This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Futurama is Back!

edited June 2006 in News
And about damn time, too.

While there have been plenty of false reports in the past, this one sounds about 99.9% real. And it made the front page of Slashdot, so it must be true... right?

Anyway, Woohoo! Bite my shiny metal comeback!

Comments

• Leprechaun universe is well and good, if you haven't been to pirate universe!

Faith and begora!
  • Dare I believe it? I have been hurt by such rumors many times in the past.

Everybody Loves Hypnotoad
  • For starters, the 'rumour' began with Katey Segal, not Billy West or John DiMaggio, so it has that going for it.

Second, there are already plans for a series of straight-to-DVD movies, so the jump from that to a series on TV is realistic. And if we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
  • edited June 2012
    This is real.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • This is real.
    How would you know?
  • This is real.
    How would you know?
    I checked on teh Internets.
  • This is real.
    How would you know?
    I checked on teh Internets.
    AKA, Front page of reddit, but nobody called it out as bullshit in the comments.

• Adult Swim has been using the Futurama memes in its ads for the past few weeks.
  • I've stalled on this halfway through season 6. It seems like they're continuously playing faster and looser with the characters and universe to get specific jokes. It's not like the show ever took itself seriously, but there isn't enough setup for most of the stuff the show's doing now.
  • Yeah, I've basically given up on Futurama. A surprising number of the jokes are gender -based relics of the late eighties, and the rest are increasingly consequence-free character deviations.

You do realize that the ironically stilted humor is stilted ironically, right? It's deliberate.

You do realize that the ironically stilted humor is stilted ironically, right? It's deliberate.
    That's the trouble with ironic humor and satire. If you take it too far, you're just as bad as what you're making fun of.
  • I couldn't possibly disagree more. I think there's a point at which people with certain personalities cease to get the joke, but I also believe that satirizing archaic and regrettable modes of thought is the best way to undo them.
  • It's a slippery slope. Once upon a time, I had good taste in movies. I could accurately discern good from bad based solely on what I liked. I started getting into schlock and so-bad-it's-good genres. Now, I unironically like Indpependance Day.
  • edited June 2012
    I started getting into schlock and so-bad-it's-good genres. Now, I unironically like Indpependance Day.
    You shut your whore mouth. ID4 is our generation's Paths of Glory.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I couldn't possibly disagree more. I think there's a point at which people with certain personalities cease to get the joke, but I also believe that satirizing archaic and regrettable modes of thought is the best way to undo them.
    So are you one of those people who defend "ironic" racist hipster humor? At a certain point, it just is racist humor, and thus totally indefensible.

• edited June 2012
    Maybe we should talk specifics. For example, I was bothered in Neutopia when all of the women saw a clearance sale mirage. Because the show is using all of the characters, not just the obviously sexist ones like Zapp, the stereotypes become the joke. I guess that, in turn, is supposed to be viewed through an ironic lens in the midst of jokes that aren't? Doesn't quite work for me. Maybe it's again a situation of trying to do too much and pack different tones in close together.
    Post edited by Nissl on
    So are you one of those people who defend "ironic" racist hipster humor? At a certain point, it just is racist humor, and thus totally indefensible.

No, there's no point at which it's actually racist humor unless you're a wilting daisy who can't take a joke. Intent matters.
    Maybe we should talk specifics. For example, I was bothered in Neutopia when all of the women saw a clearance sale mirage. Because the show is using all of the characters, not just the obviously sexist ones like Zapp, the stereotypes become the joke. I guess that, in turn, is supposed to be viewed through an ironic lens in the midst of jokes that aren't? Doesn't quite work for me. Maybe it's again a situation of trying to do too much and pack different tones in close together.
    Seriously? That's exactly the sort of over-the-top joke that is clearly being done ironically and not at all in earnest. It's definitely not subtle, which would be an insidious sort of sexism. It's right out there "look at this stupid joke."

I don't understand people who don't understand this.
  • edited June 2012
    One of Adam's (African American - stated for context) students told the BEST joke regarding race that I've ever heard

Student: What's sad about three black guys going of the cliff in a a Cadillac?
    Adam: [Blank stare]
    Student:
    Those were my friends.

Yep. The best racially based joke. Evah.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on

• Yep. The best racially based joke. Evah.
    I got one better.

What do you call a black man flying an airplane?

A Pilot you racist!
  • One of Adam's (African American - stated for context) students told the BEST joke regarding race that I've ever heard
    I don't get it.
  • Racists think that all black people know each other. I'm stumped by Coldguy's.
  • I'm stumped by Coldguy's.
    I think it's supposed to be that the person is supposed to guess something racist and there's a reversal of expectation when the answer is just "pilot."
    I think it's supposed to be that the person is supposed to guess something racist and there's a reversal of expectation when the answer is just "pilot."
    Actually, I thought the same thing applied to Kate's joke as well.
  • So much for "best racist jokes ever."
    No, there's no point at which it's actually racist humor unless you're a wilting daisy who can't take a joke. Intent matters.
    [...]
    I don't understand people who don't understand this.
    And at the same time, I can't tolerate people who, when someone takes offense to a joke, blames the person being offended. Saying "you can't take a joke" is tantamount to saying "I don't care or respect your feelings, and therefore I have no responsibility for saying something that you find hurtful."

It's not your choice whether something that you say offends anybody, and it's certainly not their fault if something you said is offensive - it's yours, for not realizing (or just not caring) that it would offend them. When someone is offended, I would say that you have a definite moral responsibility to apologize and to not offend them again in the future.

That is not to say that you can't make racist jokes - but it's only okay if your audience can recognize them as jokes, find them funny, and not be offended. It's never that someone "can't take a joke," it's always just that you're a bad comedian.
  • Furthermore, there is no such thing as intent, there is only such thing as art. It's like "do or do not there is no try;" you either make an offensive joke or don't, what you were trying to do is irrelevant.
    That is option A for that joke, option B is for the people go "I don't know" and get hit with the stupidity slap.

• edited June 2012
    And at the same time, I can't tolerate people who, when someone takes offense to a joke, blames the person being offended. Saying "you can't take a joke" is tantamount to saying "I don't care or respect your feelings, and therefore I have no responsibility for saying something that you find hurtful."

It's not your choice whether something that you say offends anybody, and it's certainly not their fault if something you said is offensive - it's yours, for not realizing (or just not caring) that it would offend them. When someone is offended, I would say that you have a definite moral responsibility to apologize and to not offend them again in the future.
    Nope, sorry, this is soccer-mom-style "Oh God think of the children!" style thinking, and it's a fallacy. "Not being offended" is not a basic natural right. If you find me offensive, then we should probably avoid each other, because I'm not likely to tip-toe around you.

There's a difference between common courtesy and sensitivity, and walking on egg-shells trying to avoid offending any of the millions of disparate people with conflicting value systems, trigger words, traumatic experiences, and so on, in the world. Not my problem. As the offended party, it certainly is your responsibility to deal with it, whether that be making a case to the offender to try and sway his/her viewpoint, voting in civic elections, petitioning the government, your school, your organization, whatever. The onus is on the offended party based on flat-out common sense.

It's easier to wear slippers than to carpet the world.

Post edited by muppet on