This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Religion on Decline in the US,

Comments

• Who was I arguing with just the other day who said religion is not on the decline in the US? Oh yeah, it was Andrew.

I couldn't be happier about this; it proves an earlier assertion I made that religion thrives when it is restricted, and wilts when absolute freedom is granted to parishioners. Freedom of religion is the best thing that could happen to atheists, because Christianity is a lot like a rebellious teenager; when it is girded with rules, it gains strength and when it is given absolute freedom it behaves best.
  • From the article I can make two hypothesis.

Young people are eschewing religion for quite a few reasons. They don't need church every Sunday for socialization, thanks to the Internets. Also, young people see hypocrisy and injustice much more easily, and when they see religion being clearly on the wrong side of issues such as gay marriage or abortion, it doesn't help religion at all.

Old people are moving south and dying.

Also, the article seems to mention that there are many cultural/ethnic Jews, but it doesn't actually offer real numbers for them. I didn't realize the percentage of actual Jews was so low. It almost makes being culturally Jewish even more important, lest future generations will never know the joy that is the matzoh ball or the brisket.
  • From the article I can make two hypothesis.

Young people are eschewing religion for quite a few reasons. They don't need church every Sunday for socialization, thanks to the Internets. Also, young people see hypocrisy and injustice much more easily, and when they see religion being clearly on the wrong side of issues such as gay marriage or abortion, it doesn't help religion at all.

Old people are moving south and dying.

Also, the article seems to mention that there are many cultural/ethnic Jews, but it doesn't actually offer real numbers for them. I didn't realize the percentage of actual Jews was so low. It almost makes being culturally Jewish even more important, lest future generations will never know the joy that is the matzoh ball or the brisket.
    This is pretty much the case with a lot of people. I'm happy about it.
  • edited March 2009
    Good. Maybe once it dies out, we can move into a new age of reason.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Good. Maybe once it dies out, when can move into a new age of reason.
  • They don't need church every Sunday
    Most religious people I know don't seem to go to church very often.
  • Wow, I never knew there were so many Catholics in the United States. I always thought there would be more Baptists.
  • edited March 2009
    Who was I arguing with just the other day who said religion is not on the decline in the US? Oh yeah, it was Andrew.
    That's not what I was arguing. I specifically said there was no direct causation between the oppression of Christianity and an increase in followers.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited March 2009
    Who was I arguing with just the other day who said religion is not on the decline in the US? Oh yeah, it was Andrew.
    That's not what I was arguing. I specifically said there was no direct causation between the oppression of Christianity and an increase in followers.
    You lie, cheat, and steal. And your suits will never be as cool as Baltar's.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • It almost makes being culturally Jewish even more important, lest future generations will never know the joy that is the matzoh ball or the brisket.
    Maybe this is a ridiculous idea, but would you guys ever do a Thursday episode about culture Jewishness?
  • It almost makes being culturally Jewish even more important, lest future generations will never know the joy that is the matzoh ball or the brisket.
    Maybe this is a ridiculous idea, but would you guys ever do a Thursday episode about culture Jewishness?
    You mean Jewish culture, being ethnically Jewish, or what? Being ethnically Jewish (but not practicing the Jewish religion) is like being any other ethnicity: (1) you Grandparents have some interesting/outdated traditions, they make some food that you can't find in restaurants, and they may speak a few other languages; (2) Your parents still follow some of the old traditions, make some of the old food and may have a passing familiarity with the old tongue, but they are laxer about it and identify themselves less by their ethnic roots and more by their current nationality; (3) The youth, while being aware of the traditions, foods, and language does not make any of these aspects a major part of their lives and only engages in the older traditions at family gatherings.

