This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tips for guys with long hair?

edited October 2008 in Everything Else
Long ago, I decided that I was going to grow out my hair. It has gotten longer, and even though it's still not nearly as long as I want it, I want to know some tips on managing long hair. I keep pretty good care of my hair, and use Head & Shoulders 2n1 Dry Scalp Sare shampoo and conditioner, because I'll get dandruff at different, dryer times of the year. Any recommendations on tips and any related anecdotes?

Comments

• Be awesome, that is all.
  • Step 1: Learn to play an electric guitar or bass guitar; to sing; or to scream/growl

Step 2: Join a metal band

Step 3: Do this:

Step 4: Profit
  • Cut it you dirty hippie.
  • Step 3: Do this:
    God, did I already mention I laughed my ass off when I saw that video you posted in the Motivational Songs thread? It looks stupid, it always has, but 4 guys in sync make it hilariously stupid! Kinda like Code Geass.

@Funfetus, boo, it's awesome having longer hair. Though watch out for your mom threatening to make a pony tail out of it when you don't want it.
  • @Funfetus, boo, it's awesome having longer hair. Though watch out for your mom threatening to make a pony tail out of it when you don't want it.
    I personally find it much more awesome having hair that I only have to think about once every couple of months, when I spend 10 minutes shaving it off. However, I have spent a significant portion of my life with a mohawk, dying it ungodly colors and sticking it up with ungodly substances, so I'm really not one to criticize anyone else's hair choices.
  • Step 3: Do this:
    God, did I already mention I laughed my ass off when I saw that video you posted in the Motivational Songs thread? It looks stupid, it always has, but 4 guys in sync make it hilariously stupid!
    Of course it looks stupid, that's the point. But I'll tell you what, when you're on the pit floor, seeing Amon Amarth live, with 500 people, and they start doing that, it becomes a lot less stupid.
  • edited October 2008
    Cut it you dirty hippie.
    No! Stop that! This world needs more guys with the beauty-hair~!

As far as advice, I can only tell you to Brush! Your! Hair! Every day, whenever it is tangled. Also, whatever Rym may say, make sure if you use a hair gel or product that your hair is brushed nicely into the desired style, not slicked back with a comb and stuck together in gobs. Also: I find alternating shampoos keeps my hair healthier. So, in your case do it like this: Anti-oil Shampoo, next day Shiny Goodness shampoo (I like the combination of Burt's Bees products. They really make my hair shiny and soft.) and then back again. Actually, using the same anti-dandruff shampoo for too long can irritate your scalp. Also: Never underestimate the power of a good hair cut. Not chopping it off, but getting a trim every once in a while. There are many references for guys with long hair on the internet (Mostly Asian styles, but oh well.)
    Post edited by gomidog on
    Seconded. There's a barber down the street. Get a shave too.
  • edited October 2008
    Most important advice it is possible to give someone wanting to grow their hair long:
    Do not listen to people who tell you to cut it off.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Most important advice it is possible to give someone wanting to grow their hair long:
    Unless it starts thinning. The key with long hair is knowing when it's time to let it go. Skullets are not cool, unless you're Devin Townsend. And even he recently cut his off.
  • Most important advice it is possible to give someone wanting to grow their hair long:
    Unless you decide to have a mullet. Bleh!
    Seconded. There's a barber down the street. Get a shave too.
    Thirded. I had long hair until I realized that I would save a ton of time and money by just shaving it.
  • Limit blow drying your hair. Stop using a 2 in 1, while they clean well, the do not condition as well. I know your agenda is to grow it long, but make sure you go for trims as it grows to cut off dead ends. Avoid hair sprays and gels, use cream waxes instead (the alcohol in most hair sprays and gels dry out the hair which can weaken it). Do not use any of the following styles of combs and brushes as they will break the hair:
    Get a brush with bristles that are far apart and firm with a small ball on the end, like this:
    Also, if you do not have oily hair, only shampoo and condition it every other day.
  • Find a girl who has long hair similar to yours in nature, ask them what they do.
  • Do not use any of the following styles of combs and brushes as they will break the hair:
    I have that brush! Though in green. The brush type you suggest is horrendous though. Hate that thing.
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, I heard about trimming it every once in a while. By the way, I didn't mean a 2-in-1 as in shampoo and conditioner combined, I wash with the shampoo, wash it out, and then do the same with the conditioner. The only real problem is that it takes a long time to wash out the all the conditioner. I don't really ever blow dry my hair either, because it can dry it out a little too much sometimes, especially in the winter. Thanks for the advice! I have some other stuff like V05, and Paul Mitchell, so I'll change it up some. ^_^

