This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Digital SLR Cameras

edited June 2008 in Everything Else
I'm strongly considering buying a DSLR Camera. I have been doing a lot of research and I think I am ready to take some of my summer pay to buy this one. It is a Pentax k200D 10.2 megapixel with in body anti-shake. There is also a $100 rebate on it until July 26. Does anyone have any experience with DSLRs or Pentax?

Also it appears that the camera is listed on amazon twice. One from a third party, the other is sold directly through Amazon. The third party one is a hair cheaper, who should I buy through?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    I'm in the market for an SLR now as well. Personally I think you're better off going with Canon or Nikon. They have cameras in the same price range, and they have the edge in range of lenses (and usually image quality). Lenses are the real investment when it comes to a DSLR. That being said, these days you can't really get a bad DSLR.

Even if you're going to buy online, I recommend you go to a store first and see how it fits in your hand.

If the third party has good feedback, I don't see why not. Though I'd probably go through Amazon.
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • edited June 2008
    I don't know shit about cameras, but from what I've seen, everyone with a DSLR is all about Canon or Nikon.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Pentax is a well respected brand, just a little more obscure. The k200d will accept any Pentax lens, which are quite cheap on ebay. I also like the fact that the k200d is weather resistant and has anti-shake built into the body of the camera so that any lens benefits from it, rather then having to buy special, more expensive lenses for either Canon or Nikon.

My other top choice is a Nikon, either a D60 or a D80. What brands/models are you looking at?
  • After we get out puppies in the Fall/Early Winter, I am going to start saving for a DSLR Camera, probably a Nikon, but I will have to see what makes, models, and deals are available at the time. (Puppies first, though! ^_^)
  • Before deciding what to buy do a search on flickr for photographs taken with that camera. This will give you a general idea of the quality the camera delivers. Be sure to look not only at the professional flickr members but also the amateurs. A well trained photographer can make digital images look better while the amateur shots give you a good baseline for what the camera can do.
  • I'm looking at a Canon XSI personally, but choosing between Canon and Nikon seems more a personal choice than anything. I prefer having the antishake in the lens because when the lens is fast enough you don't need stabilisation, plus any kit lens you buy with a Canon will have that. Also, the cheaper third party Canon/Nikon lenses also will usually have the antishake.

If you're going for Nikon the D60 doesn't have an internal austofocus motor, so if you don't want to be stuck with newer lenses for autofocus go with the D80.

Seeing examples is always good but know that you will have features and limitations no matter which camera you buy, its all a matter of adapting to them.
  • Sorry to hijack this topic but can anyone tell me of their experiences with bridge cameras?
  • No personal experience, but they look to be a good alternative for someone who would otherwise just buy a DSLR with a kit lens and never change it. Which is good for half the price.
  • Ok, for starters, Pentax is a really good brand, but I've only used the SLR models (AKA the ones that work with film).

Now, amongst the recommendations, Nikon is really good, but more expensive, also has less lens compatibility, Canon on the other hand is cheaper and has a wide variety of lenses to choose from, not only brand named ones, but others, like Sigmas.

I'm pretty sure you can get a Rebel for about the same price.

Now, as far as bridge cameras, get a DSLR because you'll find yourself wanting another lens and not be able to change it, they are about the same size.
  • Gah, Rebel, I hate that name. Minus points to Canon for branding their cameras like its the '80s.
  • Gah, Rebel, I hate that name. Minus points to Canon for branding their cameras like its the '80s.
    Hate the name all you want, you still have to admit that its a really decent amateur camera for the price.
  • I tried a good number of cameras last year and settled on the Canon EOS 400D, which I think is the same camera as the Rebel. You really can't go wrong with it for a first DSLR. Just get yourself the cheapest portrait lens right away for any photos inside or in low light conditions, and rig some paper in front of the pop up flash to bounce light off walls rather than directly onto your subject. You'll immediately take better photos that way.
  • Hate the name all you want, you still have to admit that its a really decent amateur camera for the price.
    But of course. Its the camera I'm going to get. Luckily I don't have to worry about the Rebel branding.

BTW,
    EOS 400D = Rebel XTi
    EOS 450D = Rebel XSI
  • Ok, for starters, Pentax is a really good brand, but I've only used the SLR models (AKA the ones that work with film).
    How did you find their lenses? Were you able to find a good variety?

I am still very much for the Pentax. $568 is a heck of a price for a camera and lens. I also really like the fact that it is weather sealed. I love shooting outside, especially in the snow. Decisions, decisions.
    How did you find their lenses? Were you able to find a good variety?

