This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite words

13»

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Having just seen it again in my readings, irascibility.

EDIT: Also, obsequious.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Verisimillitude. The meaning is just as awesome as the pronunciation.
  • edited March 2010
    Does Latin count? If yes, then I put out these two words, just because of their phonaesthetic qualities.

Murmuribus
    appropinquabant
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • If Latin does indeed count, then:
    Quantuluscumque, which means "Very little."
    The irony should be fairly obvious.
  • Same case as in hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the fear of long words.
  • Same case as in hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the fear of long words.
    Ha, that's freaking awesome.
  • Any word that I learn from Penny Arcade tends to become a new favorite.

Raconteur I believe was the most recent.

• I love a lot of the names for wrestling moves, particularly the ones that come from Lucha Libre like rudo, technico, hurricanrana and, tope con hilo, but I think my favorite has to be from Japanese wrestling: Lariato!
  • It's fun saying ciabatta (that pronounced "chibata", not "seeyabata").
  • It's fun saying ciabatta (that pronounced "chibata", not "seeyabata").
    A friend of mine used to run this ball-tearingly awesome cafe in Hyde park corner, and I'd hang about there a lot, often, you'd get hippies, hipsters, and posh sorts coming in and putting all sorts of wierd stresses, accents and such on "SeeYaBata" only to have Him look at them funny and say in his thick Scouse accent "So, that'll be (xyz sarnie fillings) on a fresh CHIBATA then?"
    Cracked me up every time.
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
    Buttscratcher?
  • RUMSPRINGA!!!
    Buttscratcher?
    It's when Amish kids dress "English," get addicted to Meth, and choose whether or not to stay in the church. It's derived from Pennsylvanian German to mean "running around."
  • Sphygmomanometer. A word that looks so complicated that is actually something so simple that is used the medical field everyday.
  • edited April 2010
    Much like electroencephalograph.

I keep saying "Robolationship" to myself and laughing..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Dickular. This is a word that my coworker Shelly invented one day, in response to the FDA sending us a round of PT samples wherein 7/8 of the samples were positive for each of the three main pathogens for which we screen.
  • Much like electroencephalograph.
    I've had the misfortune of sitting through one of these! It's all the joy that only self-imposed sleep deprivation followed by blasting one's eyes with various strobe frequencies can bring.
    I keep saying "Robolationship" to myself and laughing..
    You goddamn robosexuals are disgusting.
  • You goddamn robosexuals are disgusting.
    ROBOTS SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO LOVE ROBOTS!
  • edited April 2010
    "Living our lives as we love through our lies." from Heartflusters by MaybeSheWill
  • edited November 2010
    "Detonate" is a pretty fine word. As is "Sincerious.".
  • Pusillanimous is an awesome word.