This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 091019 - Use Your Tech!

edited October 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss people not using technology they already have. In the news, Droid does what iDon't and reverse doomsday at the LHC.

Comments

• I have a dryer. I do not use it. After all, I can just hang my laundry on a rack and get it dried for free.
  • So the thing with the entangled photons goes like this: Think about a piece of paper and (with your eyes shut) tear it into two pieces and put those pieces into boxes and take those boxes to the opposite ends of the Universe at light speed. Now these pieces of paper are connected or "entangled" because the state of one depends on the state of the other. Opening one of the boxes will reveal exactly as much information as is needed to completely describe the way that the paper was torn (this can be quite a lot of information if you go to the atomic level). You also now know, instantly, the information content of the box at the other end of the Universe seemingly at grater than light speed. The problem is that it only appears as if the information somehow magically traveled from one end of the Universe to the other. Let's say you want to send the message "Attack the Glargons", how do you do that? This is not possible without sending an additional message to clarify what a certain way of the tearing of the paper means.

The thing that confuses most people is that you can "fiddle" with the photons, i.e., you can decide in which orientation you measure the polarization. You hear about "wave functions collapsing" and "spooky action at a distance" but all this does is add a level of mathematical complexity, it does not change the applicability of the "paper" analogy above. Also, moving only one of the boxes will not magically make opening the boxes retro-causal.

And while I'm on the subject, reverse causality is verboten on the same level as breaking the second law of thermodynamics. This does not mean that it doesn't have applicability, it has been used to explain, e.g., the existence of positrons, the anti particle of the electron. Invariably better explanations crop up, and in that case, what initially was classified as particles with negative energy moving backwards in time become anti-particles moving forward in time. If you have reverse causality (or "stuff going backwards in time") in your theory (as e.g. some string theory models have) it just means that there is something that you haven't yet fully understood.

More important than all of this, is to understand that he playground of all these ideas are exotic theoretical situations and gedanken experiments which have little if nothing to do with anything that could even theoretically exist in nature (intersecting ring shaped charged black holes anyone?). And the problem is that sometimes these things get picked up by the mainstream media and presto: "The LHC Destroys the Universe Because it can Create Strange Matter False Vacua!"
  • There is a special place in hell for people who don't use their cruise control.

And I wish I had a programmable thermostat, but...20 year old apartment.

Also, no firearms on amazon. :(
  • There is a special place in hell for people who don't use their cruise control.
    I completely failed to see the use for cruise control until I drove a car in the states.
    I've never been that fussed with cruise control - I've driven cars with it, but I've never owned one that has it, and it's never bothered me.
  • I've never been that fussed with cruise control - I've driven cars with it, but I've never owned one that has it, and it's never bothered me.
    Have you ever driven on a long straight road with no stops for an hour?
  • Have you ever driven on a long straight road with no stops for an hour?
    What bothers me is I'm trying to maintain a constant to maximize my fuel efficiency and I'm constantly having to overtake and be overtaken by the same person! What really irks me is when I pull out to overtake them and they speed up and match my speed! As I don't want to be the dick camping in the left lane I now have to choose to either slow and get behind them or burn fuel to get in front of them. ARGH!!!!

On a side note, since I've stopped driving on a regular basis, my tolerance for stupid driving has diminished significantly.
  • On a side note, since I've stopped driving on a regular basis, my tolerance for stupid driving has diminished significantly.
    What's even worse than bad drivers is bad traffic signals. I had the great displeasure of driving around Queens last weekend. As I went down the road, the lights turned red in the opposite direction. I was going straight down a long road, and had to stop at almost every single light. It was horrendous. If the lights had simply been timed properly, it would have been a pleasure.

If I had any sort of say in government I would start by sending out engineers to optimize existing infrastructure while I made plans to upgrade.
  • What bothers me is I'm trying to maintain a constant to maximize my fuel efficiency and I'm constantly having to overtake and be overtaken by the same person! What really irks me is when I pull out to overtake them and they speed up and match my speed! As I don't want to be the dick camping in the left lane I now have to choose to either slow and get behind them or burn fuel to get in front of them. ARGH!!!!
    That sounds more like people just not being able to drive consistently than not using cruise control. Most (older) cars don't have cruise control, how is that in the states?