I am still very much for the Pentax. $568 is a heck of a price for a camera and lens. I also really like the fact that it is weather sealed. I love shooting outside, especially in the snow. Decisions, decisions.
    You can probably fit any Sigma lens on that body
  • edited June 2008
    There are a couple of things about getting a DSLR you should consider. If you are serious about making this a long term hobby, you should go for a manufacturer that has a good selection of lenses. This is why Nikon and Canon are so popular. Also you may want to look at whether older lenses will fit on recent cameras and whether the manufacturer is committed to making bodies that will fit current lenses. All this is because, especially with DSLRs, the lens of your camera is the more important component and also the more expensive one.

Think about it this way: The body is basically just electronics which, as almost all things electronic, becomes exponentially cheaper over time. That $1000+ Nikon D300 will be available for $500 in a couple of years (or rather a cheaper Dxx series camera with the same feature set will be, see, e.g., D200 -> D80). The lens however contains mostly precision optics which will not become significantly cheaper to manufacture. A $1000 lens today will be a $1000 lens in five to ten years if you can still get bodies that will take the lens.

The bottom line is that, regardless of whether you are just testing the waters or are already committed, you should first buy a very cheap body, preferably from Nikon or Canon (e.g. Nikon D40/D60, Canon 1000D/400D) and a good wide angle lens (F2.8 or better, and wide angle will be better for shooting inside as well). Avoid buying a kit (body + lens) because they always include a sub standard lens.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited June 2008
    Avoid buying a kit (body + lens) because they always include a sub standard lens.
    Sometimes you can buy a camera body and lens for under 50 dollars more than the body itself. In this case, you might as well get the kit lens because, while it is a piece of shit, it is a more versatile than any other 50 dollar lens.

However, ANY other lens you buy for your DSLR will produce FAR better quality photos than the kit lens. Even the cheapest second hand 50 dollar prime lens has better optics.

When I worked for a TV company I'd work with cameras with lenses that cost about 40,000 dollars. The camera bodies were interchangeable, it was the lens that made all the difference.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Also, while the kit lens may not be the best, it is still better than having no lens and can make a good backup.
  • edited June 2008
    The rule of thumb regarding Canon/Nikon is that Canon (supposedly) has slightly better image quality, whereas Nikon has more lenses available. Also, the Nikon D40 is a piece of crap. I would recommend either the D50, D60, or D80. (That D60 is one sexy beast)

The D50, the camera I have, is a good older-model nikon. It's only 6 or so megapixels, but it makes up for it in image quality, lenses, and price (you can use just about any old nikon lens). The D80 is the improvement on the old D70 (which is still a good camera), and the D60 is the newest, all-around-awesome one.

Also, the D50/D70 kit lens isn't too shabby, for the price. It's fine for general shooting.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • The rule of thumb regarding Canon/Nikon is that Canon (supposedly) has slightly better image quality, whereas Nikon has more lenses available. Also, the Nikon D40 is a piece of crap. I would recommend either the D50, D60, or D80. (That D60 is one sexy beast)

The D50, the camera I have, is a good older-model nikon. It's only 6 or so megapixels, but it makes up for it in image quality, lenses, and price (you can use just about any old nikon lens). The D80 is the improvement on the old D70 (which is still a good camera), and the D60 is the newest, all-around-awesome one.

Also, the D50/D70 kit lens isn't too shabby, for the price. It's fine for general shooting.
    I think you got it the other way around, there are more lenses for canon than for nikon, because nikon cameras only accept nikon lenses canon on the other hand has compatibility with other brands and older lenses. Also, I think that nikon has better electronics thus providing with a better image.
  • Hmm. That's what I've heard from various photographers. I believe it's based on this:
    Most Nikon camera and lenses made since 1959 are compatible with each other.
    Canon flushed compatibility down the toilet in 1985 when it created a new and completely incompatible system of AF cameras and lenses called EOS. Nothing works together before or after the great divide of 1985.
  • I forgot, unlike most tech, lenses keep for quite a long time, don't they?
  • edited June 2008
    I forgot, unlike most tech, lenses keep for quite a long time, don't they?
    Yeah, I have a 1970's TLR Mamiya (C220) with 3 sets of lenses, all of which still work as if they were new, just have to keep them in a dry place (mold and other nasty fungi are the worst enemies of a lens), mist inside the lens can mean you lost your lens, also, keep away from sand. Taking good care of them, will make them last forever.
    Hmm. That's what I've heard from various photographers. I believe it's based onthis:
    Most Nikon camera and lenses made since 1959 are compatible with each other.
    Canon flushed compatibility down the toilet in 1985 when it created a new and completely incompatible system of AF cameras and lenses called EOS. Nothing works together before or after the great divide of 1985.
    Lol, Ken Rockwell... Well, a friends old canon lenses fit my rebel perfectly, the only thing is that the auto-focus doesn't work. Second of all, again, I don't think our friend here is going to buy a 1982 $1000 lens, he is probably going to buy a more accessible new one, so again, Canon has more compatibility with other brands other than Canon, where as Nikon, basically only uses Nikon lenses or other really expensive brand ones, I believe sigma also makes lenses for Nikons now, so maybe you can get cheap good lenses for your camera. Either way, he who looks finds, you'll probably find expensive Canon lenses as well as cheap Nikon ones.

