This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Youtube video you have made

Comments

• Last night I did my first ever solo guitar gig, a very casual affair at Pola's latest exhibition opening at WerkStadt Berlin. It was the first time I've performed a solo set of my own music, and the first time I've done an entirely musical performance for over ten years.

I did two sets of fours songs. I thought I videoed both, but it seems only the second remained on my camera by the end of the night.

This is the first song of the second set, called Out Of My Mind, written in 2003.

I made sure the performance was low key, telling people to continue chatting while I play. Judging by audience reaction and comments afterward, the sets were quite successful. I hope to do more musical performances in Berlin in the future.
  • Two videos in one day! This one contains new a magnetic juggling machine.

Blurb from blog:

"HereÂ’s me workshopping some pattern ideas for a future juggling show. The full show will last for an hour and take place entirely in this small room.

The magnetic juggling machine is a very old idea, but I only got round to making it last year, and working on it this spring.

On April 17th, 2009 I filmed ten minutes of juggling and edited it on the train to Hannover Juggling Convention. "
  • This one contains new a magnetic juggling machine.
    Luke, you always put such a creative touch on juggling. Can't wait to see the final product!
  • 2 new ones I've made, and a Trine one I'm uploading now:

• Fingerpainting with my brother! http://ustre.am/44nn

• Click through to watch in full screen High-Def

Full Description plus Explanation of Strategy as posted with Youtube Video.
    So here is a recording I made of me quickly running through Deadfall Junction in my fully upgraded Teir 3 Lan Evo IX. Also, after the bump, is the recording of me doing the same thing in a Canyon Duel against Wolf.

Sprint:
    The key to this track is course knowledge. I had the effects set low to keep frame rates up, but if you were to run this course on normal settings, you would see that on the long downhill stretch before the first sharp corner, the other cars brake. Depending on your car, you might not need to; You don't on the Lan Evo. However, where the Lan Evo (or at least I) have problems with are the consecutive hairpin turns. Hitting the hand brake at the right moment will turn your car quickly, but you lose quite a bit of speed. However, If you keep practicing, you can beat any of the computer opponents handily. That wasn't even one of my better runs and I was at least a second and a half ahead without ever touching the nitro.

Canyon:
    You can see that I pass Wolf twice on the first run and that I begin to lose him several times on the second run. This is because of the same braking process I described above. In addition, Wolf favors a grip style rather than a mixed or drift style. In order to maintain optimal grip, he slows down a bit around any sort of turn. In a small car like the Lan Evo, this is where the advantage lies. As long as the corner isn't too sharp (like those horrid hairpins), you can easily close the gap or even pass him. In addition, for corners that have a long, straight lead up, and are wide around the turn, try tapping your handbrake rather than holding it. This will make your rear end stutter and make your slide a bit more controllable.

Here is my setup for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX in Need For Speed: Carbon.

All Performance Upgrades.
    Brake Bias all the way on the rear tires.
    All else Neutral.
  • Click through to watch in full screen High-Def
    You mean the 480p 'HD' feature of Youtube? Might want to check out your own video then. Saw it when you tweeted, I feel ashamed. You're all over the place, and still the opponents get nowhere near you. Please tell me you are playing with the keyboard and on easy difficulty.
  • No, I was on normal difficulty and, yes I use the keyboard. The only reason I was all over the place was because I wasn't used to the frame rate ticker in the bottom corner of the screen and it was distracting me. After the first race you can see that I was getting used to ignoring the frame rate meter because my race against Wolf was ( I think) a lot more composed.
  • normal difficulty
    As I said, easy.
    because my race against Wolf was ( I think) a lot more composed.
    You still were all over the place, no improvement if you ask me other than a (plausibly lucky) nice turn, but other than that, still everywhere and nowhere. Get a proper steering wheel and pedals if you're playing any racing simulator. It's just like flight sims, don't fucking use the keyboard, you'll suck forever. Also, showing off driving skill in NFS is, besides laughable, best done with just a time trail, no silly and shitty AI opponents. It's not like staying ahead of them by 1.5" is an achievement, they're easy and will remain some distance behind you no matter what you do, other than stop. Get a steering wheel, get the hang of using it, and actually show us this 'course knowledge'. You showed none of that, just badly reacting to the upcoming turn and radar spying.

