This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Luke Crane Interview [Burning Wheel]

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Role Playing Games
It's been a while since our first interview with Luke Crane, the creator of Burning Wheel. We're planning a follow-up in the nearing future, focusing more on the game itself.

Thus, what questions might you fine folks have for the man?

Comments

• I enjoyed reading the Blossums are Falling, even though I haven't had a chance to use it much in play. Does he have any plans for other BW Setting Books?

What is/was "Project Donut"?
  • Perhaps someone should listen to the previous interview and write down all the questions asked there. That way we'll know what not to ask. And no, I do not wish to do that, am busy fiddling with an Ikariam map with hover stuff. 10101 divs is perhaps not a great idea...
  • How do you get friends who completely dismiss role playing into role playing?
  • Since I never listen to this before, I'll list all the questions Rym and Scott asked them (not the ones they asked Scott or Rym).
    1. Where are you from? (Scott)
    2. How did you first start role playing? (Scott)
    3. Where did the idea for Burning Wheel come from (inspirations, reasons etc.)? (Scott)
    4. So what makes Burning Wheel different and more awesome than other role playing systems? (Scott)
    5. A talk about burning wheel in depth and the concepts behind it, such as quick resolving of battles, choices and the excitement.
    6. For someone out there who is or is not a gamer, how do you recommend they get into Burning Wheel or Role Playing in general? (Scott)
    7. Questions became a talk about Lacuna and a recommendation to role play at conventions to get into Burning Wheel.
    8. A vague question about how Luke Crane runs his games like a director with internal conflicts etc. (Rym)
    9. Can you tell us about Burning Empires? (Scott)
    10. How do you game at your own table and how can we game as awesomely as you do? (Scott)
    11. Can you tell us the funniest story from a session you have had? (Scott)
    12. What are you into besides making and playing role playing games? (Scott)
    13. Do you have a day job or is Burning Wheel it? (Scott)
    14. Name a favorite movie? (Rym)
    15. Are you an anime fan? (Rym)
    16. Do you read comics or manga? (Scott)
    17. Have you read any of Alan Moores stuff? (Rym)
    18. Webcomics? (Scott)
    19. What websites do you visit? (Scott)
    20. Do you listen to any podcasts? (Scott)
    21. Where did the Burning Wheel come from? (Scott)
    22. Luke Crane pimps himself up
  • If he could magically change, say, three things in all the copies of Burning Wheel revised, what would they be; that is, have any insights occurred that in his opinion would make it even better?

Ask him about the creative process of making the less fantasy-sy follow-up settings like Blossoms are Falling or Burning Empires, how the ideas were developed, whether and how the system had to be adapted.
  • What are your favourite "house rules" and other general variations that you've seen other players suggest/institute for Burning Wheel games?
  • edited April 2008
    What's the least effective game mechanic currently widely in use?

The Lord of the Rings books was obviously a big influence on BW. Was there anything else that weighed heavily into Burning Wheel?
    Post edited by Neito on
  • Because of your original interview with Luke, I bought Burning Wheel and I have listened every other interview of him that I have found. I really enjoy listening different interviews of him. Luke knows how to talk people to buy his game, if I would have a RPG shop in my town, I might have bought Burning wheel for multiple times now. After Luke's interview I'm always like "Wow, that's great game, I must get it...wait a moment I have it already."

But because Luke has been in many places over the Internet it might be hard to find really original questions, but to say what I would like to hear about Luke is following.
    -How to start a good game/campaign for Burning wheel: I have noticed that the planning phase of campaign is very important in burning wheel. Thinking about beliefs and what is the campaign about. But it can be hard too, specially with players who are new into burning wheel, who don't yet understand what the beliefs are for and how to choose them. That leads easily into campaign that dies at the beginning.
    -And kind of a continue to that question. How to save a game that has went dull: When we have played a few sessions and then realise that we aren't into the game anymore, because it just doesn't work, how the game could be saved from that without starting a new game.

Those are things that interest me and they are both from my gaming table too.
  • edited April 2008
    'Nother couple of questions for Luke that came to my head after reading a bit of the book Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress (which isn't the greatest book, but it's a good idea): What is your opinion on girls and tabletop RPGs? Have you seen more girls playing them in recent years? Any tips for encouraging female friends to try out games like Burning Wheel if they're not already super-geeky? Also, I noticed that you always use the male pronoun (he, his) in the BW books, which makes the sentences flow smoother than they would using he/she all the time, but it does imply that it's going to be a game of mostly guys. Any thoughts on that?

My own BW campaign looks like it's going to have a female majority of players (4 girls, 2 guys, and me). I'm quite pleased with that, due to the conception I've had all my life of games like DnD and BW being boys-only activities. I love that I'll be able to share this great game with all my geeky friends, not just the guys who already game (not that there's anything wrong with them, mind you ^_~).
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Where are the gnomes?