This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• BWAH??? So, if I understand the last episode correctly it changes the Doctor's cannon? Or does the movie now official not count? I thought the movie was considered canon as he drew his "movie" self in his notebook.

Note- I'm being vague on purpose as it only aired earlier today.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. This is a spoiler thread now, so you can spoil anything about the show, and if people are stupid enough to read about what they haven't seen, that's their problem.
  • In the Dr. Who movie, it is stated that the Doctor is half human. His mother was human and his father was a Timelord. That would, in theory, make him half human. Or a Human TimeLord hybrid. In the season finale, he states that there can't be a human TimeLord hybrid because the physiology doesn't allow for it. So as far as I can tell that leaves 4 possibilities:

A) The movie isn't canon. Problem with that is the Doctor from the movie shows up as a drawing of the Doctor's past lives.
    B) The Doctor form the movie is canon, but everything else is bunk. Ok fair enough, but kinda odd to pick and choose. Although wouldn't be the first time a TV show does that. Continuity in a 50 year old series can get a bit muddled.
    C) They forgot that part on accident. Seems rather silly to acknowledge that movie and accept that doctor while missing the major plot point of the entire movie.
    D) The Doctor isn't a Human TimeLord hybrid. He could be fully TimeLord with some Human DNA.

That last option is the only one that sorta works for me, but the writers would have to end up explaining how TimeLord physiology is dominate and overloads Human DNA, but leaves the coding there or something. That could allow for the movie to still work.
  • I vote for the movie being canon but the revelation of part-humanity being a temporary delusion brought about by regeneration (along with that 'other' kiss).

Just for fun, this is from the UK Queer As Folk, written by Russell T:
    Stuart: Give him [Cameron] six months and he'll be able to name all the Doctors in Doctor Who, in order......William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy.
    Vince: What about Paul McGann?
    Both Together: Paul McGann doesn't count!
  • Why does the Doctor from the other dimension does not have the Doctor's Donna's problem. Also, I was hopping for a cliffhanger at the end. I wanna know who is the new companion.
    I also think that the Doctor should go and visit her granddaughter sometime. I mean is time for him to return her shoe.
    However, I am pretty sure that we will see Donna in the future. I mean there was a lot of focusing on that ring of hers, even on her last scene.
  • Why does the Doctor from the other dimension does not have the Doctor's Donna's problem.
    The reason is in that demension, Rose doesn't exist. Or rather that dimension's version of her. Her dad's schemes ended up working and made him Bill Gates rich. And the marriage never worked (or never happened, I forget which) with Jackie. The "Doctor" probably exists, but is occupied with other things, or even more depressing dead, as Rose has saved the Doctor a couple times.
    I also think that the Doctor should go and visit her granddaughter sometime. I mean is time for him to return her shoe.
    Eh, she is/was off fighting the Darlek's. Or maybe wiped from the time line... So confusing trying to figure out the time lock of the Darlek war within multiple timelines. But that was kinda odd. Left standing outside the TARDIS with only one shoe. Was that ever explained?
    However, I am pretty sure that we will see Donna in the future. I mean there was a lot of focusing on that ring of hers, even on her last scene.
    If I remember correctly that's not the first time we've seen that. When the Master died, and was burned It focused in on someone taking the Master's signit ting. It's rumored that how the master will return. Same thing could be done with Donna, but they'd have to work around the whole brain exploding thing.
  • Why does the Doctor from the other dimension does not have the Doctor's Donna's problem.
    I would imagine there are differences between a Time Lord that's part human and a human that's part Time Lord. I think Tasel misunderstood your question.
  • Oooh... yea, totally misread that. Uhm... hmm. Good point. Perhaps he doesn't have the full knowledge in there? Could also be that he was created with both parts, and therefore the matrix compensated with that. Could this also explain the continuity issue with the movie? Maybe they're using hybrid more as a after-the-fact sorta thing other than a purely genetic one.
  • I am pretty sure Doctor Donna was so freaking smart that she probably figure a way to still be herself without her brain exploding but the Doctor just went and erased her memories just before she could fix herself but I think in her subconscious she is still there. It would be so awesome that eventually we will need Doctor Donna in order to defeat another incarnation of the Master.
    Also, this time no Dalek survive which makes me sad, but then again all the cybermen were suppose to be in the void/ hell and we will see them in the next christmas special. I wonder if we will see Charlie Chaplin in honor to Donna. I mean we did see black and white footage of the cybermen.
    Also, since Rose said that all worlds are being destroyed and even the void is gone. Did the three Doctors fixed that problem? I do not remember if they did anything about that.
    Also, Doctor Donna is fun! I want her back.
  • Also, this time no Dalek survive which makes me sad, but then again all the cybermen were suppose to be in the void/ hell and we will see them in the next christmas special. I wonder if we will see Charlie Chaplin in honor to Donna. I mean we did see black and white footage of the cybermen.
    Well the cybermen that came through and attacked earth were not the cybermen of this universe. They were from that parallel universe that's running ahead (time wise) of ours. So most likely these are from our timeline.
    Also, since Rose said that all worlds are being destroyed and even the void is gone. Did the three Doctors fixed that problem? I do not remember if they did anything about that.
    When the Doctor's destroyed the reality bomb, the threat that was dissolving the void and all the worlds. Once that threat was gone, it ripped across the mutiverse... Yes I'm aware of the plot and pusdo science holes that you could drive a truck through. But I think that was the point they were trying to get across.
    Also, Doctor Donna is fun! I want her back.
    Dito. Even more interesting would be Doctor Donna, The Doctor, and Jenny. One big cooky family.
  • edited July 2008
    To Tasel. I am gonna try to explain why Susan was left with only on shoe at the begining of the Doctor;s adventures.
    She felt in love with guy in the year 2168, the Daleks were already defeated back then. She gave him her shoe to be repaired but then she had to choose between the guy and her grandfather. He knew he would never leave her so he decided for her and closed the TARDIS. As the TARDIS was fading away she left the TARDIS keys on the ground. That was such a good serial :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited July 2008
    I hope the next series finale doesn't involve the Daleks. They're getting a bit over used IMO.