Also, the NFS series went shit after Need For Speed 6: Hot Pursuit 2.
  • edited July 2009
    normal difficulty
    As I said, easy.
    No, Normal. You can call it easy if you like, but it's still the normal mode.
    because my race against Wolf was ( I think) a lot more composed.
    You still were all over the place, no improvement if you ask me other than a (plausibly lucky) nice turn, but other than that, still everywhere and nowhere. Get a proper steering wheel and pedals if you're playing any racing simulator. It's just like flight sims, don't fucking use the keyboard, you'll suck forever.
    Need For Speed isn't a driving simulator. It's a game. No one could delude themselves enough to say otherwise. You want a driving sim? Play Gran Turismo. And in that regard, while a steering wheel would be a good investment to play GT, you don't need one to play NFS. It's not worth the money.
    Also, showing off driving skill in NFS is, besides laughable, best done with just a time trail, no silly and shitty AI opponents. It's not like staying ahead of them by 1.5" is an achievement, they're easy and will remain some distance behind you no matter what you do, other than stop. Get a steering wheel, get the hang of using it, and actually show us this 'course knowledge'. You showed none of that, just badly reacting to the upcoming turn and radar spying.
    No, they wont stay behind you. As you can see in the second half of the video, when going against Wolf, he was actively and persistently trying to get past me, almost running me off the road in the process. I don't know what the last NFS game you played was, but the AI's wont cow down and just let you win. Also, if you read the whole video description, you will see that I clearly said that this was, by no means, my best run. And I would LOVE to do a time trial, but none of the games in the NFS franchise that I've played (Underground 2, Carbon, Undercover) have that capability.

Is there anything else you'd like to say?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I'm actually working on a L4D custom content video, complete with extras to sate the Lucky Star and K-ON fans... (+1 to you if you know what I'm actually referring to)
  • Need For Speed isn't a driving simulator. It's a game. No one could delude themselves enough to say otherwise. You want a driving sim? Play Gran Turismo.
    Jesus Christ. Simcity is a simulator game, The Sims is a simulator game, Flight Simulator is a simulator game, TAMAGOTCHI'S ARE FREAKING SIMULATORS! None of this 'deluding' bullshit, you're the one deluding himself if you don't think the NFS franchise is a racing simulator game franchise. Sure, Gran Turismo is a more realistic racing simulator game, but that doesn't undo the fact that the NFS franchise isn't ALSO a racing simulator game franchise. I never talked about realistic racing simulators, did I now? You're bloody insane with those thoughts. More realism only makes for a BETTER simulator.
    And in that regard, while a steering wheel would be a good investment to play GT, you don't need one to play NFS. It's not worth the money.
    You don't need one to play Gran Turismo either. I just makes for a better experience, and lessAnd besides, a good steering wheel costs as much, if not less, than a single one of those titles (new of course). Heck, when we bought our awesome steering wheel with force feedback half a decade ago it only cost a measly 80 euros or so.

