This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• I've always been pretty leery about reading any book based on anything. This is partially because I don't know if it's cannon, since i don't want to read some glorified fan-fiction. It is also that many times licenced books are just written by authors who aren't very inventive and can't think of their own universe.
  • I always liked that audio drama that tells the origin of the Cybermen, "Spare Parts".

I mean RTS liked it so much that he used it as a base for the AU Cybermen.
  • The great thing about Doctor Who is that you really do not need to watch all of it, to understand it or like it.
    If you ask me what are the best episodes from the new series, I would say:
    Series One:
    "The Empty Child"
    "The Doctor Dances"
    "Father's day"
    "Dalek"
    "Bad Wolf"
    "The Parting of the ways"

Series Two:
    "The Girl in the Fireplace"
    "The Impossible Planet"
    "The Satan's Pit"
    "Love and Monsters"
    "Army of Ghost"
    "Doomsday"
  • My family has a box set of all the old Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes. The show is really funny, and many of the special effects are amusing, especially now when they seem old and silly.
  • Awesome trailer
  • OMG ROSE!@ 7:17
  • After just seeing the whole Jack vs John (and his "master") battle in the last episode of Torchwood's season, this makes me think Rose may not be so friendly...
  • After just seeing the whole Jack vs John (and his "master") battle in the last episode of Torchwood's season, this makes me think Rose may not be so friendly...
    And that would make it the more awesome :P
  • The thing I love about Doctor and find it the most fascinating is the regeneration process. And I'm getting sad, because Doctor Who will probably end soon due to the Doctor being on his tenth body.

the following comments are for n00bs or people who don't understand Doctor Who.

For those of you who don't understand, regeneration is what happens to the doctor when he is mortally wounded or sick. When he dies, his body changes into a completely new body but all of his memories from his past forms are still intact. Also each body has a different personality, but that doesn't stop him from being super-smart.

A Time Lord (the Doctor's race to those of who don't know) can only have thirteen bodies before they die completely. Right now the doctor is on his tenth form, and soon he will die completely (that is if the producers decide to extend the seasons for a long period of time).
  • My favorite episode is the one about the Lonely Assassins (the Stone Angels)
  • My family has a box set of all the old Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes. The show is really funny, and many of the special effects are amusing, especially now when they seem old and silly.
    Remember Tom's first episode when he jumps rope with Harry? I thought that was both hilarious and weird.
  • And I'm getting sad, because Doctor Who will probably end soon due to the Doctor being on his tenth body.
    I was talking with some friends about this issue (they know an infinitely larger amount about the franchise than me), and the consensus was that The Doctor is special in some way, and that the regeneration limit may not apply to him. But if that isn't the case, I guess they'll just find a way around it.
  • I thought the limit on regens was lifted? That's what I heard from a friend of mine.
  • And I'm getting sad, because Doctor Who will probably end soon due to the Doctor being on his tenth body.
    Trust me. They will find a way around this. There is no way that they are going to kill the franchise.

Here is my theory regarding this season.... (I haven't read any spoilers, so it's just a complete guess on my part.)
    David Tennant is doing theater during the upcoming year. Because of this, BBC has announced that there will be no regular Doctor Who season next year - only specials.
    My theory is that this is misdirection. I'm guessing that Tennant is done with Doctor Who as of this season. BBC is covering this up, and they really will have a full season next year. It will be with a new Doctor. They haven't announced this because they don't want to give away a shocking ending to this season resulting in a regeneration.

Just a total guess. Actually, it's more hope than anything else. I like Tennant, but I don't want to go two years between seasons.
  • edited April 2008
    The thing I love about Doctor and find it the most fascinating is the regeneration process. And I'm getting sad, because Doctor Who will probably end soon due to the Doctor being on his tenth body.

the following comments are for n00bs or people who don't understand Doctor Who.

For those of you who don't understand, regeneration is what happens to the doctor when he is mortally wounded or sick. When he dies, his body changes into a completely new body but all of his memories from his past forms are still intact. Also each body has a different personality, but that doesn't stop him from being super-smart.