EDIT: I'd imagine it would take a lot longer to wash and condition your hair in the when its longer, so how long does it usually take for some of you guys? It takes a while just to wash out all the conditioner for me. Also, the length I'm talking about is below the shoulders, if it matters much.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • My hair is about 4 inches below my shoulders and I swear by a natural bristle brush and use this stuff to wash my hair with a couple of times a week. Don't use anything with alcohol or ammonia in it - that stuff dries out your hair and scalp. Wen is expensive but worth every penny. If used as described and bought in bulk it is about the same cost as regular shampoo.
    Quoted for truth. I've definitely been regretting my most recent cut. For the first few days I even had phantom hair syndrome. :P
  • edited October 2008
    Thirded. I had long hair until I realized that I would save a ton of time and money by just shaving it.
    Growing your hair saves money on hair cuts, though. Unless you're talking about shaving it all off and doing it yourself...which is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.

/grows his hair as long as his job permits him (Which is quite short, unfortunately)
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • If you are going to get your hair cut, make sure it is over 10 inches long so you can donate it to Locks of Love.
  • My hair is also about 4 inches below my shoulders. I usually shampoo it every other day. Recently, I ran out of the 2-in-1 stuff and started doing the shampoo and conditioner separately. It's made a huge difference. I never blow dry it or put anything in it, though I wouldn't know what or how much to use.

Every once in a while I empty the hairs from off my brush. Does my hair grow faster than the rate at which I lose it?
  • Every once in a while I empty the hairs from off my brush. Does my hair grow faster than the rate at which I lose it?
    If it's still getting longer, yes. There's a sort of terminal length at which the rate of growth equals the rate of falling-out. Your hair is almost certainly not that long.
  • This is Uglyfred. I'm stealing Alex's computer.

Sneakernet - it might look like a lot of hair in that brush, but that's only because it's so long. You have millions, and I mean MILLIONS, of hairs on your head, so I wouldn't worry about hair loss unless it's coming out in big clumps, and frequently.

As for conditioning, my hair does better when I leave the conditioner in it for awhile. 5-15 minutes of it setting and your hair will feel sooo good and be easier to comb. Never use a brush when your hair is wet - that will only break it. A wide-toothed comb is best for after a shower.
  • A suggestion for those with super brittle hair: V05 has a rather inexpensive spray leave in conditioner that works miracles for de-tangling purposes.
  • You can do other things while you have the conditioner in, like scrubbing your body and washing your face. However, when I am in a hurry I put it in, wait a tiny bit, then wash it right out. Showers usually take me about 10-15 minutes.
  • Last time I had my hair cut was in Q1 2004...

*secretly working on scream vocals*
  • If you are going to get your hair cut, make sure it is over 10 inches long so you can donate it to Locks of Love.
    Fuck Locks of Love.
  • The only real problem is that it takes a long time to wash out the all the conditioner.
    If it takes that long to rinse out, you are putting too much on and possibly using a conditioner that is too thick. I would recommend only conditioning the ends, using less conditioner overall, and purchasing a conditioner that is advertised as "lightweight" or for fine hair.
  • The only real problem is that it takes a long time to wash out the all the conditioner.
    If it takes that long to rinse out, you are putting too much on and possibly using a conditioner that is too thick. I would recommend only conditioning the ends, using less conditioner overall, and purchasing a conditioner that is advertised as "lightweight" or for fine hair.
    If you are going to get your hair cut, make sure it is over 10 inches long so you can donate it to Locks of Love.
    Fuck Locks of Love.
    What the hell, HJ? What is your problem with locks of love? You can't just make a statement like that and not explain it.