Also:
    >good investment
    >game
    WHAHAHAHAHA, now you're just being ridiculous.
    No, they wont stay behind you.
    As I said, not when you stop.
    almost running me off the road in the process
    And by all means he would've ran you off the road if not for "Oh snaps, can't have him pass you", resulting in the AI just sticking behind you. The AI only poses a challenge because in your mind they're good, whilst all they do is be there and pose the risk of passing. They're just preprogrammed to finish the track in a set amount of time. They'll finish faster if you do better, getting an artificial speed boost to catch up (no, not nitro you numbnut) and pose a threat once more.
    Also, if you read the whole video description, you will see that I clearly said that this was, by no means, my best run.
    I did read the whole description, I did read your excuse. But as I said, I'm feeling ashamed, for no matter how you look at it, you're still flaunting with "look at me beating this track. I'm so good, I didn't even use nitro!", whilst you're all over the freaking course and display no skill at all. First thing I hoped for was that that was one of your worst runs ever.
    I don't know what the last NFS game you played was
    I own 3 through 7, and have seen Underground 2 and Most Wanted (iirc) in action.
    Is there anything else you'd like to say?
    You're freaking Victor "Sonic" Khaze, ladykiller and made of awesome. You can do better, why show off something so mediocre? Stop being silly!
  • What the hell kind of argument is this?
  • What the hell kind of argument is this?
    An argument involving Nineless. Suffice it to say: Mostly incomprehensible to anyone over the age of ten.
  • An argument involving Nineless. Suffice it to say: Mostly incomprehensible to anyone over the age of ten.
    Possibly a bit harsh, but makes complete sense, and is correct on all factual points. I don't see the problem.
  • An argument involving Nineless. Suffice it to say: Mostly incomprehensible to anyone over the age of ten.
    Possibly a bit harsh, but makes complete sense, and is correct on all factual points. I don't see the problem.
    The problem is that this "argument" boils down to just our personal opinions, which both of us will defend to the hilt, and is thus unendable.
    You're freaking Victor "Sonic" Khaze, ladykiller and made of awesome.
    I'll take that compliment, but, seriously, what the hell?
  • The problem is that this "argument" boils down to just our personal opinions, which both of us will defend to the hilt, and is thus unendable.
    Like I said, correct on all FACTUAL points.
    Simcity is a simulator game, The Sims is a simulator game, Flight Simulator is a simulator game, TAMAGOTCHI'S ARE FREAKING SIMULATORS!
    Correct.
    Gran Turismo is a more realistic racing simulator game
    Correct.
    You don't need one to play Gran Turismo either.
    Correct.
    Correct.
    I was refering to things like showing restraint, respecting other people's opinions and acting with responsibility. That kind of adult stuff.
  • edited July 2009
    An argument involving Nineless. Suffice it to say: Mostly incomprehensible to anyone over the age of ten.
    I was refering to things like showing restraint, respecting other people's opinions and acting with responsibility. That kind of adult stuff.
    In that case, put me in the same category.
    I rarely show restraint relative to most people, I only respect other people's opinions when I judge them worthy of respect(Not to disparage Sonic at all, I respect his opinion on this issue, I just mean in general), and if I acted with any sense of responsibility or indeed, any good sense at all, I'd have been in been back in Australia months ago.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wasn't in this category. I should have probably inserted "sufficient" or "befiting an adult" somewhere in there.
  • edited July 2009
    Correct.
    I ought to make personal business cards with that printed on it.
  • edited July 2009
    I ought to make personal business cards with that printed on it.
    You mean, like this?
    Also, you should learn to use it properly.

Edited because MOOcards wasn't letting me do a preview. Stupid moocards.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2009
    edit: motherfucker, Churba beat me to it.
    edit edit: Except his seems to have gone missing. :)
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • edit: motherfucker, Churba beat me to it.
    edit edit: Except his seems to have gone missing. :)
    I know, I edited the card and had to change the link. It's back now.
  • I'm still getting a 404.
  • I'm still getting a 404.
    Fixed with image.
  • Vic was very animate about the layout of this one business card that a guy at AX handed to us. I'll have to see if I can find it.
  • edited July 2009
    I still have it; I'm actually holding it right now. It's a nice card design (blue with a sketched sonic on it), but if I were to make a card with THAT epic of a title on it, it would have to be either black with white writing on it (like churba's) or white with gold embossed print. I'm not too fond of Funfetus's; It looks a bit crammed and I'm personally not too fond of having my picture on my card.
  • I'm personally not too fond of having my picture on my card.
    I should hope not. :)