This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How to Not Suck at Restaurants

Comments

• I like Panera's food, but I think I mostly go for the atmosphere. Living in the 'burbs, with the only real cafe closed for renovations and a name change, there's not many places to hang out.
    I agree. We have a Panera's right next to a Barnes and Noble near where I live and that is heaven for me. :D
  • I have problems eating at Panera because so much of their menu is so easy and cheap to make at home. Their "atmosphere" seems like a cheap set, in my opinion. That being said, I would opt for Panera over McDonalds any day.
  • You could say that for any deli.
  • You could say that for any deli.
    Yes, but Panera is over priced in comparison to the average deli in my area. My problem is the price to difficulty to prepare at home ratio.
  • I have problems eating at Panera because so much of their menu is so easy and cheap to make at home. Their "atmosphere" seems like a cheap set, in my opinion. That being said, I would opt for Panera over McDonalds any day.
    Panera makes the greatest bagels known to man. Now's where someone says, "Oh, X bagels that you haven't heard of are DELICIOUS" and I reply with "I don't give a good God damn."
    Panera makes the greatest bagels known to man.Now's where someone says, "Oh, X bagels that you haven't heard of are DELICIOUS" and I reply with "I don't give a good God damn."
    I shall take the fresh baked bagels in a deli any day over Panera...however they are good if you can not get the alternative.
  • Panera makes the greatest bagels known to man.Now's where someone says, "Oh, X bagels that you haven't heard of are DELICIOUS" and I reply with "I don't give a good God damn."
    You don't know shit about bagels.
  • Panera makes the greatest bagels known to man.Now's where someone says, "Oh, X bagels that you haven't heard of are DELICIOUS" and I reply with "I don't give a good God damn."
    Panera bagels aren't even bagels. You are free to like them, but what you like isn't bagel. It may look like one, but it definitely does not taste like one. It is unto a bagel what White Castle is unto a burger.

There's no "X" bagel that is better, because there aren't brands of bagels. There are simply bagels made by people who know what they're doing (fresh), and fake, shitty bagels.
  • Now's when I say, "I don't give a good God damn."
  • You should know better to argue bagels with a NYC Jew. For shame!
  • Now's when I say, "I don't give a good God damn."
    Then why say anything? You basically said the equivalent of "White Castle makes the best burgers in the world," and somehow don't expect everyone in the world to disagree. ^_~
  • I finally caught up with this episode. The "How not to suck at eating out?" intro made me piss myself laughing! Good episode, too, though should maybe have been called "How not to suck at going to a restaurant with a group of people". I look forward to hearing about trips to Costa Rica and new jobs.
  • edited May 2009
    Then why say anything? You basically said the equivalent of "White Castle makes the worst burgers in the world," and somehow don't expect people who've been brought up on White Castle to disagree. ^_Q
    Fixed the analogy. Bagels..

I wonder if you raised someone exclusively on bagels then introduced them to real bread they'd react in the same way as the other way round. "This bagel is all soft!? WFT?"

On another note: What are the Geekhouse plans concerning 101MB/s Internet? Any chance we could get a Tribes 2 server out of it? The regularly used ones run bollocks map rotations.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    I go there because I like the bread. That's pretty much it.

And before Rym and Scott say, "Panera makes dense, shitty bread," your bread should be dense. Light, fluffy, airy bread is for pussies who don't like real food.
  • edited May 2009
    And before Rym and Scott say, "Panera makes dense, shitty bread,", in my opinion, your breadshouldbe dense. Light, fluffy, airy bread is for pussies who don't like real food.
    Seriously people, tastes in bread are not universal constants.
    In addition, the opinions expressed in the quote are mostly wrong. Manly sandwiches are all about the thickness of bread.
  • edited May 2009
    And before Rym and Scott say, "Panera makes dense, shitty bread,", in my opinion,your breadshouldbe dense. Light, fluffy, airy bread is for pussies who don't like real food.
    Seriously people, tastes in bread are not universal constants.
    In addition, the opinions expressed in the quote are mostly wrong. Manly sandwiches are all about the thickness of bread.
    A manly sandwich should be a large hunk of raw bleeding meat between two loaves of bread. Possibly an olive skewered with a toothpick on top.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Panera makes dense, shitty bread
    But Panera bread is dense in the bad, cheap way. The difference between their bread and bread from a good bakery is night and day. Panera is one of those last-resort food options when there's nothing else around. It's above Subway, but below just about anything real. The food is just all vaguely bland and unduly heavy for what it is.
  • Does America have the kind of bakery that sells pastries and the like?
  • edited May 2009