I'm more interested in a plot involving a new threat or the Master's ring than an escaped Davros.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • Well to be fair they are "the" enemy of the Doctor. We're quickly running out of big enemies for the season finale. Although going through the list below, it looks like the darleks were so far in the end 3 time out of 4 so far. So fair point.

Darlek's - Check (three times)
    The Master - Check
    the Cybermen - Check

What other big badies would you like the Doctor to fight off in the finale? I can't see them creating "new" big bad guy in one season. The threat and feeling behind it wouldn't be there. Especially as they said they are going back to the 13 episode arcs again starting with the new season. The only option would be to take one of the more minor villains and punch them up a notch.
  • If they are doing one 13-episode story akin the the Dalek's Master Plan it might be best to create a whole new villain for that story since you would have more then enough time to build them up to something. They could always use the Rani or some other old repeating villain. They already brought back the Sontarans this season, they could be reused to some degree. I think they should retire the Dalek's for 2-3 season. It would be interesting but annoying to see them bring back all the Time Lords but I imagine they might do that at some point. I expect the next year to be pretty weak with just the 4 specials but the next season I imagine will be much better and lesser emotion based victories for the Doctor (season 3 victory).
  • Hey, I liked the Doctor's victory in series 3
    I am pretty sure Steven Moffat will bring back a younger version of Prof. River Song for the Doctor's future companion. If Tennant stops being the Doctor after the 4 specials then I think we will see River next year. Also, the universe has expanded with the addition of different dimensions. What if in the human Doctor's dimension their Doctor was actually evil. Doctor vs Doctor finale would be interesting to see.
    Also, there are still a bunch of things for the Doctor to do, such as do something with the end of the universe. I was pretty unsatisfied when I realized that the final destiny of humanity is to either become a "future kind" or a sociopath society of flying heads.
    And I really wanna know what happened in the Time War.
  • What if in the human Doctor's dimension their Doctor was actually evil.
    I'm gusing that the Dr would have a goatee (i don't believe any of the version had facial hair) ala mirror universe. And does that make the eniemes now allies? Flower power'd Darleks FTW.
    1. And I really wanna know what happened in the Time War.

