This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100518 - Real Time Strategy Games

1235»

Comments

• I should really pick up Wargame again. I played the demo(?) a while ago and enjoyed it, but haven't played an RTS with any frequency since Red Alert 2.

Man, now I want to play Red Alert 2 again.
  • Wargame is the best RTS in the past decade. It has some interface problems (especially on the deck building part), but no other game even comes close to the scale and strategic thinking it requires. Building and protecting supply lines wut?
  • Over 150 aircraft? How the hell is any normal person supposed to know which one to get? Military nerd only need apply.
  • edited March 2013
    What you mean you don't know the difference between T-72, T-72A, T-72M, T-71M1, and T-72B?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited March 2013
    What you mean you don't know the difference between T-72, 7-72A, T-72M, T-71M1, and T-72B?
    I couldn't even tell you if those are planes or helicopters. I can narrow it down to only those two things because of the context of this thread.

UPDATE: Aaaaaand, they're tanks.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I lol'd. Anyways, the designations don't really matter in the long run since the game provides you with all the stats in an easy way to compare various values (armor, AP, speed, fuel, etc.) Then again, if it's too difficult for you to compare numbers, I can see why you would avoid the game.
  • edited March 2013
    UPDATE: Aaaaaand, they're tanks.
    The "T" is a hint.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • The "T" is a hint.
    Not necessarily, the U.S. uses "T" designations for their trainer aircraft like the T-38.

• That's still an unnecessary number of options. The game becomes a matter of who can memorize the chart or look things up in the chart the most quickly.

• If you actually played the game, you'd know that you only pick a handful of the large variety for any game. It's like Netrunner, you build a deck of possible units from a sub-set of all possible units. You can use any hyper-reductionist argument you want, the only problem is that you have no desire to actually learn any of the domain knowledge for this game. That's fine, but don't just dismiss games because you are too lazy to actually understand WTF is going on.
  • edited March 2013
    The "T" is a hint.
    Not necessarily, the U.S. uses "T" designations for their trainer aircraft like the T-38.
    Yeah, but these aren't U.S. vehicles. Granted, Scott probably didn't know that.

Either way, though, a hint doesn't need to be 100% reliable, just statistically useful.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you actually played the game, you'd know that you only pick a handful of the large variety for any game. It's like Netrunner, you build a deck of possible units from a sub-set of all possible units. You can use any hyper-reductionist argument you want, the only problem is that you have no desire to actually learn any of the domain knowledge for this game. That's fine, but don't just dismiss games because you are too lazy to actually understand WTF is going on.
    Scott shits on a game he hasn't played and knows nothing about? Say it ain't so, Joe, Say it ain't so!

Scott shits on a game he hasn't played and knows nothing about? Say it ain't so, Joe, Say it ain't so!
    It's not that. Scott knows a thing, one thing, from a game and with that he instantly knows the whole game for what it is and if the game doesn't end up being what Scott thinks it is, then the game is wrong, not Scott.

• edited March 2013
    Yeah, but like I would ever type something THAT long. People would get bored and stop reading.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • bored and stop reading.
  • Wargame ALB is only $11 on Steam!
  • Hey, so that game Ultimate General is now available on Steam Early Access for $10 and it's awesome.