This was the third time I've ever played.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I got a 1:27 and 24, but not in the same run.
  • 1:49 and 48 in one. It seems I can either go for time or for numbers.
  • edited July 2013
    So this happened
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • edited July 2013
    To the list of good/decent current series at Image, I would add Fatale, East of West, Mara, Bedlam, Thief of Thieves, Revival, and Manhattan Projects. Also some promising first issues like Satellite Sam, Lazarus, The Bounce, and maybe Jupiter's Legacy if you like Mark Millar. Not all of those are the greatest ever, but they are all original, mostly non-underwear-pervert content made with some level of intelligence in the writing and quality in the art. Point being that if there was a cheap subscription to Image where you could get all their comics carte blanche, you could find a lot of ongoing series to read, easy.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • To the list of good/decent current series at Image, I would add Fatale, East of West, Mara, Bedlam, Thief of Thieves, Revival, and Manhattan Projects. Also some promising first issues like Satellite Sam, Lazarus, The Bounce, and maybe Jupiter's Legacy if you like Mark Millar. Not all of those are the greatest ever, but they are all original, mostly non-underwear-pervert content made with some level of intelligence in the writing and quality in the art. Point being that if there was a cheap subscription to Image where you could get all their comics carte blanche, you could find a lot of ongoing series to read, easy.
    You like way too many comics. I think you need to raise your standards.
  • edited July 2013
    Oh no, I didn't realize liking different things from Scott Rubin meant my standards were low, whatever shall I do. :P
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • This isn't exactly the character archetype you are describing, but I notice people also love the "reformed villain" lone-wolf badass. He was originally a very formidable foe as a bad guy, but now he's willing to (begrudgingly at times) play for the good guys. You never know when he's going to become an issue though.

When I think of that, somebody like Vegeta from Dragonball Z comes to mind.
  • You guys need to step up your game