Personally I do not really like cruise control. My right leg grows very uncomfortable after 10 to 20 minutes of turning on the cruise control compared to never having problems when driving without it for hours. My leg just cramps up doing nothing but pointing my foot up and hovering above the pedals.
  • My leg just cramps up doing nothing but pointing my foot up and hovering above the pedals.
    Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Don't do that.

When using cruise control, I just put my foot flat on the floor, as if I were sitting in the passenger seat.
  • My leg just cramps up doing nothing but pointing my foot up and hovering above the pedals.
    Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Don't do that.

When using cruise control, I just put my foot flat on the floor, as if I were sitting in the passenger seat.
    Same. You have to fully embrace the relaxed, American way of traveling.
  • Oh, it also helps that my cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel. I can accelerate and decelerate in 1mph increments by pushing buttons. Don't know how I could use cruise control without that ability.
  • Oh, it also helps that my cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel. I can accelerate and decelerate in 1mph increments by pushing buttons. Don't know how I could use cruise control without that ability.
    I've never come across a cruise control system that did not have this ability.
  • I've never come across a cruise control system that did not have this ability.
    I remember in my youth that some of the cars my parents had the cruise control pretty much only had on/off. You had to get to the speed you wanted with the gas pedal, and then set. I can do this now, but in those older cars it was the only way. I wish I could remember what car it was, but that was the '80s.
    Mine adjusts by 3 mph.
    Mine adjusts by 3 mph.
    That sounds borked to me.

Also, why has no one seen the new Droid yet? Why can't they market it and sell it at the same time? I want one now!
    Mine adjusts by 3 mph.
    That sounds borked to me.
    It works just fine for me.
  • My cruise control is broken :(
  • My cruise control is broken :(
    Fail. Mine seemed to break randomly for a long while until I realized that the clutch wasn't coming all the way up a turning off the cruise control as a result. Put my foot under the clutch, pull it up, and I have my cruise control again. ^_^
  • edited October 2009
    Have you ever driven on a long straight road with no stops for an hour?
    Scott, I'm from Australia. I can hardly get anywhere other than places within my hometown without driving in a straight line for at least an hour.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott, I'm from Australia. I can hardly get anywhere other than places within my hometown without driving in a straight line for at least an hour.
    Then not using cruise control is crazy.
  • edited October 2009
    Then not using cruise control is crazy.
    I didn't say I don't use it. I just said that I'm not fussed. No car I've owned has ever had cruise control, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've driven cars that have it, and it's nice, but I can take it or leave it. It's a non-issue for me. I've driven from Brisbane to Perth and also from Brisbane to Sydney in pretty much one go without cruise control, and it really didn't bother me.

Why is it crazy not to, anyway? Doesn't seem like something that really effects things that much, except for your own comfort and ease, which is a purely subjective measurement.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Why is it crazy not to, anyway? Doesn't seem like something that really effects things that much, except for your own comfort and ease, which is a purely subjective measurement.
    As I said before, people around me who can't maintain a fixed speed. Very annoying.
  • As I said before, people around me who can't maintain a fixed speed. Very annoying.
    Then they need to learn to fucking drive, not just get cruise control. Treat the problem, not the symptom.
  • I like having controls for my radio on my steering wheel as well as the cruise control. It helps me pay attention to the road instead of trying bending at weird angles to try to find a station.
  • edited October 2009
    Then they need to learn to fucking drive, not just get cruise control. Treat the problem, not the symptom.
    I can maintain a set speed just fine without cruise control, it's everyone else that needs to learn to fucking drive. Speeding up and slowing down is not good when you're trying to maximize efficiency on a 200 mile drive.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited October 2009
    I can maintain a set speed just fine without cruise control, it's everyone else that needs to learn to fucking drive. Speeding up and slowing down is not good when you're trying to maximize efficiency on a 200 mile drive.
    I certainly can keep a set speed without cruise control, but cruise control allows me to sit more comfortably for a bit.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I can maintain a set speed just fine without cruise control, it's everyone else that needs to learn to fucking drive. Speeding up and slowing down is not good when you're trying to maximize efficiency on a 200 mile drive.
    They, not you.
  • Believe me, if I had either cruise control or a radio/CD/iPod system in my car, I would use the hell out of them. The only thing I wouldn't use in a newer car would be A/C, cause it's a waste of energy when rolling down the windows does a good enough job. Of course, it doesn't tend to get very hot where I live.