This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would you care?

edited January 2009 in Forum Stuff
I'm thinking about putting some Google ads at the bottom of the sidebar in the forum. I'm not really thinking about doing it to make money. I'm doing it mostly just to see how Google ads work, and such. It's a learning experience. AdBlock will block the ads, so you smart people won't even see them. The only people who probably will see them are people who just end up at the forum after searching for something on Google, or from a link to the forum from some other web site.

So do you care if I put a few Google text ads down there on the left?

Comments

• edited January 2009
    This is all part of your master plan, isn't it?

Step 1: "We will never have any ads, evrar!"
    Step 2: "We will be experimenting with google ads on the forum. You know, just to see how they work"
    Step 3: Make her open the box.
    Step 4: "You must now watch 30 second ads before posting on the forum"
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2009
    Would you care?
    No.

Edit: Heck, if it actually made enough money to fund some Geeknights merchandise, I would be all for it.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • I wouldn't care. However, I would tease you.
  • edited January 2009
    This is all part of your master plan, isn't it?

Step 1: "We will never have any ads, evrar!"
    Step 2: "We will be experimenting with google ads on the forum. You know, just to see how they work"
    Step 3: Make her open the box.
    Step 4: "You must now watch 30 second ads before posting on the forum"
    We will never have ads ON GEEKNIGHTS. I guarantee it. That is what we have always said. If we are going to do ads, it will be on other things that are not GeekNights. For example, if a comic company wanted to sponsor Scott's box, I might do it more (again).
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I wouldn't notice unless you said it. Block and all.
  • edited January 2009
    Only if you add a link to Suffice to Say over there as well. Otherwise, I'm going to complain about how you're experimenting with something that's useless to us all rather than something trivially easy and actually useful.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm not really thinking about doing it to make money. I'm doing it mostly just to see how Google ads work, and such. It's a learning experience.
    Prove it. Do it on Apreche.net.
  • I don't know why you have such a strict anti-ad stance, especially in an era of adblocking extensions.

Go for it. Make some money off of the endeavor. Why not?
  • I say go for it. Everything is a learning experience.
  • I'm fine with it. As long as ad-block works put as many ads as you want on the site. You guys are one step closer to living off of Geeknights.
  • I won't care. I never pay attention to those ads anyway.
  • I'm not really thinking about doing it to make money. I'm doing it mostly just to see how Google ads work, and such. It's a learning experience.
    Prove it. Do it on Apreche.net.
    Wow, you're pretty staunch about it, eh? ^_^
  • Prove it. Do it on Apreche.net.
    That's not a bad idea. The only thing is that apreche.net doesn't get any traffic really, so it would be a pretty bad test.
  • Why don't you change the poll and see what people think of it?
  • So do you care if I put a few Google text ads down there on the left?
    Nope, but if you make a ton of monies I expect a big geeknights party.
  • You know, I actually enjoy some of the ad providers, like Project Wonderful. More often than not, I'm interested in the Project Wonderful Ads on my favorite sites. Google and the other big ad companies are not quite as good at providing interesting ads, but that's not to say they always fail. Of course, I block all the ads that aren't from PW, so I wouldn't really see them anyhow.

Plus, who really cares that much about ads? I'll watch the 30-second ads online to see my TV shows for free without having to torrent happily. I'm glad to support the shows I like without spending my own money. It's not like I'm gonna run out and buy Edge Shave Gel. The models saying words that don't exist annoy me, but I just ignore it. I'm usually doing something else anyway, like knitting. Same thing with the forum. If I don't like the ads, I'll just ignore them and do something else on the forum. No big deal.
  • You know, I actually enjoy some of the ad providers, like Project Wonderful. More often than not, I'm interested in the Project Wonderful Ads on my favorite sites. Google and the other big ad companies are not quite as good at providing interesting ads, but that's not to say they always fail. Of course, I block all the ads that aren't from PW, so I wouldn't really see them anyhow.
    This comment brought to you by Nuri and Project Wonderful. Please visit our sponsors!
  • This comment brought to you by Nuri and Project Wonderful. Please visit our sponsors!
    XD It should be noted that they're not paying me to say that. It just so happens that they're the only ad service I use because the way they work is, in fact, awesome.
  • I totally don't mind having ads on any website i visit. I don't use ad block, I am not stupid - I don't click on ads thinking they are content links etc.
    Most of the time I pay no attention to ads, but occasionally one will show up that is interesting to me; so why not click on it?

That being said, I'm happier to make donations to content providers I consume media from. Better yet, I'd love to be able to purchase merchandise as a way of supporting my favorite sites and content.
  • I'd love to be able to purchase merchandise as a way of supporting my favorite sites and content.
    "cough-cough" Geeknights t-shirts "Cough-cough" ;p
  • Um, raise your hand if you don't use Adblock.

*Crickets*
  • Just as long as the blocked images don't mess up the look of the forum (like what has happened to me on a few occasions), I think it would be good to experiment.
  • I don't know whether or not I use adblock, my brain doesn't even register that the ads exist. I swear I installed it, but I don't have the red adblock icon on the top right. Have I seen an ad recently? I have no idea.
  • I use adblock, so I wouldn't even see them. Besides, Scott, It's your site. Feel free.
  • Go ahead and do it, but it would probably be a good idea to add a link to adblock right above it, or something, so the overall no-advertisements Geeknights message isn't lost on new members.
  • Don't care. Never have; never will.
  • I don't know whether or not I use adblock, my brain doesn't even register that the ads exist. I swear I installed it, but I don't have the red adblock icon on the top right. Have I seen an ad recently? I have no idea.
    It's very possible you don't have it turned on in the toolbar or statusbar. Check your add ons list to see if it's installed.

Anyways- as long as the ads don't slip through adblock and don't mess up how the forum looks, go ahead.
  • Go for it.

Plus, I'm kinda interested in seeing what kind of context-related ads Google would provide this forum with. I suggest we try and bump up some totally ludicrous phrases to see what kinds of hi-larious Google ads we get.

Or we could talk about zombies a lot and make it a backup AZONS.
  • I love ads. They are my rays of s...sunshine...
  • I hope people like sitting in front row seats, lol.