This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Japanese language and customs have you learned from watching anime?

13»

Comments

• yammate!
    Yamete? Stop?
  • edited March 2009
    Unchi! (Poop!)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I learned that if you scream loud and long enough, you turn blonde and can fly. Also, most anime families have single or no parents. Which means it really sucks to be the parent.
  • Interesting cultural note: One of the most pressing concerns in Japanese society is that the population is declining and getting older. Due in part to both the children of the baby boom generation reaching old age around now and a shrinking birthrate.
  • Interesting cultural note: One of the most pressing concerns in Japanese society is that the population is declining and getting older. Due in part to both the children of the baby boom generation reaching old age around now and a shrinking birthrate.
    They could just loosen their immigration policies specifically targeted toward bringing in young families.
  • yammate!
    Yamete? Stop?
    Yes, that's what I meant. Spelling is not my strong suit.
  • They could just loosen their immigration policies specifically targeted toward bringing in young families.
    Japan also has some pretty serious problems with immigrant labor. That's just what I hear on TPR but I could go look it up further for you.
  • edited March 2009
    See, with Japan, it's either let them fur'nurs in, or make robots...And so they are trying to make robots to take care of the old people.

Japan is super squeamish about letting a slew of gaijin in. Actually, every country is, but some more than others. The US has always had a complicated stance on this. One one hand it's "Give me your huddled masses yearning to breath free" and on the other it's "Well, except for all those Chinese/Mexicans/insert nationality here." That gap between the American ideal and the laws passed is sometimes quite hypocritical.

Japan is basically going through its own "yellow peril" debate at the moment. It's my hope that they will relax the immigration laws, but then people will have to get used to living the melting pot lifestyle.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • One other thing of note: To get a driving license in Japan as a foreigner, you have to prove you've been driving for a period of months before coming to the country. Found that out on Planet Japan.
  • edited March 2009
    See, with Japan, it's either let them fur'nurs in, or make robots...And so they are trying to make robots to take care of the old people.
    If the problem is an anticipated lowered population and current low birthrate, how do robots help?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited March 2009
    Replacements. It's going to be a long time before that really becomes useful outside places like warehouses.
    Also: Japan treats it's workers really shiftily. As in: Europe --> America ----> Japan.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If the problem is an anticipated lowered population and current low birthrate, how do robots help?
    I read this article about robots doing menial labor and taking care of old people, like robo-nurse.
  • If the problem is an anticipated lowered population and current low birthrate, how do robots help?
    I read this article about robots doing menial labor and taking care of old people, like robo-nurse.
    Like Roujin Z?
  • Like Roujin Z?
    Oh noes!

Actually, this is an issue that Shiro covers at length in stories like Roujin Z and Ghost in the Shell.
  • edited March 2009
    If the problem is an anticipated lowered population and current low birthrate, how do robots help?
    But the problem isn't just a shortage of nurses, it is a diminishing workforce and consumer base overall to keep the economy going.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I don't know. Maybe the robots make up much of the workforce and the consumers buy robots? *shrug*
  • I don't know. Maybe the robots make up much of the workforce and the consumers buy robots? *shrug*
    Yeah, once your job is replaced by a robot, that leaves a lot of capital available to buy a robot for yourself. ^_~

They just need to make more adorable babies or invite some breeders in.
  • It was a joke.
    They just need to make more adorable babies or invite some breeders in.
    See, gaijin solve both problems! Half asian kids are often very cute!
  • You have to stop them being so institutionalized first.
  • Actually I have tell one thing learning japanese with anime is very great experienced. I will definitely suggest to the newbie, if you wanna learn japanese then go through the japanese anime it will very easy to you. While with japanese anime I have learn kanji.
  • わかりません! わかりません!
  • 愛をとりもどせるんだ!
    I've learned that the world sucks till we blow up Tokyo. Then they'll make Neo Tokyo with giant robots of awesome.
    お前はもう死んだ
    And I've learned that every doctor ever sucks, and they could learn a thing or two from BlackJack.
  • And I've learned that every doctor ever sucks, and they could learn a thing or two from BlackJack.
    Corollary: No medical doctor is good at his job unless he's unlicensed. This is one of Tezuka's Greater Laws of Anime and Manga.
  • Kikaricho (or something like that) = Chief
  • edited January 2011
    One other thing of note: To get a driving license in Japan as a foreigner, you have to prove you've been driving for a period of months before coming to the country. Found that out on Planet Japan.
    Months? Haha, I've been driving for 6+ years.

I learned that the biggest and toughest guys have a secret love of small animals and karaoke.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Japanese couples refer to eachother as siblings during sex.