This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061031 - Interview with Luke Crane

RymRym
edited October 2006 in Role Playing Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we begin season two by bringing you a wonderful interview with Luke Crane, the creator of Burning Wheel, from Ubercon VIII.

Scott's Thing - This Ain't a Cutscene! Press A! PRESS A!

Comments

• I have never been able to tell a difference with the compressor settings, but this one definitely sounds different! I think it sounds kinda "tinny." But hey, thats just me.
  • I did notice a difference with the new compressor. For a talk show, I guess it's a question of how hi-fi you want to get, but there was a slight differnce.
  • I have to say, Scott Imed me to say I have to specificity watch this thing of the day.

This whole, talk funny and while going through video games and badly spelled text on the screen has gotten old for me. It's just the same joke over and over with someone attempting to be funny. Sure you get one or two quotes that are interesting but the rest of it sorta falls flat.

Now, the Guys watching Pokemon that's funny. The G.I.Joe reworked Public service annoucements were great. This? (I love RE4 but) sorta lame!
  • RymRym
    edited November 2006
    The interview sounds "tinny" because it was recorded poorly without preamps and with the old compressor. We don't have any boundary mics yet, so the guests had to use our normal close mic setup, which requires at least a modicum of microphone discipline.

While I don't blame him, Luke had a tendency to turn his head away from the mic at regular intervals, and the levels were all over the place. I mashed them down with a few compression and normalization algorithms, which had the unfortunate side effects of raising the noise floor and introducing artifacts.

Cremlian: I'd say this was actually a lot different from what you claim to be similar gags. What "talk funny while going through video games" things have you seen? Where are they? The point he was making was pretty valid, and the contrast between the two games was dead on and hilarious. ^_~
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm not talking about the interview, I am talking about your intro and ToTD. I totally understand why the interview is of poor quality.
  • Ahh, then noted. I was playing with a circuit that removes sibilance, and it seems to have other effects in addition to that.
  • Going by the logic that younger people hear better, we should get a 5 year old to be our audio engineer. Seriously.
  • I'm sure there is someone on the forums with a kid who could do some listening to compare.
  • I'm sure there is someone on the forums with a kid who could do some listening to compare.
    True, but should they let their kid listen to GeekNights?
  • edited November 2006
    True, but should they let their kid listen to GeekNights?
    They don't have to listen to all of it, just a little. Still, it would be up to them for their judgment.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Cool interview, and well timed since I'm starting in a Burning Wheel campaign tonight.

Oh, and a lot of the games that Luke mentioned and some of the theories of fun he mentioned are from the community at The Forge.
  • edited November 2006
    I just started listening to the episode and had to pause it because the audio on the non-interview part was really annoying. It sounds like you guys had some insanely domineering equalizer running. Every time you guys started to talk louder, the audio got pushed quieter and very rapidly too. Then when you started to talk quieter, it was pushed back up, again very fast. It basically sounds like a roller-coaster of audio levels. It was really bad.

[Edit] I'm 15, and I do know that there are some 13 year old young'ins running around the forums...
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It basically sounds like a roller-coaster of audio levels.
    That's because it -was- a roller-coaster of audio levels. We need to have a different mic solution for when we interview people, since we can't really expect our guests to have microphone training...
  • edited November 2006
    I just started listening to the episode and had to pause it because the audio on the non-interview part was really annoying.
    As in, the intro and TotD. Check your eye-sight, Rym.

And by the way by, that dude was really freakin' awesome and hilarious.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I totally didn't read your post. ^_~

But like I've said, I've got a lot of twiddling to do with the compressor. Generally, what you described is exactly what a compressor does. ^_~ The level is pushed down the louder we get. Next week, I'm going to use both compression circuits, one as a compressor and one as a limiter. This will allow me to use less powerful compression and still sit below the clip line.
  • I didn't notice any difference at all in the sound quality, but I am not the sort of person that would.
  • I'm not into RPGs, but this guy's energy was infectious.
    That's part of why playing in his games is so awesome.
    That's part of why playing in his games is so awesome.
    Absolutely. I played in the Inheritance game at Ubercon, and just like Scott and Rym said, Luke Crane is more of a director than dungeon master. He keeps the pace up and moves the game along energetically. Burning Wheel is an almost cathartic experience if you get into it and stay in the fray of the conflict and action. You come out very drained, and emotionally spent, but incredibly satisfied.