This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Religion on Decline in the US,

2»

Comments

• Limiting discourse is never the answer, unless you want to balkanize an opponent's position and allow them to play the victim card.
  • Why do institutes of learning allow such crackpots on their campuses?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm assuming that if there were booths set up on the campus, they had to pay the campus.
  • Why do institutes of learning allow such crackpots on their campuses?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm assuming that if there were booths set up on the campus, they had to pay the campus.
    I don't think that is necessarily the case, I think they usually just request permission on most campuses.
  • I understand you find this to be good news, but it's unrealistic to expect religion to simply wither away.
    The current weak image of religion stands on par with the low ebb recorded in the first half of the Clinton administration in the mid 1990s, but is still not quite as low as it was during the late 1960s and Vietnam War. The record low came in a 1970 Gallup Poll when only 14% of Americans said religion was increasing in influence at that time, while 75% thought it was losing influence.

Indeed, this measure of public perceptions about religion has been quite volatile over the forty-plus years of its existence, with shifts in perception often corresponding to major political events.
    Source.

I actually remember this. No one in the 60s would talk about religion. Everyone was embarrassed to admit that they believed in anything supernatural. Then came the mid 70s (and disco), and people started believing all kinds of crazy shit.

Religiosity simply varies somewhat periodically. You're simply not going to see a final, steep decline and end of religion. Source.

In fact, religion might be hard wired into some people's brains. Source.