This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Brexit

I feel devastated by this news. As in, I'm having an emotional reaction similar to when friends of mine have died.

Comments

• The politicians in our two main parties have been so similar for so long now, that while I voted in them, I haven't much cared about the results of our general elections. This vote I cared about, and this is some bullshit...
  • I know that, technically, Parliament can still do what they want since a referendum is basically just asking the public what they think should be done, but now that Cameron has resigned it seems inevitable that Brexit will actually happen.
  • Welcome to the new age of xenophobia and hatred :(
  • As someone who's not a citizen of Europe and has limited knowledge on the subject...

Aside from taking an economic hit, are there any other consequences for leaving the EU?
  • I feel down about the whole thing. I'm starting to question whether I should be doing something more to promote my values but I don't know what. The trouble I always have talking politics is that I know the limits of my knowledge and I ride on the shoulders of far greater people.

• I think we need another general election now. The house of commons is so divided, we need to fix the parties.

A new vote under proportional representation is so needed right now.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I think we need another general election now. The house of commons is so divided, we need to fix the parties.

A new vote under proportional representation is so needed right now.

As much as I would love this the current state of things would suggest that it would only let in more of the bad side of politics.

Then again I'm sure those Norsefire uniforms would look pretty snazzy so what do we have to lose.
  • I feel devastated by this news. As in, I'm having an emotional reaction similar to when friends of mine have died.

It sucks to watch your country slowly succumb to the ravings of racists and xenophobes.

There are days that I wonder if the world has really truly lost its mind.
  • @Amp Conservative and Labour haven't got their act together. There are some conservative MPs who should be in labour and vica versa. There's not much I can say or do about Ukip. I very much doubt UKip has anywhere near a majority.

Labour and Conservatives still represent most the population (very generally speaking) if they can get their message straight.

More importantly though, the Green party is definitely deserving of more seats.
  • My country is German. This is where I chose and choose to live. I'm mostly upset for other people, not for myself.

To me, this feels like when the story of the Costa Concordia disaster was coming out. At every step along the way, everyone I know who had ever worked on a cruise ship said "The captain did what? He should have done the exact opposite!"

What the fuck was David Cameron thinking? Who says he can jump the sinking ship now? We need a metaphorical Italian coast guard to tell him to get back onto the fucking ship and take responsibility!
  • I don't think the nation has any confidence left in any of the current parties. We need to reconfigure the crew before anyone gets back behind the metaphorical wheel.
  • edited June 2016
    But the ship has hit a rock and is tipping over. The wheel isn't going to steer us anywhere because engine room is flooded.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Need a crew well trained to handle the flood, patch the hole and untip the ship. XD
  • Dazzle369 said:

I don't think the nation has any confidence left in any of the current parties. We need to reconfigure the crew before anyone gets back behind the metaphorical wheel.

Im telling you Norsefire is coming.
  • edited June 2016
    Many have lost sight of the fact that nearly 30% of eligible voters did not vote in the referendum, that it is non-binding (which likely impacted the results), and that 3.8% isn't a huge majority.
    (Source for information: BBC News)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Haven't seen anyone call attention to that. Political sticklers are welcome, wherever they're hiding.
  • Many have lost sight of the fact that nearly 30% of eligible voters did not vote in the referendum, that it is non-binding (which likely impacted the results), and that 3.8% isn't a huge majority.

Still, at the very least a third have voted to leave the EU. That's fucked up.
  • Many have lost sight of the fact that nearly 30% of eligible voters did not vote in the referendum, that it is non-binding (which likely impacted the results), and that 3.8% isn't a huge majority.

Still, at the very least a third have voted to leave the EU. That's fucked up.
    Nah, they voted in what was essentially a national poll that was mixed up with feelings of frustration with the current ruling party. If it were a genuine, binding vote I, potentially naively, doubt that there would have been nearly so many votes to leave the EU.

Make no mistake, this is happening.
  • Is the whole, guy in charge stepping down, ALSO non-binding? Does the genie really have the ability to be put back in this here bottle?
  • edited June 2016
    Andrew said:

Many have lost sight of the fact that nearly 30% of eligible voters did not vote in the referendum, that it is non-binding (which likely impacted the results), and that 3.8% isn't a huge majority.

Naoza said:

Is the whole, guy in charge stepping down, ALSO non-binding? Does the genie really have the ability to be put back in this here bottle?

Cameron stepping down is a certainty, but nothing is set in stone insofar as the UK leaving the EU.

Edit: In further reading, the UK must first actually announce to the EU that it will leave, then there is a long negotiations process, and a minimum 2 years before they can actually leave. Even then, depending on what is negotiated, they may not be able to fully "leave" the EU. Since the first step hasn't taken place and the UK is still wrestling with what this could actually mean for them, I remain hopeful.
  • I will attempt to share your optimism. However as a resident of the US, I feel like a man named Scrooge talking to a Ghost of Christmas Future.
  • edited June 2016
    Only 160 of the 650 MPs support Brexit. Parliament could block the move and call for a general election, and it will certainly heavily influence any leave negotiations.

• They aren't going to reject the vote, it would be political suicide for any party to alienate over 50% of the electorate.
  • CircleBoy said:

They aren't going to reject the vote, it would be political suicide for any party to alienate over 50% of the electorate.

Better to kill the party than kill the country.
  • Andrew said:

Naoza said:

Is the whole, guy in charge stepping down, ALSO non-binding? Does the genie really have the ability to be put back in this here bottle?

Cameron stepping down is a certainty, but nothing is set in stone insofar as the UK leaving the EU.

Edit: In further reading, the UK must first actually announce to the EU that it will leave, then there is a long negotiations process, and a minimum 2 years before they can actually leave. Even then, depending on what is negotiated, they may not be able to fully "leave" the EU. Since the first step hasn't taken place and the UK is still wrestling with what this could actually mean for them, I remain hopeful.
    You are missing the other half of the equation. The EU cannot allow member states to hold such referendums and allow them to question the integrity of it's union. They are going to move swiftly and quickly to make an example of the United Kingdom to let other countries know, don't fuck with your membership.