And before Rym and Scott say, "Panera makes dense, shitty bread," your breadshouldbe dense. Light, fluffy, airy bread is for pussies who don't like real food.
    Okay, so I'm a wuss, but fresh french bread is amazing. Go argue with some French and Italians about bread.
    Does America have the kind of bakery that sells pastries and the like?
    *facepalm* Yes! I think that's a little bit of a silly question. One would have thought you'd have realized that out by now, if just by listening to Rym and Scott.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited May 2009
    *facepalm* Yes! I think that's a little bit of a silly question. One would have thought you'd have realized that out by now, if just by listening to Rym and Scott.
    How many times have you been amazed at the things another country does/doesn't have that you take for granted?
  • Yeah, but I must say, I read enough books and watch enough entertainment from the UK to know that you have decent bakeries. I kinda assumed the same in reverse for you. Seriously, no pastry shops in NYC?
  • edited May 2009
    Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised either way. It's just one of those things where you're like:

"They have A round here, right?"
    "What? Oh yeah, of course, why the hell wouldn't we have A?"
    "Oh, and you've got B too, I'd assume."
    "Of course, every where's got B."

"Oh, ok then, I suppose it isn't that different after all. Let's just get some C and go home."
    "C..?"
    "C.. you might call them something different, you know, with the holes."
    "What the hell is a C?"
    "You don't have C..? Seriously."
    "What? Why would anyone want to eat one of those?"

Kinda thing.
  • edited May 2009
    But Panera bread is dense in the bad, cheap way. The difference between their bread and bread from a good bakery is night and day.
    Well, if you're getting bread that's been sitting around for a while, sure. Panera bread fresh from baking, though, is quite good artisan-style bread. Bread from you local small bakery might be more reliably fresh, but if it sits around, it'll wind up tasting like Panera after a while. At the end of the day, it's flour, water, salt, and yeast. That's it. You can't actually vary it that much, or you won't wind up with something edible. And no bakery can bake bread to order, so the odds are pretty good that walking into any bakery, your bread is not going to be fresh out of the oven. If the place does brisk business, this is especially true.

If you think Panera is too dense, you don't like bread of that density. You like lighter breads. Seriously, what is the "bad, cheap" type of density?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • NYC has C. As long as it isn't terribly dangerous or unhealthy, I promise, somewhere, NYC has C.
  • NYC has C. As long as it isn't terribly dangerous or unhealthy, I promise, somewhere, NYC has C.
    Leeds usually has A and maybe B but C is way out.
  • Seriously, what is the "bad, cheap" type of density?
    1. The bread at Paneras I've been to has always been pretty stale.
    2. The don't have a particularly wide variety of bread.
    3. Their dense breads aren't as flavorful as the ones I get from the bakery.
    4. Even if you get fresh-baked bread, the actual sandwiches they make are terribly, terribly uninteresting and largely pretty bland.
    5. The most important neighbor to bread - soup - is mad weak at Panera.

I've had dark, heavy breads that were awesome from real bakeries. At Panera, similar breads are bland by comparison, and always taste vaguely as though they've been sweetened unduly. OK bread coupled with otherwise mediocre food makes for a fairly sub-optimal experience. There's a reason there aren't any Paneras in Manhattan. ^_~
    You should move to the coast, they have C there, plenty of it.
  • edited May 2009
    NYC has C. As long as it isn't terribly dangerous or unhealthy, I promise, somewhere, NYC has C.
    You should move to the coast, they have C there, plenty of it.
    Your Mom has plenty of C to go 'round.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
    edited May 2009
    You're Mom has plenty of C to go 'round.
    Well, your grammar and spelling doesn't have to be from C.
    Post edited by ... on
  • 5. The most important neighbor to bread - soup - is mad weak at Panera.
    I'll grant you that much. Not a fan of Panera's soup. The Asiago Roast Beef sandwich, though? Damn tasty. Breakfast is shit.
    and always taste vaguely as though they've been sweetened unduly
    Your taste buds are broken, you're romanticizing New York City bakeries and pooh-poohing mainstream bakeries, or you're getting a sourdough bread or a bread that is specifically sweetened.

I think you just can't handle real, manly breads. :P