You could do an entire series arc with this. Culminating either the actual end of the war (ala the whole season being flashbacks... although I'm guessing they'd have to get Paul McGann to do one season. Shouldn't be too hard as he still does some of the audio version of Doctor Who for the BBC. Could even keep Tennant in to be the narrator so no regeneration needed.) Or it could be a breaking through of the time war or some parallel demision running behind us (oposed to the one Rose is in that's ahead of us) where the Doctor can figure a way to end it without destroying everyone(or end up doing the same thing for a twist). Actually if they could do it, getting McGann back to do an entire flash back 13 episode arc would be best and interesting seeing one doctor tell the story of another.
  • A McGann season would be more than welcomed by the fans of the series. They will have to cover the Time War in some way or another. We are learning more and more about it each season but that doesn't mean we know what actually happened. They should have used these 4 specials to cover the Time War. I think Tennant will be on for at least one more full season after the specials. I think they should wait a little before they introduce River Song back. It seemed to me that she met with the Doctor randomly and then they would have adventures. That might be interesting.
  • There's a couple bits of important news I thought I'd bring up:
    • Torchwood is coming back next year as a 5-part miniseries over a period of one week
    • Spoilers of upcoming episodes: Robert Carlyle ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001015/ ) will be the Eleventh Doctor as of the 2009 Christmas special (4 more episodes of Tennant)
    • Mickey Smith and Martha Jones will be in Torchwood next year.
    By the way, Tasel, it's spelled "Dalek", not "Darlek". I know they have a British accent and everything, but that 'r' really isn't there.
  • Anyone attending Otakon, check out the FRC tables, as Mr.MacRoss has some Doctor Who fan art (both past and present characters featured).
  • edited July 2008
    Trogdor, your third bullet point is right now being disputed. On Noel Clarke's website, he said farewell to both Torchwood (which he wrote an episode for) and Doctor Who. It seems like he's not going to be doing anymore work for them anymore and they start shooting the new season in August.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • Tasel, it's spelled "Dalek", not "Darlek".
    Hangs head in shame.
  • edited July 2008
    Trogdor42, Robert Carlyle has denied the rumors :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Has anyone else noticed that the whole thing with "the info in Donna's head is killing her" is much like the episode of Star-gate Sg1 when Jack O'Neill gets all of the ancient's knowledge put in his head with that head sucker device?

Also, in a future episode of doctor who maybe they will need the info in the Donna's head and will bring her back without killing her. Perhaps they could use the chameleon arc to turn her into a full time-lord since she did mention it in the episode.
  • Has anyone heard of the new Doctor, Matt Smith? I haven't seen anything he's been in.
  • Now that this thread has been resurrected, I'm going to quote myself from a year ago:
    Torchwood is coming back next year as a 5-part miniseries over a period of one week
    Children of Earth was FUCKING AWESOME. If you haven't seen it, go download it now. It just ended today.

Linktothepresent, my opinion of Matt Smith is and will be until spring next year absolutely non-existent. What I can say is that the casting crew saw his audition and basically made their decision on the spot.
  • edited July 2009
    Children of Earth comes out on BBC America on July 20th. They have a preview of it (the first 20 minutes or so) is currently available on BBC America On Demand.

BTW, do people in the UK think Primeval is terrible? Everyone that I have spoken with in the U.S. that has had the misfortune to see the show detests it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Has anyone heard of the new Doctor, Matt Smith? I haven't seen anything he's been in.
    Yeah, lordupya told me - he's one funny lookin' dude.
  • edited July 2009
    In my opinion the new Doctor was chosen to appeal to the new vampire loving demographic.
    I am looking forward to the plots. I really want to see the start of the story between the Doctor and Professor River Song.
    And I am looking forward to know more about the new companion.
    Post edited by Erwin on

• BTW, do people in the UK think Primeval is terrible? Everyone that I have spoken with in the U.S. that has had the misfortune to see the show detests it.
    Yes. Although it's not surprising since it is made by ITV, the worst main steam T.V. channel in Britain. As a rival to Dr Who, needless to say it got its arse kicked.
  • Yes. Although it's not surprising since it is made by ITV, the worst main steam T.V. channel in Britain. As a rival to Dr Who, needless to say it got its arse kicked.
    I don't know why they brought it over. There are some great shows in the U.K. Primeval is not one of them.
  • I just finished watching the first episode of Children of Earth. It was pretty good.