Now, I am just a shiksa that married a Jew, but that has been my observation.
  • You mean Jewish culture, being ethnically Jewish, or what? Being ethnically Jewish (but not practicing the Jewish religion) is like being any other ethnicity:
    I mean whatever Scott meant. What makes it interesting to me is that it's so strongly associated with religion rather than nationality, like most other ethnicities are. Jews come from all over the world, but they still seem to have a very unified culture.
  • Living here in Alabama, while there are pockets of groups who worship other than Baptist or Methodist, those two groups are still the majority around here. It does tend to make things difficult for a Zen Buddhist like myself when the closest temple is in Atlanta, Georgia.
  • My hope for the future is not just Catholics and Christians reducing in numbers; but all religions. The most horrible things in history have been caused by holy wars and bigotry. Maybe the next generation will embrace good ideas instead of empty religions.
  • Zen can fuck right off. I've nothing agaist the idea, it's just one of those words which you always think should be but isn't in the Scrabble dictionary.
  • You mean Jewish culture, being ethnically Jewish, or what? Being ethnically Jewish (but not practicing the Jewish religion) is like being any other ethnicity:
    I mean whatever Scott meant. What makes it interesting to me is that it's so strongly associated with religion rather than nationality, like most other ethnicities are. Jews come from all over the world, but they still seem to have a very unified culture.
    That's because they own all the money. Solidarity and all that.
  • I think religion is definitely on the decline. People are wising up to the reality that Catholicism (which is by far the most popular religion around where I live) != logical thought. We're moving in to a new age of logical thinking.

I go to a Catholic private school, but I think there are more atheists there than at the local public school. Most of those kids go to church every week. We go to the church of Wal Mart and McDonalds.
  • Ugh, I certainly hope it's on the decline. Today there were at least three booths set up on campus with people giving literature basically saying Newton was a crack for using mathematics as a foundation for his laws of motion and gravity instead of god. The book was titled, "Finish the job god started and crush newton". Thankfully I had a few hours in between classes so I made it a game for me to summarily take apart each of their arguments and destroy them with science.

Apparently they also have a thing against Nancy Pelosi for not passing Larouche's economic plans. In case you didn't know, Larouche is a pretty crazy guy.
  • Today there were at least three booths set up on campus with people giving literature basically saying Newton was a crack for using mathematics as a foundation for his laws of motion and gravity instead of god.
    Thinking twice about going to Northridge now.
  • Why do institutes of learning allow such crackpots on their campuses?
    Because intelligent people don't oppress opposing schools of thought, they merely disprove them.
    Because intelligent people don't oppress opposing schools of thought, they merely disprove them.
    There is a difference between allowing religious thought on campus and allowing the distribution of materials that contain massive historical/factual errors to their students.
    There is a difference between allowing religious thought on campus and allowing the distribution of materials that contain massive historical/factual errors to their students.
    One of the great foundations of southern religion, Chik Tracks.
  • There is a difference between allowing religious thought on campus and allowing the distribution of materials that contain massive historical/factual errors to their students.
    I assert the two are one and the same. What is the difference?
  • edited March 2009
    Because there is a difference between learning about a religion and being inundated with propaganda.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • There is a difference between allowing religious thought on campus and allowing the distribution of materials that contain massive historical/factual errors to their students.
    Because there is a difference between learning about a religion and being inundated with propaganda.
    Their side says the same thing about science. Don't you want to be better than them?
    Their side says the same thing about science. Don't you want to be better than them?
    My problem is not there saying whatever they want, it is the venue and the appropriateness of that venue - just like religious propaganda in public schools. Private colleges/institutions should teach/retrict whatever they want. State sponsored colleges - not so much.
  • edited March 2009
    My problem is not there saying whatever they want, it is the venue and the appropriateness of that venue - just like religious propaganda in public schools. Private colleges/institutions should teach/retrict whatever they want. State sponsored colleges - not so much.
    Our school's Christian club gathers around the flagpole every few months in the morning to pray. As long as it's not organized by a member of the faculty, they have every right to do so.

And it's just like Jason said:
    Freedom of religion is the best thing that could happen to atheists, because Christianity is a lot like a rebellious teenager; when it is girded with rules, it gains strength and when it is given absolute freedom it behaves best.
    If you make them feel like they're being oppressed, they only get worse.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If your college or university is educating its students properly, those students will just laugh the tracksters off campus. So what's the big deal?
  • edited March 2009
    If your college or university is educating its students properly, those students will just laugh the tracksters off campus. So what's the big deal?
    Because there are more stupid people than you think, even in a good University.
    Living here in Alabama, while there are pockets of groups who worship other than Baptist or Methodist, those two groups are still the majority around here. It does tend to make things difficult for a Zen Buddhist like myself when the closest temple is in Atlanta, Georgia.
    I used to live in Alabama, and this is definitely true. I met all of two Catholics within a 50 mile radius of where I lived. All of the rest were baptist or Methodist.
    Also, are you Zen Buddhist because of the ideals, or do you actually believe in Buddha? I would be interested as to why if you do, and why you need to go to a temple if you do not. Obviously, you don't have to answer if you don't like, I'm just curious.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on