This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekRooms

Comments

• My room's been cleaned up and un-geeked a bit due to my manga and stuff now being shelved elsewhere:

• @Sail-That Canti figure is win.
  • edited October 2009
    Axel- I owned five of those Lego sets when I was younger.
    Post edited by Admiral Hotcakes on
  • Axel- I owned five of those Lego sets when I was younger.
    Bionicle was the shiz, back in the day. But the point where I stopped buying them was the point when the plot got stupid.
  • Axel- I owned five of those Lego sets when I was younger.
    Wow, I sprouted another gray hair just now.
  • Bionicle was the shiz, back in the day. But the point where I stopped buying them was the point when the plot got stupid.
    The fact that you can refer to Bionicle as "Back in the day" just made me join Whaleshark in his grey-hair-sprouting.
  • edited October 2009
    When I saw the picture of Axel's Bionicle models, I realized that those are the Lego sets he probably knew as a child. Bionicle was the thing that I used to mark the passing of all good things in the world of Lego, the thing that told me that my childhood was officially gone and was slowly being replaced by a cheap facsimile.

I miss my knights and orange transparent chainsaws. :(
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • When I saw the picture of Axel's Bionicle models, I realized that those are the Lego sets he probably knew as a child. Bionicle was the thing that I used to mark the passing of all good things in the world of Lego, the thing that told me that my childhood was officially gone and was slowly being replaced by a cheap facsimile.

I miss my knights and orange transparent chainsaws. :(
    I had regular LEGO's, too, don't worry. Bionicle wasn't my primary LEGO toys, I had many before Bionicle. But that was a part of my childhood that has passed, I'm sorry to make you feel old.
  • I miss my knights and orange transparent chainsaws.
    I remember the first lego set I ever had. It was a jumbo jet with a little towing truck and an airport firetruck. I also got the space shuttle with robotic arm about the same time. Oh Legos, I miss you.
    officially gone and was slowly being replaced by a cheap facsimile.
    I dunno, I picked up one of the new City sets a while back, and its a pretty decent return to form. Big, blocky buildings, lots of bricks and wheels, none of that articulated snap-together shit that Bionicle was pushing.

Lego Technics was pretty legit, though. I had a motorcycle with a Lego chain and gearbox that actually worked. I never managed to finish it; assembling plastic chain links is taxing for a child, even when you don't have ADD.
  • @Sail-That Canti figure is win.
    Thanks! There's a bit of a story behind it, but the short version is that my friend and I had been hunting it for years and finally found a dealer who had a bunch at AX this year.
    edited October 2009
    I feel like WhaleShark and Churba, and they're both older than me! Also, those bionicles had plot? LEGOs with plot?
    Post edited by ... on
  • I feel like WhaleShark and Churba, and they're both older than me! Also, those bionicles had plot? LEGOs with plot?
    The plot was semi-interesting for a year or two, but then got stupid.
    The plot was in the form of comics that were released with the LEGO magazine.
    @Sail-That Canti figure is win.
    Thanks! There's a bit of a story behind it, but the short version is that my friend and I had been hunting it for years and finally found a dealer who had a bunch at AX this year.
    That's cool. I think I saw a similar one at my city's local (read: only) anime store, but it was gone before I ever had enough money to get it. I always wanted it though.
  • The plot was semi-interesting for a year or two, but then got stupid.
    Dude, it's LEGO. You're lucky to get a story more complex than "Holy stuttering fuck, Pirates and spacemen are awesome. I bet you want some of that, don't you?"
  • Anyone have the Lego submarine models? Those kicked ASS.
  • The plot was semi-interesting for a year or two, but then got stupid.
    Dude, it's LEGO. You're lucky to get a story more complex than "Holy stuttering fuck, Pirates and spacemen are awesome. I bet you want some of that, don't you?"
    I know. But I would've preferred the story to stop and the figures to actually be cool than the story to become cliched and boring, and therefore making the models boring as well.
  • Micro Machines fuck yeah!
    Anyone? no?
  • edited October 2009
    Micro Machines fuck yeah!
    I had that building you pushed down, whereupon the entire spring-loaded thing popped up and became a multistory missile base. One of my favorite toys ever. I should dig around and see if I can find it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Anyone? no?
    I posted something about Construx a while back. I had a shitload of them when I was a kid, and I never met anyone who'd heard of them. They were awesome.
  • I also had big-time Construx.
  • I was into K'Nex and I owned the Hyperspace Training Tower
  • Anyone have the Lego submarine models? Those kicked ASS.
    I have a small coral reef with a whale skeleton on the bottom of the sea, sharks, stingrays, a diving pod and a small one-person submarine with a camera. All this is carried on a simple boat, the boat has a wrench and a fishing rod. It also has a röntgen scanner.
    I know. But I would've preferred the story to stop and the figures to actually be cool than the story to become cliched and boring, and therefore making the models boring as well.
    And this is why bionicles sucked from the start. It needed something beyond "IT'S LEGO!"
  • I know. But I would've preferred the story to stop and the figures to actually be cool than the story to become cliched and boring, and therefore making the models boring as well.
    And this is why bionicles sucked from the start. It needed something beyond "IT'S LEGO!"
    It actually did have something beyond that from the start. The story was cool, at least I thought so. But then they had a story arc that was literally a 2-3 year flashback...Yeah...Mesa no likey the flashbacks. Then they started using Green Day songs to advertise...That just bothered me.
  • Hey guys, remember ERECTOR sets? I feel old now.

And, yes, MicroMachines were awesome. Remember Star Trek ones?
  • Hey guys, remember ERECTOR sets? I feel old now.
    I have this erector set at my parent's house.
  • I was into K'Nex and I owned the Hyperspace Training Tower
    That was easily one of my favorite toys growing up. I had plenty of Legos too, as well as one Erector set. If I had the space in my apartment, I'd consider getting back into those hobbies.
  • I never had the patience for Erector sets. Too much screwing in of things.

What really makes me feel old is knowing that I'll never see those "ripoff of Indiana Jones" Lego sets again.
  • I never had the patience for Erector sets. Too much screwing in of things.

What really makes me feel old is knowing that I'll never see those "ripoff of Indiana Jones" Lego sets again.
    I had one of those! With the blimp! Aw man, that was great...
  • Just hung up my signed Scott Pilgrim print I got yesterday.

• That's really cool. You can feel Street Fighter oozing off it.