A Time Lord (the Doctor's race to those of who don't know) can only have thirteen bodies before they die completely. Right now the doctor is on his tenth form, and soon he will die completely (that is if the producers decide to extend the seasons for a long period of time).
    While that is normally true, the master regenerated like 15 times, so the doctor probably will too.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Doctor Who follows a VERY loose canon, so even if he does use up all 13 bodies, if the series is still popular and doing well they won't care about canon so much, especially since that part of the canon was mentioned before the reinvention of the series. If you, like me, saw all the old-ass Doctor Who episodes you know that they changed a lot between now and then. Hell, I thought the idea of Doctor Who without K9 was a horrible idea when the reinvention first started.
  • But the Doctor did not had K-9 in the 90s movie. I gotta say that I kind of like that one. It gaves me hope to see the master once again.
    Also, what is up with the bees?
  • When did the whole "I'm the only Time Lord" enter the canon of the show?

I know they have already established that going back and changing things causes real bad things to happen (when Rose tried to save her dad) but they also did bring back the Daleks. They were supposed to have all died as well. I can easily see them doing the same thing with the Time Lords.
  • but they also did bring back the Daleks. They were supposed to have all died as well.
    They never all die, which is why you saw them come back. For example, If you look very carefully at the finale of season two, when all of the daleks sucked into the vortex (or whatever it was), there is one that doesn't. They are always careful to leave a loophole like that.
  • but they also did bring back the Daleks. They were supposed to have all died as well.
    They never all die, which is why you saw them come back. For example, If you look very carefully at the finale of season two, when all of the daleks sucked into the vortex (or whatever it was), there is one that doesn't. They are always careful to leave a loophole like that.
    Was that before or after the one where they meet the human/dalek hybrids in New York?

The thing about time is that unless they are somehow written out of all existance you can always go back in time before the time war and find them. Or can you? If Time Lords were bouncing all over time and space before the time War than shouldn't they still be bouncing about?
  • edited April 2008
    The whole "I'm the only timelord" thing came into it with the reinvention of the show, it's never actually covered in a tv series/show or movie I think, maybe a book. And I believe the whole thing about going back and changing things is null since if another time lord existed at any point during the existence of the universe they'd be able to travel to any point, meaning the race would never be able to be wiped out, because at one point in time they did exist with time travel capability.

But then there is always Oblivion, which seems to be the premise they're going on with Doctor Who. Makes sense, in a sci fi show where they can make up science and have two races that travel freely through time, the ability to send an entire race to complete oblivion exists, causing them to never exist at any single point in time, save for The Doctor. Of course, you begin the whole "Then how does the doctor exist" stuff, but, this show isn't that deep.

To quote a certain tv show opener song, "If you're wonder how they eat and breath and other science facts... just repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax!"
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • edited April 2008
    The thing about time is that unless they are somehow written out of all existance you can always go back in time before the time war and find them.
    There are some episodes from the Tom Baker years when he goes to the planet where (and when) Davros created the Daleks. Needless to say, he didn't take care of the problem.

I suppose you could always go back to Davro's birth and kill him, but that would create a paradox, and we know how bad those are.

I agree with the above poster. Doctor who is not meant to be taken too seriously.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited April 2008
    They could always have Time Lords from a parallel dimension make their way over.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • They've already said traveling between universes is virtually impossible (or at least not safely, universe go bang), with the whole Rose Tyler thing.
  • edited April 2008
    They've already said traveling between universes is virtually impossible (or at least not safely, universe go bang), with the whole Rose Tyler thing.
    He also said it was easier when the Time Lords were around. Therefore, if Time Lords exist in a parallel dimension they can easily cross over.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • They've already said traveling between universes is virtually impossible (or at least not safely, universe go bang), with the whole Rose Tyler thing.
    He also said it was easier when the Time Lords were around. Therefore, if Time Lords exist in a parallel dimension they can easily cross over.
    Perhaps it would've only been easy when Time Lords existed in both of the universes travelled between?
  • Well I watched the first episode of the new season last night and I thought it was pretty weak...hope things improve.
  • Well I watched the first episode of the new season last night and I thought it was pretty weak...hope things improve.
    It was an ok episode and then Rose appears and I was blown away :P
  • I liked the episode. I thought the pantomime seen was hilarious. I'm also glad that the Doctor has a partner that isn't suffering from unrequited love.
  • How did I miss this? I'm still watching the last season on BBC America.