This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This could be the death of Youtube if they implement it

edited April 2007 in Technology
Adobe continues to be evil
I know MTV uses something because when I watched the streams of Wrestling Society X on there they had like 30 second ads in between segments, but if this ends up on every single Youtube video it will so sour people on the site, I am certain of it

Comments

• Do you, do you even read these things? It says Adobe will add a feature to flash video so that people can download and watch offline. It also says that copyright holders can embed DRM into flash videos if they want. It doesn't say that every flash video will be DRM'd and unwatchable full of ads OMG!

Most likely what will happen is sites like YouTube will add a feature allowing people with newer versions of flash to download the videos to disk to watch any time. Sites like mtv.com might add this feature, but the video you download to disc will be encumbered with DRM. Actually, it's more likely that nothing will happen to YouTube. YouTube and Google Video are both using old flash so that people with Flash 7 can still use the sites. I imagine this DRM will necessitate locking out anyone not using the newest flash. Until adobe releases a newer flash SDK, so that browsers like the Wii browser can do Flash 9, I don't see YouTube changing a thing.
  • Did you read what I said? I said IF they implement it for a reason. Google Video already has something to download videos, actually. They took it off the NHL games after a few weeks, but most of the (admittedly few) Google videos I've seen that weren't hockey games have an option to download to PSP/Ipod which gives you a nice mp4(I think that's the format, feel free to correct me). I'm hoping no one uses it and DRM and ad penetration much beyond where it is now don't get off the ground. There is, however, now the chance that they could throw an ad before every video you watch on Youtube. I imagine that might put a bit of a hitch in your desire to look for Things of the Day on there if there was an ad on every vid you saw.
  • Even if YouTube dies there will be something else. Remember Napster? That 'died' but people just moved on.