This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Plane in the Hudson River

edited January 2009 in Everything Else
So a plane crashed in midtown, a few blocks from my work. It made a water landing, and everybody seems to have survived. It's a madhouse around here. There are, like, three ferries working on getting the people out of the freezing river.

Comments

• The CEO of the company that bought our company was on the plane, but he's fine. Freaky.
  • Weird. Did they get everyone safely to shore? The plane is under water now.
  • Sounds like it might have struck a bird.
    He called people on his phone, and said he was ok. Even if the plane sunk, there were boats, and I'm pretty sure he can swim. Hypothermia and losing the luggage is the worst.
    He called people on his phone, and said he was ok. Even if the plane sunk, there were boats, and I'm pretty sure he can swim. Hypothermia and losing the luggage is the worst.
    Ummm, Hypothermia can be REALLY bad :-p
  • According to the news everyone on the plane made it off safe and there are no life threatening injuries. That's pretty amazing.
  • edited January 2009
    Oh boy, are the conspiracy theorists going to have fun tomorrow. It is all tied to the milkman..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • From what a reporter said, emergency water landings are really hard to pull off, particularly with no casualties. Props to the pilot. Also, it was Canadian geese, from what I heard. I knew the Canadians would attack someday. Who knew that they could weaponize geese?
  • Oh boy, are the conspiracy theorists going to have fun tomorrow.It is all tied to the milkman..
    My money is on the little girls and their secret club.
  • The flight crew did an amazing job. I hope they get medals.

If I ever fly the airline they work for I'm going to try and get on the plane that they are on.
  • Definitely the Jews, the Canadian Jews.
  • From what a reporter said, emergency water landings are really hard to pull off, particularly with no casualties. Props to the pilot. Also, it was Canadian geese, from what I heard. I knew the Canadians would attack someday. Who knew that they could weaponize geese?
    If it didn't land perfectly strait and one wing hit before the other it would be disastrous. From what I saw conditions were really calm too and he is very lucky that the water wasn't rough.
  • I think there's a few people whose probation banners are a little outdated.
  • From what a reporter said, emergency water landings are really hard to pull off, particularly with no casualties.
    Oh no, Landing in water is easy to do, the hard bit is doing it in a survivable fashion.
    Props to the pilot.
    *Groans*
    The flight crew did an amazing job. I hope they get medals.
    Cabin crew, also - people are focusing on the pilots, but without the cabin crew, all they would have achieved is a brilliantly executed water landing and cabin full of soggy drowned corpses.
    If it didn't land perfectly strait and one wing hit before the other it would be disastrous.
    Ethiopian airlines flight 961 is a clear example of how bad a water landing can go - Left wing hits the water first, and as soon as the engine hits, it acted like a giant scoop/brake, and it was all over, red rover. Astoundingly, most passengers survived the initial impact, but most died when they disregarded warnings not to open their life jackets inside the plane, and drowned, held to the ceiling of the fuselage by their vests. Approximately 70 people drowned still strapped in their seats.
    And, as you have probably seen from the famous video, It happened less than 500 Meters from the shore.
  • From what a reporter said, emergency water landings are really hard to pull off, particularly with no casualties.
    Oh no, Landing in water is easy to do, the hard bit is doing it in a survivable fashion.
    Props to the pilot.
    *Groans*
    Wow, do you have a bug in your butt? Just because someone rightly compliments the pilot does not mean they are insulting the cabin crew. Everyone from the pilots, the cabin crew, the passengers, the rescue teams and ferry operators deserve compliments. Also, of the pilot hadn't landed well, the cabin crew wouldn't even be able to have done their job, so let recognize the feat of skill that made it possible for them to even survive.
  • Wow, do you have a bug in your butt? Just because someone rightly compliments the pilot does not mean they are insulting the cabin crew. Everyone from the pilots, the cabin crew, the passengers, the rescue teams and ferry operators deserve compliments. Also, of the pilot hadn't landed well, the cabin crew wouldn't even be able to have done their job, so let recognize the feat of skill that made it possible for them to even survive.
    I was groaning about the (I assume) unintentional pun of giving props to pilots.

Also, you cannot confidently predict the results of a less skillful landing. Again, look at Ethiopia Flight 961 - A horrible landing, tore the plane apart, but most people survived the impact - most died of drowning by ignoring the warnings of the crew not to inflate life jackets till they were out of the craft. Approximately 70 died where they sat because they could not open their seatbelts.

The pilots made an extremely skillful landing under adverse conditions. They did as they were trained to do, and didn't crack with the pressure, and deserve every accolade that can possibly be given. They performed practically perfectly under the circumstances - the only critique I can think of from a professional perspective is that I question his decision to re-enter the aircraft.
    Arghhh, they're Canada Geese, not Canadian Geese. >_< But still...I knew it. I knew it all along. What's the one thing that won't be subject to a random search before it gets to travel in our air space? Birds. Clever, clever Canadians.
    Arghhh, they're Canada Geese, not Canadian Geese. >_< But still...I knew it. I knew it all along. What's the one thing that won't be subject to a random search before it gets to travel in our air space? Birds. Clever, clever Canadians.
    I apologize for my ignorance, Ms. Nuri. At least we can both see that all troops must be pulled out of Afghanistan and Iraq and deployed to the Great White North. Maybe we can train little pigeons in our major cities to act as anti-geese missiles.
  • It was a big thing among the wildlife students at my college. They all flipped out over people saying "Canadian Geese," so I'm just doing my part to keep them sane. ^_~

Yes, we must crush them before they rise up, to demonstrate our clear superiority! I recommend fitting rednecks with jetpacks and having them police our airspace. With pigeon guns! I want to see someone modify a potato gun to be a pigeon gun.
  • I want to see someone modify a potato gun to be a pigeon gun.
    If only I had the Photoshop skills! I have the hilarious image in my mind.
  • I have had it with these muthafuckin' geese on this muthafuckin' plane!
    There's a meme that fuckin' died.
    There's a meme that fuckin' died.
    Once the movie was made, that pretty much killed it.
  • i wonder if someone will make a movie of this tragedy? i know someone will at least get a book deal.

I couldn't find a picture of a fat, indignant pigeon, so I went for the streamlined one.
  • Our machinations shall now be realized. Launch the pigeons!
  • edited January 2009

I knew Canada was up to no good with their military buildup over the last 10 years.
    i wonder if someone will make a movie of this tragedy? i know someone will at least get a book deal.
    I highly doubt it since there is no one to exploit. Not many are grieving over this mishap and that means no profit in their eyes.
    Post edited by Alan on

• I highly doubt it since there is no one to exploit. Not many are grieving over this mishap and that means no profit in their eyes.
    But if the captain or some such wrote a book, it would sell big time.
  • edited January 2009
    I am really impressed with the skill of the pilots. Also, I received this on the Internet today:
    Federal investigators are pursuing early indications that the US Air jet that
    landed in the Hudson yesterday was struck by Canada geese shortly after takeoff.
    Bush and Cheney, incorporating the Bush Doctrine to keep America full of freedom
    till the very end of their reign, will launch a preemptive nuclear strike
    against Canada just before passing off the nuclear codes to President Obama.
    "Just to give him a little boost"..
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on