It really boils down to personal preference, as someone said before, buy either and you won't really regret it both brands are good, so buy the one you like.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited June 2008
    Canon has more compatibility with other brands other than Canon, where as Nikon, basically only uses Nikon lenses or other really expensive brand ones
    And what do you base this on? What other brands, exactly, fit a Canon (that don't fit a Nikon)?

There are three companies, Tamron, Tokina and Sigma, that make a large selection of lenses each available for both Canon and Nikon. Lensbabies make speciality lenses, again for both. Note that these are all manufacturers of lenses not DSRL (or SRL for that matter) bodies.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Canon has more compatibility with other brands other than Canon, where as Nikon, basically only uses Nikon lenses or other really expensive brand ones
    And what do you base this on? What other brands, exactly, fit a Canon (that don't fit a Nikon)?

There are three companies, Tamron, Tokina and Sigma, that make a large selection of lenses each available for both Canon and Nikon. Lensbabies make speciality lenses, again for both. Note that these are all manufacturers of lenses not DSRL (or SRL for that matter) bodies.
    Going now into their websites, you are totally correct, in fact it seems that sigma makes 2 or 3 lenses exclusively for the Nikon bodies.

I was talking out of personal experience, guess the market down here tilted for Canons instead of Nikon, as it's really hard to find a cheap Nikon lens or a 3rd party one and due to customs and taxes, its not worth buying them online as you end up paying like 40% over the regular price.

So I'll say it again, both brands are good, buy the one you like, it boils down to personal preference. I have a Canon, it hasn't given me any problems, and if it got stolen or damaged, I'd buy another.
  • I agree, both are superb companies. I personally use Nikon because that is what I was introduced to (by a photographer friend). I've used the cheap Canon DSLR (I don't know the name off the top of my head), and had a mediocre experience with some of its functions (which didn't detract from the pictures themselves). Canons and Nikons have buttons and menus in different places, so choose whichever one you feel most comfortable with.

And always try out a camera/lens before you buy it.
  • I am probably going to buy myself a DSLR camera, since my 16 year-old Olympus film SLR isn't really cutting it. My absolute limit is 450€ (about $600).

Any advice? Have things changed over the course of a year?

My top choice at the moment is the Nikon D60.
  • edited June 2009
    I am probably going to buy myself a DSLR camera, since my 16 year-old Olympus film SLR isn't really cutting it. My absolute limit is 450€ (about $600).

Any advice? Have things changed over the course of a year?

My top choice at the moment is the Nikon D60.
    I don't know much, but here is one thing I do know. You are looking to save money, and your price of $600 I know is very low for a DSLR. The thing is, the big price on most of these things is the lenses. So your first order of business is to find a DSLR that is compatible with the lenses for the olympus you already have. That will save you a ton.

The second thing I would suggest is to try to buy one used. There are plenty of DSLR photo nuts out there. They keep buying the latest and greatest, and selling off their old ones. Like I said, the real expensive part is the lenses. Thus, these people can sell their old cameras and upgrade to the newer versions at not so much cost. They just keep using the same lenses from camera to camera. This helps you because you can probably get a better camera than you would otherwise be able to afford by purchasing a used one.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So your first order of business is to find a DSLR that is compatible with the lenses for the olympus you already have.
    Sadly my Olympus lens isn't removable:

• If you don't have any "brand baggage" from old lenses then your best option is Nikon or Canon, don't believe anyone who tells you that one of those is better than the other, they are both good SLR brands with reliable and proven lens portability, which as Scott already pointed out, is what really matters. Go into a store and try out the ergonomics of different models, in your rice range features sets are pretty universal so the way the camera fits in your hand, the accessibility of menus and dials may as well be your deciding factor.

The hard limit you gave is about the price of a decent lens so unless you get the camera body for free you shouldn't try to squeeze a good lens into the package, the stock lenses that are bundled with e.g. the D60 will do just fine for the time being. If you later decide to spend more money on your hobby you can get a really good lens for about €400 and add it to your setup.