This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So have Geeknights suggested anything you've really hated?

124»

Comments

• Wait a minute, are you two watching Damekko Doubutsu?
  • Damekko Doubutsu
    Yesh. Scott calls it "animals that suck." What do they suck at? Everything!
  • Plot Summary: Uruno, a useless wolf, is on the road searching for a new place to call home. He soon comes upon a whole forest full of "useless animals"-- that is, animals that don't live up to their species' usual character. After a short fight with the smoking, bad-tempered rabbit, Usahara, Uruno decides that he wants to move on... but changes his mind upon meeting Chiiko, a clumsy cheetah girl. It's love at first sight for Uruno, and after deciding to stay for her, he continues to hope that even though he's a good-for-nothing, he'll win her over someday. That is, if living with the other strange residents of the forest-- including the aformentioned smoking rabbit, a sake-drinking unicorn, a near-sighted owl, a travelling saleswoman bear, and a shy pegasus --doesn't get to him first.
    *stare* What the hell? I... i...? I? *stare* What the hell?
  • edited May 2008
    Funny thing - I actually wrote that plot description on ANN a couple years back. It's one of the only three things I've ever contributed to the ANN encyclopedia (the other two being entry images), but there it is. XD;;
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I guess our tastes are just too different but I like giving things a try so I keep on listening to you guys. Bah, I need to stop.
    Considering that you seem to hate all of the anime that we enjoy, what shows doyouthink are good?
    To be fair, I don't hate every anime you guys like, just the ones that I had not previously watched before and decided to try based on your reccomendations. Off the top of my head, the anime's that I liked and had already seen before you guys brought it up were Gundam Seed (I liked Destiny too though) and Death Note.
    I am a big fan of the shonen types so I like my Naruto and Bleach animes. There are also some quality shojo works that I like too such as Ouran Host Club and Lovely Complex. Mechas are also fun to watch such as the mentioned Gundam Seed as well as Code Geass, and Guren Lagan.
  • I disliked Sanctuary pretty intensely, but generally I've liked Rym and Scott's other suggestions.

Since the first volume of The Prince of Nothing is still out at the MIT Science Fiction Society I've bitten the bullet and ordered it on Amazon. Elements of your description make it sound a bit like the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson, but of course that was a fantasy series written by an archaeologist, while this is a fantasy series written by a philosopher.
  • I dislikedSanctuarypretty intensely, but generally I've liked Rym and Scott's other suggestions.
    If you have the volumes, please give them up! There are plenty of people who want them badly. Also, I can't believe you didn't like it. OMG.
    Malazan Book of the Fallenseries by Steven Erikson, but of course that was a fantasy series written by an archaeologist,
    I am intrigued. Tell me more.
  • edited May 2008
    I'll give more details on them after I read The Prince of Nothing and you guys do your review of it, so I can make an accurate comparison.

EDIT: Also, I only got the first volume of Sanctuary.
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • edited May 2008
    I think the Malazan Books of the Fallen aren't quite as intellectual as the Prince of Nothing. I think the author is trained in anthropology as well as archaeology, and there's a lot of that in there. A lot of the overarching story ends up being about different races and the history and interaction between them, particularly around the middle-to-later books, when you start getting a handle on what's going on in the world he's built, and he introduces a couple of new elements. However, the actual action of the books often comes off as being over-the-top badassness, if that makes sense, which to some degree it is.

But I love them, I think I'm purposefully playing them down. The problem is it's one of those things that, in my opinion, gets markedly better as the series goes on, the first book in particular being rather bad.
    Post edited by rhinocero on