This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would you care?

13»

Comments

• Oh, I see the ads at work beacuse the adblock here sucks and I am not allowed to change their set-up.
    Currently I see:
    2 ads for Airline Taxes
    1 ad for Goldtoe Women's Socks
    1 ad for a wireless ipod remote
    1 ad for JCrew

That is kind of a strange combination and I have no interest in any of it.
    How do they/you filter the ads?
  • How do they/you filter the ads?
    Google picks the ads automatically based on the words on the site showing the ads. Go into a video game thread, and see video game ads. If you go into a thread about bs medicine, you will see all the bs medicine ads. I filter them out by typing in the URLs into the filter on Google's site. I'm slowly but surely compiling a list of every site that advertises bs medicine on Google.

I think they also take into account your geography based on IP address. That's why I see a lot of ads for NY specific things.
  • This Project Wonderful seems interesting. Maybe I will try a bunch of different ad networks for 1 week each, just to see how they do.

Anyone know any others to try?
    It's made by the same guy who made Dinosaur Comics.
  • I personally didn't (and don't) mind the Google text ads. But I can see how the picture banner ads may turn some people off.
  • edited February 2009
    That depends on the website too. In this forum the ad on the right doesn't bother me. The ones that are a headache interfere with the flow of the site and seeing project wonderful is also nice since they are a friendly advertiser. I do like it that they don't detect, other than their main site, that you are using ad block and ask for you to turn it off. That really makes me not like a company when they ask me to disable something just for the reason to show me ads. If I wanted to see them I wouldn't have disabled them in the first place.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • In this forum the ad on the right doesn't bother me.
    Don't you mean left? ^_~
    Seriously though, this ad kind of bothers me a little, mainly because of the clean look of the forum.
  • Yeah right, left, center....

Ad block gets rid of it though :) With that advertisement company it is clean dirt if that makes much sense.
  • I'm testing all the big ad companies to see how they work.
  • I'm testing all the big ad companies to see how they work.
    To be honest, I don't mind the Project Wonderful advertisements - I've managed to get onto some fairly good webcomics via those ads.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm testing all the big ad companies to see how they work.
    To be honest, I don't mind the Project Wonderful advertisements - I've managed to get onto some fairly good webcomics via those ads.
    I got an ad for some sort of... anime parody game? I don't remember, but it was kinda nsfw. it was a side portait of someone while not/barely wearing any pants. I don't see it anymore though.

Edit: OH GOD IT'S BACK!

It's titled Billy vs. Snakeman.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • It's titled Billy vs. Snakeman.
    There's a funny story about that, actually... ^_~
  • Hmmm.... I have a PW account....
    And a few bucks to spend...
  • @Neito: We should start a pool to get Haruhi Scott onto the forum on april fools.
  • @Neito: We should start a pool to get Haruhi Scott onto the forum on april fools.
    How are you going to pull that off. HA!
  • edited February 2009
    We buy the advertising..?
    Also, the small picture we use for the advertising should link to a full sized version.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • There's no adblock for Safari on the iPod Touch. I wouldn't mind the ads if I didn't keep tapping them by accident. I don't realize I'm doing it until I change tabs and find random comic strip pages hanging around in the background.